Previous   Next

Should people be allowed to keep farm animals as pets within city limits?

Asked at Hastings, 1900 W. 23rd St. on April 2, 2005

Browse the archives

“I think they should be able to, as long as they are well taken care of.”

“I would say they should be able to, if they have the capacity to take care of them, and they don’t violate the noise ordinance.”

“I don’t see a problem with it, as long as it’s not bothering the people who live nearby.”

“Yes. That would be awesome. I’ve always wanted a pig, but I guess it would depend on the animal. As long as it doesn’t bother the neighbors, it should be OK.”

Comments

Richard Heckler 9 years, 9 months ago

Why not. Chickens for eggs, goats for milk and cheese,pigs for pets....absolutely. As others have said so long as they are cared for. City kids could become more involved with 4H.

mr_daniels 9 years, 9 months ago

Could it be Folks that the horse and buggy of decades past will be making a comeback? Saddle up! Move em out!

Takefive 9 years, 9 months ago

Chickens kept in a pen don't really nake more noise than dogs that bark a lot, or smell much worse if you take care of them. Beyond that it's just what you want your neighborhood to look like.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 9 months ago

Judging by the size of some of the people around town, we're already keeping farm animals in city limits. Here's a hint...it's called "exercise"...

Yeah, I know, "that was mean". So sue me.

Fangorn 9 years, 9 months ago

It seems to me, after reading the article, that having this rooster is a "greater good" for this woman who has suffered much. Yes, animal control got involved and our tax money pays those salaries. But they would have been on duty at any rate, and the cost surely wasn't higher than for the many other animals caught each week. Certainly this particular "farm" animal should be allowed to stay. As for others. . . well, as long as we're talking about well-cared-for, relatively quiet, indivdual animals and not herds or flocks, I don't have a problem with it.

jonas 9 years, 9 months ago

Who cares about farm animals? I want to know about ZOO animals! When can I get my boxer kangaroo and oliphaunt? I want a guard-roo with boxing gloves for when the solicitors or the mormans come by. Well, maybe not the mormans, most of them are pretty nice.

JHAWKGURL 9 years, 9 months ago

I keep my cow out in my back yard tied up all day.....I wonder if I can get in trouble for that? I got a ticket for keeping my dog tied up...shame on me. I use Bessie's poo for my garden. It makes for a great fertilizer. I got rid of the dog. His poo did not work well for my gardern, plus he got me a ticket. I also keep my chickens inside. I like them at room temperature. Just wait until you see what I am doing with the pigs. SHame on me again!

Fangorn 9 years, 9 months ago

"Just wait until you see what I am doing with the pigs"? Considering yesterday's topic, that sounds at least mildly disturbing. (Just kidding!)

How did you get a ticket for keeping the dog tied up? I thought people got tickets for letting their dogs run loose? Or is this one of those Orwellian catch-22s where everyone is a law-breaker eventually?

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 9 months ago

Fangorn - I've heard that you can get a ticket if you tie your dog up outside for more than an hour or two at a time...

kansas 9 years, 9 months ago

As a person who cares deeply about the safety and welfare of animals (particularly dogs), there are actually some very good reasons for why the City of Lawrence (and many other cities) have passed laws concerning leaving a dog tied up and unattended for more than a couple of hours at a time.

I suggest you do some research on this topic, Fangorn. I can assure you there is nothing Orwellian about it.

italianprincess 9 years, 9 months ago

I have 1 cat, but if people want to keep farm animals as pets then more power to them.

God Bless the Pope, he died today.

BrianR 9 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, it starts out with a chicken or a duck and before you know it, someone's running a horse house.

Adam 9 years, 9 months ago

I would love to be able to keep a "beatin' goat". After a hard day I think it would be great to go out back and wail away on a poor defenseless anmial on a 2 ft lead tied to a stake in the ground. I can already feel the tensions melt away.....

Fangorn 9 years, 9 months ago

kansas- I guess I can see how it could be harmful to leave an animal tied up for long periods. It just seemed like a "darned if you do, darned if you don't" situation at first glance. Is it OK to leave an animal outside, say in a a fenced yard, for longer periods? If they have food, water and some shelter, that seems like it should be acceptable. I have 7 cats (must be something about us Italians, huh i.p.?), so tying up my pets never seems like a good idea!

Regarding John Paul II, even as a non-Catholic I am extremely saddened by his passing. We will not see his like again in our lifetime.

Adam. . . you need a hobby! :)