Previous   Next

Would you recycle more if someone came to your house to pick up your recycling?

Browse the archives

“I would recycle if someone came for it, because I’m pretty lazy.”

“We recycle cans now, but I don’t have time for anything else.”

“As a matter of fact, someone does. We recycle cans, glass, plastic and newspaper, including the Lawrence Journal-World.”

“I would. We don’t recycle right now, because there is no recycling pick-up where we live.”

Comments

me 9 years, 7 months ago

fanghorn I totally agree with your reaming of little yellow bus driver. What a dork, and an obviously uneducated one at that. However, I must take exception to one of your arguments. I don't think the employees at Wal Mart have good reason to feel good about working there. Did you know that 10% of all goods imported into this country from China are done so soley for the purpose of selling them at Wal Mart? Now, if all of our manufacturing jobs hadn't left the country, then those people being grossly underpaid at Wal Mart could have a job at one of those places making quite a bit more per hour, plus benefits for their time. (see walmartdayofaction.com for more info re: the evil Mart) I know that had nothing to do with the question asked today. Sorry. And to answer that. Of course I would recycle if someone picked it up. I can't imagine any logical thinking person not doing it.

lunacydetector 9 years, 7 months ago

i like to feed the mother earth with my garbage so i can give back to future generations - you know, when it eventually turns into oil.

Savage 9 years, 7 months ago

I wish I could query the phrase "How sad and pathetic" in the database. So many different monikers over the weeks with the exact same ending. Hmm.

Must be lulu or carm again trying to avoid utter rebuke. I brought this up a few times before. I think its a little amusing i guess.

Fangorn 9 years, 7 months ago

LITTLE YELLOW BUS DRIVER! You are a hateful, mean person. Your reference to "tards" is offensive. I have worked with special needs children in the school system and in the community. They are people who have hopes and dreams and needs and a desire to contribute something of value to their world. Most will not be able to master the skills needed to earn a higher wage. Rather than castigating Wal-Mart for paying them low wages, perhaps you could praise the company for creating jobs within their capabilities?

The employees of Wal-Mart have good reason to feel good about working there. They work for a company that makes many products affordable to their community. I love downtown Lawrence, but it's rather expensive to shop there. And you reveal your condescending, elitist worldview by using the term "trailer-trash". There is a word for people like you: snob.

Now let's address grammar: "aren't nothing more than white trailer-trash", "the 'tardos' don't know no better". Is English a new language for you? That might excuse your grammar. But you're probably some ill-educated, whiny 20-something who has neither the work ethic to stay truly informed on issues nor the discipline required to form a valid argument. There is another word for people like you: moron. If you have nothing to contribute to this discussion of recycling beyond ridiculing the employees of the recycling center, then kindly remove yourself from it.

little_yellow_bus_driver 9 years, 7 months ago

Yes, mrcairo, the people at the Wal Mart recycling center do, in fact, get paid.----A pittance, that is! Next time you go there, take a good, long, close look at the people who work at the recycling center! No, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you. They all have water on the brain.--And that's just the way evil Wal Mart likes it--and wants it!! After all, the 'tardos" don't know no better about what a real job is, and what a real, honest-to-God living wage is either!! The tards are clueless!--But then again, most of the people who work inside Wal Mart aren't nothing more than white trailer-trash themselves!--And they don't seem to have much more going for themselves "upstairs" than the tard out outside in the recycling area does! As a matter of fact, I have pretty much come to the conclusion that the people hired to work for Wal Mart are indeed the parents of the "big headed-types/coke bottle wearers that work outside in that dank, smelly recycling place!!--And Wal Mart pays both the parent and kid about 6 bucks and hour part-time with no benefits, and then tries to make both of them feel good about working for Wal Mart!--And those who work there do feel good about working there!! How sad and pathetic!!

Fangorn 9 years, 7 months ago

I sincerely hope that recycling continues to grow in our city and across the country. An issue that we have to save is that our landfills will not last forever. I believe we should recycle everything that can be recycled. Just think of all the everyday items we could recycle but usually throw away: cereal boxes, milk jugs, plastic shopping bags, empty peanut butter jars, soda and beer bottles. Every cubic meter of trash you recycle is one less cubic meter that takes up the finite space in our landfills.

While visiting a friend in NYC, I tossed an empty juice bottle the trash can by his garage. He quickly retrieved it and told me he could be fined for putting recyclables in his trash. As a conservative, this bothered me. I mistrust government coersion of any kind. But later we drove near the Fresh Kills Landfill; it takes up a good portion of the center of Staten Island. I considered that millions of New Yorkers producing tens of millions of kilograms of trash everyday can't go on forever and has to be mitigated in some way. Mandatory recycling is NYC's answer to this problem.

Now Lawrence (indeed, the entire state of Kansas!) doesn't produce as much trash as NYC and we have considerably more open space for land fills than pretty much any eastern state. But one thing Great Plains residents also have quite a bit more of than New Yorkers is common sense. I hope more of us exercise that common sense and look down the road a bit. Perhaps more of us will recycle voluntarily before some government agency decides to force us to.

mrcairo 9 years, 7 months ago

If you're not recycling, you're just throwing it all away.

It's not that big of a deal. You buy 2 $3.00 containers, and put papers, cans, plastic in it. Once a week, sometimes every-other week, you ease down and dispose of it. Takes 30 minutes tops. If you're heading down that side of town anyway, movies, Wal-Mart, Target, whatever - just do the recycling then.

Thanks Wal-Mart (puke), for giving that to the community, and we should thank the workers there. I don't think they get paid do they?

Savage 9 years, 7 months ago

I think I would recycle paper that had good republican cover stories, fair minded and balanced news. The rest of the papers can hit the landfill ! I wonder how many LJworlds that would be. hmm.

heh heh

litter_bug 9 years, 7 months ago

Nah! I still wouldn't bother to recycle!! I like dumping my trash, especially large houshold appliances, down by the river!!---Why just the other day my 9 year old and I were taking a walk down by the river and he began to point at an area of trees and then said to me (in an excited voice) "Look, Dad! There's that old refrigerator of ours that you pushed off the back of our pickup truck---and I helped you do it too!! Remember when we did that, Dad?! Remember?! And I said, "Sure do, son! Aren't you proud of your pop, son? Your old man's a pretty good guy, lettin' you help him dump trash down by the river, ain't he, son?" My kid reply, "Dad, you're the best!" Then the two of us went for an ice cream at Dairy Queen. And when we got done eating our cones, we threw our used napkins on the ground, watched them blow away in the wind, and we went home! Boy! I'll tell ya! Nothin' like spending some quality time with the kid, ya know what I mean!--Good for a man's soul I tell you!

Wittmann 9 years, 7 months ago

"Will Soo" heheh don't piss this guy off... then again, he's pretty lazy.