Previous   Next

Do snowstorms bother you?

Asked at Downtown Lawrence on February 9, 2005

Browse the archives

“No. Snow makes things prettier when it’s cold. I don’t have a car, so I don’t worry about driving.”

“This is Kansas. If you live in Kansas, you get used to it.”

“No. It goes with the season. It makes things more interesting. It slows things down.”

“It’s better than ice. It doesn’t bother me as long as there’s no wind and it isn’t 5 or 6 degrees above zero.”

Comments

Jayhawk226 9 years, 10 months ago

Snowstorms don't bother me....but this does:

When I lived in Chicago, we would get 12 inches of snow and it would jam traffic for an added 30-45 minutes one-way.

When we get 3 inches in Kansas City, traffic becomes snarled for 2- 2 1/2 hours?!!? Are you kidding me?

People say winter in Chicago is worse? Weather-wise, sure is...but at least, people can be at peace-of-mind and not freak out over a snow dusting (if you can handle not seeing the sun for 9 straight weeks that is).

Sorry for the rant...guess I'm still pissed myself at yesterday's laborious commute home.

lunacydetector 9 years, 10 months ago

The snow storms wouldn't bother me, if the street crews could get the job done!!! It used to be, that the street crews were on top of cleaning the roads - now they don't have enough money.

Perhaps the city of lawrence should stop spending so much g*ddamn money on roundabouts and sock some money away so more crews could be available to clean off the freaking streets.

Not everyone lives downtown and walks to work!!! Wake up city communists, i mean commissioners.

ms_canada 9 years, 10 months ago

Boy, would I ever be living in the wrong place if I were bothered by 3 inches of snow. We had 4 inches on Sun. and 3 on Mon. I might be nuts, but I kind of like shovelling the stuff. Some times when it is real cold, it may take me three attempts to get it all moved. But as far as traffic goes, maybe we here in the frozen north are more used to driving in the stuff than you guys in Kansas. There doesn't ever seem to be a problem. We all have snow tires, can't be without them. The only thing troublesome is freezing rain which we did have a couple of weeks ago. That was pure misery. I remember years back when it was piled so high on the sides of my driveway that I could not see to back my car out and I had a big car in those days. Now even in my little Taurus, I never have any trouble. The weather is changing. We never get any days and days of 38 and 40 below anymore. And I am talking Celcius. Of course, I hope you all know that 40 below C. is the same as 40 below F. Can someone tell me who Phog Allen is? Have a nice day, folks!

Fangorn 9 years, 10 months ago

Ms_Canada: It's probably strange for someone who lives with real snow to hear a city whining about a mere 3 inches! (btw, Phog Allen was a KU basketball coach many years ago. Allen Fieldhouse, the building where the basketball Jayhawks play, is named after him.)

I echo Jayhawk226's remarks. The snow isn't the problem, the extra drive time is. I grew up in Nebraska with a lot more snow than we seem to be able to handle around here. If you can't drive on it, stay home!

remember_username 9 years, 10 months ago

As an owner of a Jeep Wrangler I am not bothered by snowstorms - in fact they are quite fun! On the other hand I've enough EMT experience to cringe for those on duty when the roads get dangerous.

Jayhawk226 - I sympathize. It's all about what the locals are used to. When I was living in CA those drivers would freak out and slow way down for a little light rain.

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 9 years, 10 months ago

ms_canada, driving in snow wouldn't be a problem here if the city had the budget to spread salt and run snow plows. A couple years ago, Kansas City, KS used up its entire snow removal budget by late November! I moved here from Cleveland where it wasn't unusual to get nine inches of snow in a 24 hour period, but the city had scores of plows and salt trucks immediately addressing the problem. When I first moved to Kansas City, we had a snow storm that dumped seven inches of snow and I didn't see a plow for three days. People just drove over it, making it packed and icy. Nobody can drive effectively in conditions like that.

wichita_reader 9 years, 10 months ago

I think Kansas farmers need all the moisture they can get, whatever form it may take.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 10 months ago

I love snow but, for the life of me, I can't understand how the midwest always seems to freak out and shutdown if we get a tiny bit of snow! I used to live in Connecticut and we'd get one or two feet of snow and still have school. Here, the University shuts down early b/c of three inches!

Yesterday, there were cars plowing into each other all over the place. People acted shocked when their cars would slide?! Uh, hello, it's snowing outside!! This generally means that you've got to slow down and drive a tad more cautious than normal.

To the city I have this to say: It's called a "snow plow". It's not a recent invention...look into it!! Do you all really think that just putting sand down is going to make everything all right. This is the only friggin' city I have ever lived in where they plow the parking lots and leave the streets!!

italianprincess 9 years, 10 months ago

Being from California, I'm really not a snow person. I guess you would say I'm a beach girl at heart.

I don't mind the snow because it does look pretty for a few days, then after that it melts, the mud comes and its ugly then.

Haven't truely seen a snow storm since we moved here in 97 and others say out snow is nothing compared to what they get. The streets are clear now, so the driving is better and people can drive normal again.

jonas 9 years, 10 months ago

Walking to campus sucked today. It was really, really cold at 8:30AM.

italianprincess 9 years, 10 months ago

I don't like the cold either. Wishing Spring comes soon, then Summer to follow early.