Previous   Next

Do you think the Royals will break the record for the longest losing streak?

Asked at Southwind 12, 3433 Iowa on August 20, 2005

Browse the archives

“If they continue to play the way they are, then yes.”

“I think they eventually will break it this season, but not on this losing streak.”

“Probably - unfortunately. I don’t really follow sports that much, but from what I’ve heard, they haven’t done well in years.”

“It seems as if they probably will, which is very sad and unfortunate.”

Related story

Comments

daddax98 9 years, 1 month ago

life begins at conception...........oh wait that was yesterday

royals suck

Linda Aikins 9 years, 1 month ago

I can't wait for KU football!!

Good morning everyone!!!!

A TREKS STREAK STRAKE TAKERS SKATER ARK SET ASK RET ASK TER SKAT RE TASK RE AS TREK

Fishman 9 years, 1 month ago

WHO CARES!!!! LOL Baseball will eventually kill itself. There will be the same 10 teams or so battling it out every year, while the teams like the Royals will finally lose their fed up fans. It's not The Royal's fault that the commissioner has at least what one would call conflict of issues agendas, but that's the way it is. Until they get rid of Bud, and put someone that cares about the game, they don't get anymore money from me.
What a shame to have a nice stadium, and only have replacement players filling the roster.

Jayhawk226 9 years, 1 month ago

Consider it done....

Royals may not win another game until Sept. 4th.

Oakland (Aug. 19-21) Boston (Aug. 23-25) New York Aug. 26-28) Minnesota (Aug. 29-31) Texas. (Sept. 1-4) Chicago White Sux (Sept. 6-8)

Best chance the Royals have is one, lone victory against the Rangers.

I'm a die-hard Cubs fan, and understand losing better than most other baseball fans ever will. But win or lose...I'll always watch my Cubs and will always gladly attend a game at the "K".

trueninetiesgirl 9 years, 1 month ago

thanks daddax98 that was great it made me laugh. i myself would rather watch nascar and dale jr then any boring baseball

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

I pretty much gave up on major league baseball when they went on strike back in the early 90's. I've been to one game since and only because the tickets were free and right behind home plate. I thought my kids might enjoy it.

Now, I'd rather support the T-Bones. The players really play like they want to win and tickets are cheap...parking is free!

I couldn't care less about the Royals one way or another. (Sorry to say) I used to have a major crush on George Brett...but that was a whole 'nuther ball game! :)

Staci Dark Simpson 9 years, 1 month ago

Well I guess if you can't get the record for winning you might as well break a record for losing. You know they are doing bad when Jay Leno starts making fun of them.

I enjoy the T Bones too. It is a great atmosphere. If you haven't ever went you should go.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

Lunacy, You are right, I completely misunderstood your view yesterday. But, even so, it was a good ? that very few chose to answer.

Back to baseball...ditto daddax98

Manson 9 years, 1 month ago

The problem here imo is that there is no absolutely NO commitment to winning from the Owners and GM. The Royals pocketed 20 million last year and seem to do well as a farming program for other teams.

The real loosers here is not the team but the fans. It's just too bad that KC can't do what has happened in Chicago. The cubs are the loveable loosers of baseball and sell out more games than most winning teams. Chicago has made it trendy to loose.

kidfresh 9 years, 1 month ago

Depressing? Yes. Dissapointing? No. Regardless of the situation, the idiocacy of David Glass, the inequity of MLB, and the constant flux of new players, I'll always be a true-blue Royals fan. And while it was nearly 20 years ago, Saberhagen's game 7 is still burned in my brain. Willie Wilson (despite his drug problems) achieved a god-like status for me when I was young. It may be nostalgia, but while some are died-in-the-wool Jayhawks (which part of me is), I come from a Royals family. And I'll always be a Royals fan. So please scream and yell and bad-mouth all the stupid things that are happening around the team, but support the boys in blue.

Jayhawk226 9 years ago

Mason--

You are right, historically, the Cubs found a way to make it "trendy" about losing. The worldwide broadcasting rights on WGN-TV and WGN-AM has created such a fan base that they can sell out that ballpark, despite the record of the Cubs year-in and year-out.

But attitudes and expectations have changed, since being 5 outs away from attending the World Series for the first time in over half-a-century.

Cubs fans expect a winning team and will boo and boo repeatedly until results are showing. I purchased partial-season tickets this year for the Royals, because I love baseball and if I can't see my Cubs regularly, then the Royals will become my AL team.

Game after game, pitchers will give up 8-9 runs in the first three innings and then be booted from the game. En route to the dugout, the stupid fans on the 1st base side all cheer and give a standing ovation, commending Lima and others for their pi#$ pour pitching performance.

The fans of KC are being cheated big time, I don't care how young the Royals staff is. If this is the only major league team to watch and they're this bad...I would only hope others would join me in booing the heck outta that team and letting them know their subpar and mediocre, at best, play is not accepted one bit.

Then again though, just as growing up attending Cubs games when they also lost 16-straight games...despite my booing...I still go to the ballpark.

Baseball is such a weird sport.

Tasslehoff 9 years ago

I really don't care, I haven't been to a Royal's game since I got shafted with 4 tickets. I had planned to take two friends to a game, they had never been to a major league game, then they go on strike. Did I see any money back for those tickets? Nope. What really got me was these guys get millions of dollars, I'm disabled, I would be happy with 1000th of what some of these stars get. Bah Humbug!

rhd99 9 years ago

Of course the Royals will because of the lack of committment by Baird & Glass. Look, Baird should have been drop kicked from the time the Royals started these miserable 100 loss seasons. Look, if a CEO of a corporation ran a business the way Baird runs the Royals, the Boards of Directors would have eaten these CEOs' hides a long time ago. The time for Baird to go is long overdue.

Jayhawk226 9 years ago

Good call rhd99!

As for the strike...time to move on.

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

OMB, You crack me up! Now that was funny!

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

Jayhawk226, I get you're "time to move on" suggestion, but, it would be easier to move on if:

1. They didn't suck
  2. They would incorporate their fans into the game
  3. It wasn't so boring to watch
  4. They would stop throwing "Little boy temper tantrums"
  5. They hadn't lost all the "magic" that we used to feel way back... when you could actually get close to the players & 6. The players did more community events

These are things that used to be and just ain't no more!

Just out of curiosity, were you of an age to remember how jilted you felt when they went on strike all those years ago? I can remember a time when the players came to our hometown mall to sign autographs and talk to the fans. They were approachable and really seemed to care about their fans. It's sad that the feeling is gone! I'd love to love the Royals again...just don't see it happening!

Jayhawk226 9 years ago

Sunflower--

I can't disagree with anything you said. I really can't.

I can distinctly recall the season the players went on strike--best thing that came outta that was the Chicago White Sox who had the best record in baseball at the time, were denied a chance to win a league pennant. My Cubbie blue blood was very pleased to deny them that.

I can also recall the season the umpires went on strike and the scabs were called out for games.

But since that strike, over a decade ago, the Cubs players, wives and broadcasters continue to bolster support in and around the community...sometimes more so than ever, to win back allegiance from its loyal fan base. The '98 season when Sosa and McGwire went on their steroid-fueled home run bonanza was so important, as it won many fans back to the game.

I don't know what to say...baseball tradition goes back generations upon generations of let-down fans in the city of Chicago. The strike was a major blow and huge disappointment to many...but we were hungry for baseball in no time at all.

Maybe Kansas City just isn't a baseball town. Or the fans are just smart and have decided to write them off because they're not worth anybody's time.

Jayhawk226 9 years ago

I will add this though, the best deal in baseball...

...$7 HyVee-level upper deck seats at the K!!!

Cheaper to sit and watch a game than it is to park.

Tasslehoff 9 years ago

I'm having a great time watching the Little League World Series now, those were the days, even though picked for an all star to move on to the next level twice in South Dakota...Both times the mercy rule kicked in..yikes, luckily I opted out on the second one to go to camp! But it was so fun! Seeing these kids have the times of their lives is great, a team from Moscow no less! Seeing the kids on the Major League circuit, not a chance. You want to see sportsmanship and class, watch the kids, not the pros. I look forward to the World Series each year, except it's in Pennsylvania. And at least when there is a scandal, I know I can blame the parents and coaches, the adults. Whether from Taiwan or the Bronx, the adults have to ruin good things.

Jayhawk226 9 years ago

Great point Tasslehoff...the adults do ruin all good things.

Adults, mainly parents, have even destroyed the innocence and once-pure little league, no-tackle football, soccer and ice hockey games.

I'll watch college sports any day. About as pure as it will ever be (minus the occasional scandalous coach)

Jayhawk226 9 years ago

2-1 Royals in the bottom of the 4th...

...can this lead last?!!?

Ceallach 9 years ago

Probably not. That is a double answer 226, it answers the question of the day and yours as well :)

omb: it is more than a little scary how much that sounded like goatdog :)

As a family we were avid Royals fans for years. Packing up the children, a bag of snacks (sometimes sandwiches depending on the budget) and heading to KC to stand in line for general admission tickets. We have wonderful memories of those games. I was fortunate enough to acquire a couple of tickets to the sixth game of the World Series for my husband and a friend (I liked the Royals but not for the price I paid for each ticket :) I also got him a ball signed by the Royals team that year (before they won it when prices were more reasonable). He was disabled within a year but always watched them on TV and valued the ball until the day he died. He was a true fan-a-tic of baseball.

Seems to me that one reason fans attitudes have changed over the last two decades is that the payers are such prima donnas. They have disconnected with the fans making it easier for baseball fans to walk away from teams they have supported in the past.

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

smitty, I aso share your love of fastpitch! As a girl, I played on the same team for 7 years. In college, I joined a co-ed team (they only had slow pitch) and I couldn't hit that ball worth a darn! Just grew too impatient for it to cross the plate. I could field though. My specialty was the run like heck and dive catch. Always impressed the guys standing to either side of me trying to infringe on my territory. (I was just a girl, you see.) They quickly learned that when I yelled "back off" that I meant it. Oh, the good 'ol glory days of yore! SIGH

We also had a great tradition of playing "gunny-ball" for MDA. Every labor day weekend, we would play in mass tournaments of slowpitch while donning gunny sacks to raise money for MDA. Lots of fun!!! (And yes, the fielders wore gunny sacks also.) Our T-shirts said "We hop so they may walk"

Jayhawk226 9 years ago

2-1 lead in the bottom of the 9th, with 1 out.

Holy good baseball god...they may just pull this one off!