Previous   Next

Would you be interested in reading a book about Bob Dole and his experiences as a soldier?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 10, 2005

Browse the archives

“I would say no. I’m not much into reading war stories.”

“If I had a whole lot of time on my hands, but it wouldn’t be one of my top picks.”

“Yes, I would. When he came here with Bill Clinton, he said that this is the only place he could get a standing ovation but not the vote, and it’s totally true. He seems like a great guy.”

“I probably wouldn’t go out of my way to. Those subjects don’t interest me that much. Like most people, I’m just glad that they made it out alive.”

Comments

kansas 10 years, 4 months ago

How true, jt! How true! I'm sure the LJ World just loves asking Bob Dole questions, considering Democrats outnumber Republicans in this town by a wide margin. And when they do ask a Bob Dole question, it's kind of like hanging a big, fat, suffed pinata doll from a tree....and all of the kiddies (Democrats) each get to take a swing/crack at it! Oh, the pleasure and joy of watching the kiddies swing away at that pinata (Bob Dole) doll!!

Bob Dole is a fine human being. I'd read a book about him.

lunacydetector 10 years, 4 months ago

How many baristas have been interviewed 'on the street', 50-60?

i hope interviewee #2 gets some free time from busting *ss growing CELERY!!! Bwahahahahahack!

and jt, of course the journal wants to slam anything republican, they need to cater to their customer base - the old "I'm having a flashback" hippy.

Charlie Bannister 10 years, 4 months ago

Would I be interested in reading it? I want the first copy. What this man went through recuperating from wounds after the war and then molding himself into a successful politician is a great American story, no matter what political flavor you are.

Richard Heckler 10 years, 4 months ago

So Bob can make a few more million...no interest at all. I passed on Bill Clinton as well. Politicians and their stories... how do if any of them are telling the absolute truth. So many didn't while in office.

Carmenilla 10 years, 4 months ago

I am not one for biographies usually. I prefer fiction.

And for the first few posters....I only hear YOU whining. Everyone else seems capable of respect in handling of this question. What the heck is your problem that you want to start a fight at 8:00 in the am? I am so sick of the bashing that goes on here. Bah!

remember_username 10 years, 4 months ago

Well, I'm a registered Democrat. Yet I have long been an admirer of Sen. Dole. I may not agree with his positions on several issues but his wit, wisdom, and civility far outshine those of most politicians today. His book "Great Political Wit" is an very enjoyable read and sits proudly in this "Douglas county Liberal's" libarary. So why not his new one.

Carmenilla 10 years, 4 months ago

Okay 2005, first I want to thank you for making my point even clearer. Second, I wanted to know what other name you post under. The screen name "2005" has only posted 4 times. It seems whoever you are, you don't have the cojones to insult me with your regular screen name. Only makes you look like a bigger jerk!

Fangorn 10 years, 4 months ago

2005, whoever you are, I fail to see the cause of your ire toward Carmenilla. She and I tend to see issues from different sides and I've never had a problem with the tone or attitude of her posts. There are a number of posters from whom we all may occasionally desire relief. Carmenilla isn't one of them.

As for any unhappiness with the tone of the question: how else would you ask it? It seems fairly straight forward and neutral to me.

I read a lot of history but not a lot of biography. Although, I think I would read one on a Kansas native.

merrill: would you check it out from the library just for entertainment's sake? You wouldn't have to pay for it.

larryville: I feel your pain about the '96 campaign. My party had no strong candidates to run that year, and Dole got the nomination by default, as it were, as the "elder statesman" of the GOP. Clinton was still very popular and ran a good campaign (a great campaign, unfortunately, wasn't needed).

jonas 10 years, 4 months ago

2005: I can't quite figure out which one describes you better. . .

this one. . . http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/warriorshtm/jerk.htm

or this one. . . http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/warriorshtm/enfantprovocateur.htm

care to help me out?

Fangorn 10 years, 4 months ago

2005, dude! Meditation. Less caffeine. Massage. Exercise. The Discovery Channel. Something! I'm just not seeing why you launched on her. If you'd "casually observed" a few of the discussions earlier this week, you might understand why someone would be a bit sensitive to any level of contentiousness that early in the dialog. If you disagree with her assertion, refute it. Opinion and points of view should be our building stones here. Hyperbole, sarcasm, and facetiousness are often elements in our posts, but try to avoid personal attacks.

simple_simon 10 years, 4 months ago

I just want to know one thing...

When Bob Dole dies, will he be buried clutching a ballpoint pen in his right hand?

kansas 10 years, 4 months ago

OMG! What a tasteless thing to say, Simple Simon! Bob Dole deserves better than that! Such lack of class! No wonder your name is "simple"!

ms_canada 10 years, 4 months ago

kansas - you said it. Simple simon did you take an over dose of nasty pills this morning? Carmenilla - ignore the stupid, insensitive goose, just consider where it comes from, girl. I have always admired Bob Dole, what little I know of him from way up here in the beautiful north country.

ms_canada 10 years, 4 months ago

Das_ubermime - love that Bruce Hornsby. wonder if he would read a book about Bob Dole. I would. I like biographies. But I also like fiction, especially crime fiction and the British ones I like best.

Carmenilla 10 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for making laugh, jonas! I also appreciate both sides of the fence backing me up. Some folks have tried to run people (including myself) off this board with taunts and downright nastiness. I think both sides of these debates have their trolls. I just want to see this forum continue on without being hijacked by mean little people who think difference of opinion makes you better or worse than someone else. I have totally different views from people like Fangorn and ms_canada but we manage to respect each others' differences amicably. It IS possible!

On another note, I just went to see a truly fabulous flamenco performance at Liberty Hall. All I can say is WOW!!!