Previous   Next

Is there any basketball team with a bigger home court advantage than the Jayhawks?

Asked at Shell, 1733 Mass. on February 12, 2005

Browse the archives

“No one has more commitment than KU’s fans and alumni. Duke might come in a distant second.”

“I think we have the best, loudest and most hostile environment for teams to play in. Second is Chapel Hill and then the Pit in New Mexico.”

“I don’t know. I haven’t been to that many stadiums, but the Fieldhouse gets really loud.”

“No, I don’t think so. We’re pretty wild here. The fans take their basketball to heart.”

Comments

italianprincess 9 years, 10 months ago

I haven't had the experience of going to a game yet, but hope to one day.

I watch at home and everyone looks like they are having a blast.

I would love to take my little one to a game, but the tickets can be quite expensive. If we did go to a game I would like to have good seats so he can see the court.

Au_contraire 9 years, 10 months ago

Allen Fieldhouse and I are the same age. We both made our debut within a few months of each other. Sometimes I get confused as to who is which.

I haven't always had the home court advantage. There was that home winning streak during the eighties when Larry was here and KSU came in and messed it all up. After the busses departed for Manhattan, the place was an eerie quiet. Fogg Allen was scowling.

He's usually such a jovial fellow. I think that's maybe because he doesn't have to cough up four times his salary to the Williams Fund for good seats.

missmagoo 9 years, 10 months ago

I was thinking that the only way Allen Fieldhouse could get any better is if they wrapped the student section around the court like Duke does. It would only make things that more intimidating.

But yes, AF is the ultimate experience.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 10 months ago

While I think there are many more important issues....the answer is PERISH THE THOUGHT.

remember_username 9 years, 10 months ago

It was a "few" years ago and I had never been to a basketball game before. On my fortieth birthday some of my students supplied the ticket, arranged the waiting process, and herded me to a seat about three rows back in the student section.

Waiting at the entrance before the door opened, surrounded by crazed creatures half my age, took me all the way back to 1974, California Jam, and 200,000 rockers. This day at Allen Field house was the same; surrounded so close it was impossible to fall down. I remember commenting to no one in particular "I can't move, I can't even get my hand out of my pocket - oh wait, that's not my pocket".

Then comes the rush near at door, moving from the dark to the bright lights of arena. The sense of excitement mixed with a feeling that you've been swallowed by a living shrine. Watching the students around me so I could properly follow all the traditions, the newspapers, confetti, always ALWAYS standing, the waves, the shouts, and the stomping. Stomping so loud I was afraid the roof would fall in, and so fast my heart picked up its rhythm and I felt a sense of euphoria from the rush. Wow!

There was much more and like 1974 it is kind of a blur, the Jayhawks won of course I remember that. But man, what a birthday experience, what a memory it is. I feel sorry for all those other people who attended their first basketball game in some lesser venue. To see your first game elsewhere would be like losing your virginity to a prostitute regret always your first time wasn't in Allen Field House.

simple_simon 9 years, 10 months ago

The AF is just one of those places that opponents dread coming to. It's loud and it's intimidating!! GO HAWKS!!!

brad 9 years, 10 months ago

Allen is so amazing because the Phog Phanatics actually understand the game. I love when thousands of people all scream "WALK" when they see an opponent traveling, or when the place gets going on a good defensive play. Any fan can get riled for a dunk, but in the Fieldhouse, the game of basketball is revered.

I will say I think the Dukies are slightly more hardcore since they have to camp in the cold. But many editorials about Cameron suggest that the fans spend so much time "being part of it" they sometimes miss the action on the court.

Au_contraire 9 years, 10 months ago

I'll tell you one reason Allen Fieldhouse has a home court advantage: Mizzou is finishing OT against OK and KSU is in OT with Texas. Jayhawks are into the first few minutes of the game against CO and...

I CANNOT WATCH THE GAME ON TV!!

mom_of_three 7 years ago

Even the experts agree that Allen Fieldhouse is one of the best places to play in the nation. Duke's arena has the fans closer, which would be great to do here, but almost impossible.
Went with my mom to her first game at Allen last year, and she couldn't believe the noise level, after watching it on tv all those years..