Previous   Next

Should the state charge people who test positive for illegal drugs with possession?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on August 31, 2005

Browse the archives

“No. It’s not really in their possession. It’s already inside their body and not on their person.”

“I think they should if it’s a situation where there was a possibility that they were endangering others.”

“In the case of hard drugs, I think they should because they are more harmful. If they let them go, the problem will just keep happening.”

“No. Personally, I’m of the mind that you are free to do with your body what you will, as long as you are not endangering other people’s lives.”

Related story

Comments

Richard Heckler 9 years, 7 months ago

The answer is no as this type of law would be abused.

If one has been involved in an accident and testing is done which tests positive a person can now be charged with driving under the influence. So leave it that.

The war on drugs has been an absolute failure. Remember the cocaine for weapons episode?

Different_View 9 years, 7 months ago

No. It's just one more way for the government to try and control our lives.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 7 months ago

The answer is no as this type of law would be abused.

If one has been involved in an accident and testing is done which tests positive a person can now be charged with driving under the influence. So leave it at that.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 7 months ago

Ummmm, no, I don't think so. (answering today's ?)

e_m, that "intent to distribute" joke was just too funny too early in the morning. Ha!

redneckgal, left you a message at bottom of yesterday's posts since I know we're all sick of hearing about ETHANOL and BIODIESEL. (so I won't mention ETHANOL or BIODIESEL on today's board) :)

neopolss 9 years, 7 months ago

Boy is this question invasive. Perhaps we should submit urine samples when we apply for a driver's license these days. Ridiculous.

On a side note, why is our fine police force/prosecution squad/lawyer bank bothering with this moon bar incident still? For Jayhawk's sake let it go already. It was a drunken brawl and that's it! Continuing to follow this is becoming a large waste of city dollars.

acg 9 years, 7 months ago

Oh come on, Brian Peppers, let's be honest here. New west Lawrence is where they should be installed. After all, the bored housewives and well-to-do lawyers have way better and way more drugs than the rest of the community.

I also loved your joke, e-m and darthsidious, I dig your name, man.

craigers 9 years, 7 months ago

With these monitoring systems at least we could easily pick out if somebody had corn the night before!!! Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

wichita_reader 9 years, 7 months ago

Many drugs will remain in your system for days, weeks, months, or years after their intoxicating effect has worn off. Thus, the idea of charging someone who tests positive for drugs with possession is sheer idiocy (if that's a word).

wichita_reader 9 years, 7 months ago

Not to even mention the infringement and invasion on one's person involved in taking a drug test. Are law enforcement officers going to administer the test?, or is every long-haired hippie that get's pulled over but has absolutely nothing illegal in their car going to get hauled down to the local clinic?

Someone please tell me this is a joke.

ms_canada 9 years, 7 months ago

No tests needed for me, I freely admit to loving and eating lots of hummus and falafel. Am I being put on the terrorist list? Oh goody, I'm on a list. BTW OMB, I hear on CNN that your Astrodome is going to be used to house all those now taking refuge in the Superdome, NO. 25,000 souls. Get ready for the influx.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 7 months ago

BLADDER

BAD DR EL DAB DR EL BALD RED BARD DEL BARD LED DRAB DEL DRAB LED BRAD DEL BRAD LED LAD BRED LARD BED RAD BLED DAR BLED

Ceallach 9 years, 7 months ago

Good Morning even_money!! I have not read a single post past your "first post of the day" yet, but it made me laugh when I was fuming about the network going down and of course -- mine was one of the stations that was rendered inoperative (except for the internet :) Thanks!!

Back to reading posts.

Carmenilla 9 years, 7 months ago

YDP crack me up!

And, a rousing HELL NO, to this absurd idea.

I think its bad enough that people get drug tested (read: marijuana tested) to get a job. All the REALLY bad drugs leave your system in a short time. Pot stays in there for up to and over a month. So if you smoked a j at your friend's bachelor party a couple weeks ago, you may be "a druggie" who doesn't deserve to work.

Seems pretty flawed to me....Although I wonder how the drug testing companies are doing in the profit department....hmmmmm.

Ceallach 9 years, 7 months ago

I smell trouble today -- all of the little boys have grouped together to discuss bodily functions and emissions :):)

(ahem) On the topic, I agree with part of merrill's earlier statement, "If one has been involved in an accident and testing is done which tests positive a person can now be charged with driving under the influence. So let's leave it at that." [I do not agree that the war on drugs has failed.]

There are too many possibilities of abuse. Some people are legally walking around on powerful, prescription medications, for a variety of health issues, and should not be subject to testing unless they are driving and have an accident or are stopped for driving violations.

Carmenilla 9 years, 7 months ago

Ceallach, why do you feel that the War on Drugs has not failed? We have spent ridiculous amounts of money on it and we still have kids trying the same old stuff. Most try pot and alcohol but never move onto harder stuff. Then we have the rampant meth problem which doesn't seem to concern government officials and the police as much as some folks with a little weed on their person. Are we more educated now? Do people still experiment? Have we really helped anything? I'm not saying there shouldn't be any attempts to thwart drug abuse (thats different than drug USE) but it seems we have gone about it a**backwards.

I'm not attacking you, just wondering.....

Carmenilla 9 years, 7 months ago

And almost ALL ancient cultures had some form of spiritual sacrament that involved altering the mind. Maybe there's something to it.

Or as Bill Hicks put it,

"You think God was trying to tell us something when he had magic mushrooms grow out of cowsh*t?"

Carmenilla 9 years, 7 months ago

I would quote him all the time if her weren't so ahem imflammatory....

And boy, oh boy, what would ol' Bill have to say about the state of things if he were here now?

I can almost here him ranting now....

beatrice 9 years, 7 months ago

Just a thought -- what if people convicted of a non-drug related crime, like robbery, are found with illegal chemicals in their body, which is possibly the root of the problem? Could this be used as the means to force drug rehabilitation? Instead of just looking at the crime, couldn't we look at a potential cause? Many who do serious, addictive drugs support their habit through crime. Prevent the cause, possibly prevent the crime. (Not all junkies can afford to send their housekeeper out to score for them, like our friend Rush L.) Thus testing people found guilty of crimes can possibly lead to rehabilitation, which would ease crime in the long run and help with the overcrowding of our prisons. Again, just a thought.

Now, if only we could test citizens around July 4 for trace elements of fireworks on their hands ... : )

And did somebody let Hot Carl back on?

Ceallach 9 years, 7 months ago

Carmenilla: I added the [ ] for clarification to distinguish the part of merrill's post with which I was in agreement. While much needs to be done regarding the war on drugs, I do not agree that meth has been given a bye from authorities. I also do not agree that *most people never move on from weed to other drugs. It seems to me that we human beans:) selectively cull the news and use the stats that fit our philosophy and strengthen our own convictions. That's why discussions of such usually end up as huge circular arguments. You know, the my stats can beat up your stats mentality :)

Ancient cultures did many harmful things that we no longer practice in civilized society. I also believe that at least 99.99% (Ceal's Stats Inc.) of those seeking mind altering drugs today are not doing so as part of a spiritual sacrament:)

I'm hoping the Bill Hicks quote was intended for comic relief and not as an actual resource.

Carmenilla 9 years, 7 months ago

Ceallach, Bill Hicks a was a comic so take his quote for what you will.

I am speaking from my personal beliefs. I hate the stats thing too. I try not to use them as they can always be negated. But the truth is that pot has been deemed a "gateway" drug and I'm just not buying it. My brother is much younger than me (he's 16). He tells me about LHS and how easy it is for people to get ANY kind of prescription pain killer or speed (Ritalin). I guarantee that those people are more likely to try cocaine and other hightly addictive drugs because they are already willing to try prescription narcotics. Potheads, by in large, don't want to move onto speed or coke. If you like to be high on pot and mellowed out than coke is probably the LAST thing you want to do. They do not correlate in common sense thinking. Potheads might try LSD or mushrooms because they like the psychedelic experience. Personally (and I know I'm in the minority on this one) I feel that those kind of psychedelic drug experiences are very enlightening. If you take drugs to party than you will have a party experience. If you take drugs to experiment with a new consciousness than you might "learn" something. I know, I know I sound like Timothy Leary or something...

But here's some more Bill Hicks for you....

"Why don't we ever hear a positive drug story on the news? Today a young man on LSD realized that matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves....Here's Tom with the weather!"

God, I love Bill.

kansaskev61 9 years, 7 months ago

The city commission should be drug tested before accepting the "proposed" pay raise that will be approved under our nose without a citywide vote!

nlf78 9 years, 7 months ago

My thought...no! Except in cases like e_m pointed out...intent to distribute. Funny line!! I can't believe Bill Hicks is on the board today!! It's a good day for a laugh!

sunflower_sue 9 years, 7 months ago

Is there an engineer out there that could tell me if sinking a loaded barge would be helpful in reapiring the levees in New Orlean's? Barges are a lot bigger than sandbags but I'm completely ignorant on this from an engineer's standpoint. Anybody?

just so I'm on topic...my answer is still no to today's ?

Carmenilla 9 years, 7 months ago

I've read American Scream and wasn't overly impressed. Have to find that one you mentioned. Its written by Kevin Booth so I bet its good.

My hubby and I have pretty much EVERYTHING Bill ever put out there. He was truly a "stand-up philosopher". He said some things that I didn't agree with but for the most part, I found him to be truly enlightening. Maybe its a good thing he isn't around to see all his worst nightmares coming true. But he would have some brilliantly concise and hilarious things to say. You know it!

OMB, Bill Hicks is a comedian of the Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Richard Pryor variety. He was foul-mouthed and shocking but his keen observations were unlike any other. Even when comparing him to the others I listed, he remains my favorite comic of all times.

Jayhawk226 9 years, 7 months ago

I remember back in the mid-90s the Chicago River experienced a major malfunction that resulted in the entire downtown Loop flooding and immediately being evacuated.

The solution...stuffing mattresses into the problem area. Odd, but worked.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 7 months ago

OMB, glad to hear I'm not the only one with the barge idea.

TOB, "mere" water weighs a ton per cubic meter. Of course, I have no idea if the barge would do more damage than good. And once you get to a rebuild point, you need something. IMHO, barges are less like straws than sandbags. Just a thought.

J226, we could load the barge down with wet mattresses!

Ceallach 9 years, 7 months ago

IP: You may already know this but while at home for lunch I heard a news report that the flood waters in Baton Rouge are starting to recede, very slowly, but receding none the less.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 7 months ago

A friend's brother has a barge company in New Orleans. They are trying to find one to bring back and plug into the levee, but as I understand it, they all went away in the hurricane. That was yesterday anyway.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 7 months ago

TOB, WHOA, backup, did you say "Dude?" Fer sure, TOB, I, like, totally got yer disclaimer. Just messin' wit ya! :)

acg 9 years, 7 months ago

The bodies floating aren't just newly dead. They have countless mausoleums that were destroyed so they also have bodies of the folks that have been dead awhile floating around. Makes for major contamination. TOB I believe you're right, sad to say. NO is gone and that's such a shame. It was an awesome city. So much history gone in a flash, it's mind boggling. I have many family members who lost everything they had in that. Houses that have been in the fam for several generations are just completely gone. Hard to fathom.

muahahahaha 9 years, 7 months ago

i think that tecnically the peole who test positive should just be like charged with something like i dano walking well
under the influence er something. if the people have the drug on them like they have powder stains under their nose or an empty needle sticking out of their arm then thats possesion........

excuse my spelling

Ceallach 9 years, 7 months ago

omb: so, do you have the pleasure of that beautiful view out of your window at work? You are the lucky one!

italianprincess 9 years, 7 months ago

Hi Ceallach,

My friend in LA finally got power again and instant messaged me last night. Hes okay and about an hour from the stricken area. He said its a mess and theres truely nothing left to parts of those states.

I'm in the process of planning a benefit concert to collect donations for the refugees of Katrina. Its going to be a long process in planning, but hope to have alot of it worked out in the next couple of weeks. I'm working with the parks and rec for a location in south park, and talked to the city manager today. I'm hoping to pull together alot of merchants for this benefit to help out the states that need it.

I will post in here if allowed, have it annouced other ways and hope that the turn out is great. I'm hoping that the people of Lawrence and surrounding areas ( I know gas prices are high right now ) can dig deep into their pockets and donate. A donation of any kind is good, even if its just a dollar. Dollars add up and this is for a good cause.

Ceallach 9 years, 7 months ago

IP: Thank for the update. The benefit sounds like something the people of Lawrence would really respond to and support. You can always give a brief answer to the day's topic and relate it to your benefit :) I know my family and I would all respond to such an event. I'm so glad I checked the board "one more time." I had knee surgery this summer and still do physical therapy, today was a therapy day and my knee is hating me tonight :):) But it will get over it by tomorrow and is improving all the time. Again, I'm so happy to learn that you heard from your friend. I was really moved by the concern in your post so when I heard Baton Rouge mentioned today, I thought of you -- shows you how the people on this board become part of our lives, mostly in a good way :) I will retire now and let my knee have it's way.

Until tomorrow -- have a good night all.

italianprincess 9 years, 7 months ago

You also have a good night and rest your knee.

I'll keep you and all others in here posted when more plans are made.

I was also glad to hear from my friend in Baton Rouge. He and his g/f are safe and sound and had little damage.

majic12 9 years, 7 months ago

As long as there is one person in Kansas that believes in Bill Hicks (and knows that Denis Leary built his career ripping Bill off), there is hope.