Previous   Next

What are you doing to take advantage of the warm weather?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 28, 2005

Browse the archives

“Walking my dog and doing some after Christmas shopping downtown.”

“Today I’m spending time outside riding my bike, but I’ll have to stay inside for work most of the day tomorrow.”

“I’m supposed to be at work, but I’m just killing time. I work outside anyway, so I appreciate the warm weather either way.”

“Just walking around. I’m here from Oregon, and we all brought our cold weather clothes and long underwear, but here it is 60 degrees in Kansas. What a shock.”

Related story

Comments

Nikki May 9 years, 4 months ago

had the kids' new trampoline set up, and we all jumped on it. Big fun!!!

bankboy119 9 years, 4 months ago

Should we ban trampolines too? I'm thinking no. Trampolines are awesome!

trinity 9 years, 4 months ago

trampolines are the schiznat! we had one for years, when my young'uns were young, and they had a blast with it. and only occasional owies, nothin' major. ya just never hear about the countless trampoline jumpers who never experience owies, only hear about the owies.

blessed3x 9 years, 4 months ago

If it wasn't for trampolines, where would "America's Funniest Home Videos" get their material?

Nothing better than watchin' two drunk rednecks try to jump off the roof of their mobile home onto the trampoline! :-)

Good stuff.

Topside 9 years, 4 months ago

Nothing, the rest of the family all has the flu so I get to play nursemaid.

Dixie Jones 9 years, 4 months ago

awww that stinks top sorry to hear that ,,, yes im thinkin the city will put a ban on trampolines before long , you do know insurance companys dont like you having one and some say your insurance will go up if you have one ... we had a broken arm from a trampoline... and we sold it cause we could see a broken neck in the funture .... be safe on them trampolines folks fun indeed but dangerous..where did our nice weather go ??? i want it back ... nice for the kidos to get out and about while on break .... i had spring fever did all my usual yard spring cleaning ... have a wonderful wednesday all !

imagold 9 years, 4 months ago

Roundabouts...the perfect place for a trampoline. Something for the kids to do while we sit there deciding who goes next.

trinity 9 years, 4 months ago

trampolines are exceptionally good for adults, too...umm, i'm referring to when the kids are in bed asleep, the middle of the night type fun. ;)

Crispian Paul 9 years, 4 months ago

Kansas Department of Health and Environment says that foster parents licensed in this state are not allowed to have trampolines because of the risk associated with them. However, I had one as a kid and we loved it, especially since my sister and I were gymnasts.

sweetpeagj 9 years, 4 months ago

I am so glad to hear that is warm in Lawrence again. Enjoy such a beautiful day and make the most of it. Me, I had to do some cleaning of bird cages and toys. Yucky stuff. I would rather curl up with a book out on the porch and just read and enjoy the sun. Trampolines are great fun. Hope all enjoy the action ;)

glockenspiel 9 years, 4 months ago

Although it sounds like fun, jumping off a roof onto a trampoline hurts like hell. Your legs recoil much faster than your body does and you've got a good chance of ramming your own knee into your jaw.

However, being drunk (I've been told that I have the red-neck part already), might alleviate these problems.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 4 months ago

Owning a trampoline has its ups and down.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 4 months ago

just get outside...however today is "blustery" re per the weather article elsewhere this site, so no more nice weather!

there is far too much "red neck" reference going on...in today's politically correct world, when you're going to say "red neck" just stop and smile and say "agro-american" instead, thank you for caring!

from: the Domestic association of red neck integration and Transition (DARNIT).

OMB: LOL! "you'll poke somebody's eye out!"

at least the mud is drying up.
okay, yesterday there was not a majority or even a plurality for one state in the vote to eject. however, some participants had innovative suggestions for expanding the U.S.

where in the world would you find a place you'd like to add to the U.S.? I think it would be cool if we just annexed india and pakistan. then, they couldn't fight each other anymore! and we'd no longer be "outsourcing jobs" to india, just transfering jobs to the american state of India!

bankboy119 9 years, 4 months ago

gnome, I posted yesterday we need to annex Mexico, then we wouldn't be losing so much revenue to the country. Besides, if we annexed Mexico, the kids wouldn't be able to drink at 18 in Cancun or wherever else they go. It would be safer for the children. We would be able to get a much shorter border as well....who does Mexico border? The price to build a fence in those countries would be a lot less than to put one up for Mexico, we would also have cheaper labor to put it up down there. Oh and we would have more ports to help quicken the process of receiving imports from the East.

craigers 9 years, 4 months ago

Can you imagine the hibee jeebees that Trinity's kids would get if they only knew what went on on their trampoline in the middle of the night? I would never touch that trampoline again until a good rainstorm if you know what I mean. Definitely could be fun and I had one for a few years when I lived at home and a friend of mine was jumping on it on senior skip day and went right through where the stitches were and that was the end of that. They are also good for tanning since the black just soaks in the heat. As for the warm air, I got to change my oil and move some furniture since the weather was nice.

ms_canada 9 years, 4 months ago

So, I take it is warm in Lawrence. Same here. About the second brown Christmas I have seen in all the years I have been here. (Since 1953) It is very strange with no snow. Oh well, we can play games. I am all for a few games of yahtzee or scrabble. Or we could go for a nice long walk. Oh oh, I am getting a migraine and have the aura, a blind spot in the middle of this page, gotta go quick, find my pills. bye

Fangorn 9 years, 4 months ago

Not scooping snow. Or trying to avoid other motorists who don't know how to drive in it.

Ceallach 9 years, 4 months ago

Hey to all, happy Wednesday.

I took advantage of yesterday's weather by taking walks and shopping. My mother headed South this morning, I was grateful for every degree of warmth Kansas managed to generate for the last week, she needed it :) Today however I will take advantage of having a garage for protection while I sand some cabinet doors.

I'm reluctant to say that I think trampolines are a lot of fun for adults and children. If word gets out that too many people are enjoying them the banning will begin for sure! Trampolines and other playground equipment or toys are usually as safe for children as anything else with proper adult supervision.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 4 months ago

Just had a two-hour lunch on company time. That's how I spent my nice day!

Is a thing you bounce on that has a broken leg a tramp-o-lean?

Nope - I will not trade my pun book I got for Christmas.

Ceallach 9 years, 4 months ago

I know what you mean e_m. I have the thermostat at 66 especially after my latest love note from Aquila!!! I am now trying to go even lower to recoup from the energy used to keep my house at 72 for almost a week for Ms Texas :) At 72 degrees she was still cold and wrapped in fleece throws!! Just spoke with her to check on her safe arrival -- says she has finally thawed out -- sisters had to let me know they were BBQ'n on this warm sunny day -- so here's my :-P to them!!!

ms_c, hope you are feeling better soon. Wish I could watch the a b tonight, hope you have a chance.

Hey there gnome -- how did gnome dog taking advantage of the warm day?

bthom37 9 years, 4 months ago

I took the day off and spent the morning talking to the bureaucracy at KU. Now that's taking advantage of the weather!

And Savannah Craven has a super villainess name. That's kind of awesome.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 4 months ago

MSC: where I grew up, we had sage growing wild. you had one o'dem headaches, you brewed very strong sage tea to stop the headache. it worked, but really tasted like hell! I'm not kidding.

Ceallach, glad you got out! it was nice. gnomedog and I did his obedience outside in the backyard, as we always used to until the bad weather...he liked that. right now, my walking distance is limited temporarily. he'd have enjoyed a long walk, but he's very understanding.

bankboy...interesting idea! you think they'd vote mostly red or blue? if blue, maybe we take over mexico but treat them like the district of Columbia?

trampolines...gas/electric bills...for being a mostly vacation day you all have been busy!

bearded_gnome 9 years, 4 months ago

*[insert teletype bell sound effect] newsflash: I have it on good authority that the local housing authority has outlawed tennants owning trampolines on their homes/apartments which they rent from the Housing Authority...they've also outlawed other "attractive nuisances."

attractive nuisance...hmmm

bearded_gnome 9 years, 4 months ago

boog would be a better mayor of Paris, than Lawrence! make them bathe every day? "lemon curry?"

killjoy 9 years, 4 months ago

I met some kids at the park Wed. morning and taught them a new game using ropes; it's called, "can you get out of this one" I plan to go back tomorrow...and see how they're doing.