Previous   Next

Do you file your taxes early or wait until the last minute?

Asked at Checkers, 2300 La. on April 11, 2005

Browse the archives

“I used to wait until the last minute. This is actually the first year I filed early.”

“I wait until the last minute in all honesty. I just kind of put it off to the side and leave it there.”

“Early. I don’t owe them anything, so I want my money. If I owed them something, I would probably wait until the last minute.”

“We just mailed ours earlier this week. We owed this year, but otherwise we would have probably sent them in a lot earlier.”

Comments

Fangorn 9 years ago

Smarmy: Was the book you mention written by Robert McCrum? I did a search and it appears to be available at the Lawrence library. I think I'll check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Another very readable book is "The Miracle of Language" by Richard Lederer. I disagree with some of the author's conclusions, but I came away from the book with a renewed appreciation for my native tongue. For a fascinating look at the origin of language (with controversial conclusions), read Merritt Ruhlen's "The Origin of Language: tracing the evolution of the mother tongue". For the basics of linguistic theory, try "Language: its structure and use" by Edward Finegan.

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 9 years ago

"The Story of English" is a very readable book that goes into the origins of the English language and on into its bastardizations in English speaking countries. It was printed in conjunction with a TV program on PBS, but stands alone. It is full of interesting tidbits about language, and of course history. I've read it three times now and keep learning every time I pick it up. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about how and why we speak and spell the way we do.

ms_canada 9 years ago

I promise this is the last post of the day. thought this verse was apropos for the day. Ah, make the most of what we may yet spend, Before we too into the Dust descend, Dust into Dust, and under Dust, to lie, Sans Wine, sans Song, sans Singer and sans- End!

ms_canada 9 years ago

Speaking of 'stinking taxes' a few years back I watched a Brit. series called, 'Against the Wind' about the English persecution of the Irish catholics, especially the tax system. One poor cath. family owed, of all things, the church of England, a stinking 40 pence, did not have it so their cow was taken, not by the church but the gov. agent. It was the only food they had besides the 'fraities' (potatoes). You could make a pretty good meal of pot. and cheese. The history of the struggle for irish independence and especially the potatoe famine is a pretty grim read. If we think our tax system is a heavy burden to bear, read about the hard-ship caused by the tax collection of Henry VIII. He needed much to finance HIS wars and his lavish life style not to mention his wives. Sure glad I didn't live back in those days. We should not complain too loudly.

BunE 9 years ago

Gaulic is french Gaelic is Irish

Fangorn 9 years ago

How to you say "We don't need no stinking taxes" in Gaelic? Taxes had to come from a centralized element of government. I can almost guarantee the Celts would have hated it. They only stopped fighting among themselves in order to (briefly) fight outside threats, such as the Romans. If they had found a way to forge inter-tribal peace, Western history would have unfolded quite differently.

Ceallach: Sounds like you were signing off for the day, so I hope you read this. For a good overview of Celtic history from the Bronze Age into the Roman period, I recommend Peter Bereford Ellis' book "The Celtic Empire: the first millennium of Celtic history". Another book with some excellent illustrations is "The Celts: Europe's people of iron", edited by Dale M. Brown. Both are available at the library downtown.

Additionally, a book highly recommended to me that I haven't yet made time to read is "Born Fighting: how the Scots-Irish shaped America". For a rather more esoteric aspect, discussing the Celtic contribution to modern warfare (they invented the frontal assault) and the Celtic roots of American Southern heritage, try "Attack and Die: Civil War military tactics and the Southern heritage".

Ceallach 9 years ago

Gotta go. It's been great talking with all y'all (Southern plural form of y'all) have a good one.

Carmenilla 9 years ago

hugs_and_kisses, you should read yesterday's posts in their entireity (sp?). No one was making fun of my looks (which seems impossible since we have no idea what one another looks like), rather they were taking me to task for bah humbugging their early morning rabble rousing. I mean who wakes up itching to fight on a Sunday? I may not be overly religious but I know thats a good day to rest and relax! Anyway, I sort of dislike the "suggest removal" tabs because it implies that we don't have to take responsibility for our own words. Like you said, we could zap them into oblivion. I just don't want to see that being abused.

ms_canada, I got chutzpah to spare! And I love that term anyway.....thanks for the compliment.

ms_canada 9 years ago

huggy bear - neopolss said I ought to sharpen my tongue and toughen my skin. My skin is pretty tough all ready and my tongue can cut a few slashes at times. But I was thinking that if I don't be careful someone will request that LJW zap me to smithereens.

ms_canada 9 years ago

Ceallach - I love to talk also. When in Blarney and asked to get down and kiss the Blarney Stone, I declined with the excuse that I talk too much already. My favourite sit/coms are Keeping Up Appearances, Are You Being Served, and best of all, The Last of the Summer Wine. Do you know that one? Priceless, it is. Brit mysteries I love, Peter Robinson, Minette Walters, M.C. Beaton, W.J. Burley, P.C. Doherty for very early (1100's) mysteries and for Irish mysteries John Brady and Bartholomew Gill. Carmenilla - you are one feisty lady, I do admire your chutzpah, to borrow a phrase from the Jewish. (it is a compliment.)

hugs_and_kisses 9 years ago

ms_canada, Ceallach, it's like I told Carmenilla yesterday evening, I really don't think you should pay any mean-spirited posters any mind if they don't like what you have to say--no matter how off topic it may be! They don't own this board, so don't let any of these scoundrels bully you around! If you find yourselves being harassed or insulted to the point where you feel like you just can't put up with it anymore, just click on the "suggest removal" next to that punk's name, and let the LJWorld zap both them and their posts into oblivion! I know that's what I intend to do if any one of these immature losers picks on me! I'm so glad that the LJWorld has provided that feature. And if these trolls know what's good for them, they'll behave....or they'll begone!!

Ceallach 9 years ago

Fangorn - thanks for your post. Any recommended reading on the subject?

Carmenilla - maybe we could discuss how the Celts would have reacted to our tax code :)

Carmenilla 9 years ago

I dunno ladies...Today's question is pretty divisive, don't ya think?

"I filed early and people who file late are stupid"

"Oh yah! Well, I file late and I don't appreciate you telling me how to live my life!"

That could actually happen on this board, I guarantee. Sorry, just having a chuckle at the thought of it...

Ceallach 9 years ago

ms_canada, I'm half Irish -- I love to talk! I also love Celtic music. I noticed at the end of yesterday's posts you mentioned British mysteries -- I also love P.D. James! She even gives writing lessons on her website.

I am not as familiar with the groups as you (I blame it on the fact that I was married to an Englishman for many years) probably had nothing to do with it, however, that's my story and I'm sticking to it, but I love the music. I also enjoy British sit-coms on PBS.

I doubt that people will mind. Today's posters are kinder and gentler, chances are they will just let us pass on this wee variance. Not much to stir passions.

ms_canada 9 years ago

Hey guys - I goofed badly. I got on the wrong line to Ceallach. Thought I was posting on Sundays line. Sorry. but anyway, fangorn, yes, I am very familiar with the celtic history, in fact it is believed that the area of their origen is what is now Hungary and that may account for my great love of all things celtic as my maternal grandparents are from Budapest, (incidently, along with Prague, the most beautiful city I have ever had the good fortune to visit.) There are a couple other areas that have a strong celtic background, the Brittany (west coast of France) area and the Galician area of Spain. (north west corner) I have in my collection some music from those people. It is great. Please forgive my off topic post, I get so excited when the celtic topic comes upon me and have difficulty controling myself. You can always jump down to the next post and ignore mine.

ms_canada 9 years ago

ceallach - this is a little thing that fangorn and I do sometimes to keep the shirts unknotted of the other posters. They don't like us to go of topic. I actually have a CD entitled Slainte Mhath. I bought it last year when I was in Prince Edward Is. on holiday with my sister. The artists are Can. maritimers from Nova Scotia and are called Slainte Mhath. My oldest girlfriend is Irish/Can as is her husband and a few years ago my good man and I travelled around the Emerald Isle with them. It was great. One thing I really enjoyed was the pub visits where there was plenty of Ceol, caint agus crak. Met some lovely people and ate a lot of good food. Where is your family from? If you don't mind saying. My friend, I couldn't believe it, said she hated Irish music. But I think she was thinking of the Irish Rovers. Do you know of them? They are pretty old. I am nuts about all types of Celtic music and have an extensive collection We have a terrific folk music festival here in Edmonton the second weekend of every Aug. for 21 years now which draws more that 15,000 people from far and wide. And there are usually several celtic groups performing so I am in my glory. Are you familiar with any of these groups? Dervish, from the Sligo area, Danu, Waterford area, Planxty, the Fureys and Davy Arthur, and of course Clannad. I won't even mention the Scots groups. I will check back on this line for an answer from you if you would care to talk, but if you don't thats alright, I will understand.

Fangorn 9 years ago

Ceallach (& ms_canada): were you aware that the original Celtic homeland was in central Europe? In the Bronze Age there were eastward and westward migrations. The Galatians to whom Paul wrote were a Celtic people in central Asia Minor who were sort of a buffer between (and mercenaries to) the Greeks on the west and Persians and others on the east. They were a very tribal people, later reflected in the clans of Scotland. One appellation for Switzerland, the Helvetic Republic, derives from the name of the Celtic tribe that occupied that territory. Those Celts who weren't absorbed by the local populations were driven west by the Romans, and to a lesser extent the Germanic tribes in the north, until all that remained were what we think of as the Irish, Scots, Welch, and Cornish. All these languages are related and, tragically (to my mind), slowing dying out. The "ea" vowel construction as used here is typical of Gaelic languages.

[I apologize to the utterly uninterested for the linguistics lesson, but I have mentioned that I read a lot of history. :) ]

ms_canada 9 years ago

ceallach - I am posting you a message on the tail of yesterday's line.

Ceallach 9 years ago

Slainte Mhath means literally "Good Health" to be uttered when someone buys you a drink!

Irish, gaelic (scottish), and welsh are all related languages.

Like many Irish-Americans I glean most of my Gaulic from "Google."

Ceallach 9 years ago

Ceallach (female) Ceallaigh (male) is Celtic/Gaulic for what became Kelly or Kelley (usually depending on whether the captain writing the ship's log of passenger names was English, English = Kelley, if that info is incorrect we can never let my father know :)

ms_canada 9 years ago

ceallach - your name sounds Irish to me. Would you share with us the meaning? I only know a few words of the irish. Slainte! (a toast) and "Ceol, caint agus crak" (music, good conversation and good fun" Am I right?

Adam 9 years ago

I'm going to file form 1040 NO!

Ceallach 9 years ago

Common ground -- nice.

I had good news and bad news. The good news: I received a refund from the extra deductions I requested at my full-time job. Bad news: those funds were to cover the profit I anticipated making from my home business, but it ended up lower than expected.

What's a girl to do?? Whine, sign, and file early :)

Carmenilla 9 years ago

Filed early and socked away that return. No vacations or new appliances for us. Heck, we may have to use our tax return to afford gas now!

I am glad to see that everyone acknowledges the potential for childish behavior on here. Whether its Reader Reaction or the man on the street question, there is a tendency to hide behind screen names and act as we never would in public. Maybe I'm wrong here (and I often am despite what some posters might think) and these offensive and mean-spirited folks would actually be that confrontational and rude in person. I actually think that the option of anonymity gives people a reason to taunt and bait people as they wish they could in real life. They feel untouchable behind a mask. Me, I just want some understanding and thoughtful debate. IT IS POSSIBLE!!! But only if that is your intent. If your intent is to belittle and insult people then there isn't a darn thing we can do to prevent you. But it only proves who can handle a little power and who can't. We aren't changing or saving lives on here but we could at least treat people with some decency, even if we totally disagree with them. puts soap box away

ku_kris 9 years ago

I filed way back in January, I had money coming to me! And as a college student, I need all of the money I can get....and quick! LOL!

bthom37 9 years ago

Filing early is for those lucky folks who are getting refunds. Filing on the 15th is for the people like me who owe money.

The_Original_Bob 9 years ago

File early. Get back my refund early. Go Skiing.

neopolss - I agree with the Ms. Canada. This whole "Just because everyone else is doing it, I might as well also" with the insults is on par with the mentality of an 8 year year old.

Ooops.

Fangorn 9 years ago

I filed federal early then used what I got back to pay what I owed the state. Usually, I owe at least a little so I mail on April 15. I want my money working for me as long as possible (or as soon as possible again, in the case of a refund).

Rudeness elsewhere, such as the Reader Reaction, shouldn't excuse anti-social behavior here. We can set a high standard and occasionally fall short, or we can set low standards and consistently meet them. Fervent debates on important issues sometimes cause us to get testy. We are, after all, only human. But let courtesy and respect for each other, regardless of our views, be the norm. Realistically, neopolss is right to say that the pressure will tend to be in a downward direction. But we can tell the rude and the nasty that they can do better, and then hope that they'll be respectful or be gone.

lunacydetector 9 years ago

wouldn't it be nice if there was a national sales tax and a person didn't have to pay someone to figure out their taxes? there is nothing like filling out a one page document where the instructions say it should only take 5 hours to complete.

larryville 9 years ago

I file early! I want my money back that I "loaned" to Uncle Sam ASAP!!

ms_canada, I don't think it matters if you posted first on the board today. Although, as it happens, extreme_makeover beat you by a few hours, so it wasn't even close! Extreme-makeover must be a night owl! Anyway, it's your message that's the important thing! Let's all get along folks!

neopolss 9 years ago

If you had ever been on the reader reaction forum, these squabbles would be nothing compared to the nastiness that insued there. I'd put the rate at about 95% of the users there at least used one insult or more per day.

ms_canada, you need to toughen your hide and sharpen your tongue, because once the message boards come back, just wait to see the fireworks unfold. I'm sure jonas and luny can vouch for me on this one.

As for taxes - abolish the tyrannical income tax system, and stop allowing the government to loot the pockets of the working American.

remember_username 9 years ago

When I filed short forms I filed early and I rarely recieved a refund. As my financial life became more complex I hired a tax expert to do the job. Now I get more money back - and I all goes to the tax expert...

Such is life.

conservative 9 years ago

I do my taxes as soon as I have all my documents. If I owe I mail on April 15th. If I am getting a refund I file early.

ms_canada 9 years ago

Nuts, I wanted to be the first on today. It is 6:15am here in the mountain time zone. I really want to ask everyone, please, could we have a day without insults, nastiness and name calling? Would that not be lovely? We can still agree to disagree, but no nastiness, please. And to answer the ??? yes, I usually file early but pay my taxes quarterly which is the law here north of the border for certain tax brackets. Have a nice day all.