Previous   Next

Would more people come here if the smoking area was enlarged?

Asked at Red Lyon Tavern, 944 Mass. on October 23, 2004

Browse the archives

“I think more people would come. Smokers and nonsmokers want to hang out in the same social areas.”

“If they make it a patio area with seating, then yes, it would bring in more business. It needs to be a nice area, though, not just an extension of the sidewalk.”

“Absolutely. I think that they should let them make it bigger. It’s more comfortable if you can smoke and drink at the same time.”

“Yes. A lot of people have changed what bar they go to because of the ban. Beer and cigarettes go hand in hand.”

Comments

gogetter 9 years, 5 months ago

Fascist regime? Corporate pigs? Diversity? Pachouli (which by the way smells like moldy manure)? John Kerry? What does any of this have to do with smoking? Do your children (or mothers) know that you are advocating smoking?....in public? Aren't you embarrassed? In case you haven't noticed, the days of sexy, aristocratic smoking expired with the development of the human brain and science. Oh wait, I'm sorry, I forgot that science isn't consistently allowed in Lawrence. In that case, smokers, go ahead and give yourself a stroke or lung cancer, just leave your children and the non-smokers out of your health issues. Have a nice day. Cough. Cough.

Larry 9 years, 5 months ago

I make special treats to Lawrence now, rather than Overland Park, Leawood, Shawnee, Lenexa simply because I can enjoy my meal in a smoke free environment. Lawrence is getting some out of town business due to the smoking ban. Go City of Lawrence! I just wish Lawrence would have a ban on liberals too!

Funnybone 9 years, 6 months ago

All I have to say is "aahhhh" I can breathe.

Savage 9 years, 6 months ago

Hurry up and get that building permit!

saidtoomuch 9 years, 6 months ago

So, Lulu, you want to throw the first stone. "People like yourself realize the fascist type dream state you live, just not with me." Do you even know what you are trying to say? A fascist govt. takes away individual rights from land and property owners, just as the smoking ban has done to hard working bar and restaurant owners. Are you somehow linking me with being a coporate pig, because I don't like pachouli? Pachouli is not a good cover up for not showering. What does John Kerry have to do with this argument? He'd never support a national smoking ban.

jonas 9 years, 6 months ago

Lulu: As opposed to your fascist regime, that would force people to adapt to a lifestyle that you deem to be correct? Just because you think it's right (if you do) doesn't mean it's the only way to be. Isn't that what "diversity" really means?

Lulu 9 years, 6 months ago

Pachouli is my favorite scent. All my womyn friends wear it.

But saidtoomuch, we see your sarcasm. People like yourself realize the fascist type dream state you live, just not with me. I cannot wait for John Kerry to bring some peace and sanity to this cruel world run by corporate pigs, saidtoomuch included.

saidtoomuch 9 years, 6 months ago

I think alcohol should be banned from downtown because beer and breweries stink. Plus people drive home drunk and could wreck. Also any non-electric car should also be banned (especially big suv's), they are polluting my air when I walk downtown. I don't think you should be able to wear strong fragrances in public, because perfume and patchouli make me sick. Animals should be outlawed from public also because I am allergic and they might take a crap downtown which will stink. Which is the reason why the homeless should be banned from downtown. If you can't shower you can't go out in public. Also screaming children in restaurants, I know I have one myself, but they bother people, gotta ban'em. What else can we ban? Let's just make downtown L-town exactly how I want it. Screw the property owners. If people don't like it, tough luck, why should they have a say in my downtown. I do hope the commisioners are listening, don't let the property owners do what they want to their own buildings.

Lulu 9 years, 6 months ago

Having a no smoking policy in Lawrence makes me feel joyous. Smoke filled rooms are a health hazard to the workers, patrons and our children. Our wonderful commision agreed so they passed the law because that is their job. They were elected and are here to protect the citizens and I totally commend them for having the guts to set a precedent all cities can follow.

Hooray!

As for the Red Lyon changing their facade to accomodate their smoking fools, I say "No Way!" That will hurt our beautiful downtown, and add an eyesore and nosesore for our visitors. If you're listening commisioners, Please don't let them change the front of their building! They should ban outdoor smoking completely. If the businesses have a hard time, tough luck. Get with the times. The bars have no one to blame but themselves. They attract a smoking crowd.

Let the families take back the streets so the air is fresh and the smells are good!

hoof_hearted 9 years, 6 months ago

edwin: right on bro!

punkin: I'm pukin'

mr_daniels: bite me

missmagoo: yer not blind....

mr_daniels 9 years, 6 months ago

Hey hoof_farted, take a break...you don't have to be a arsehole all of the time! I am going to have a good smoke just in your honor! You anti-smokin Nazi's can go take a flying leap into Clinton Dam!

Edwin 9 years, 6 months ago

Tobacco is a filty weed It from the devil doth proceed It stains your fingers and burns your clothes And makes a chimney of your nose.

Punkin 9 years, 6 months ago

The City passed the smoking ban without sufficient warning or any collaberation from local taverns, and the result is a policy that is harming local businesses and encouring the spread of suburban chain restaurants that can afford to build patios (the 75th st. Brewery, Across the Border, etc).

The City can and should develop a policy that allows downtown taverns to remodel to accomodate a smoking area. The argument that it would harm the historical integrity of downtown is a red herring. If the taverns go out of business and are replaced with chain stores like the Gap, etc. is the "integrity" of the architecture and the culture of downtown Lawrence really being protected?

The Commission should develop a set of guidelines, IN COLLABERATION WITH tavern owners, that will allow appropriate alteration of structures.

We need to support locally owned businesses, taverns included. The smoking ban has the potential to render many of these establishments bankrupt. Allowing local taverns the flexibility to secure their livelihood is only fair, given the amazingly bad and undemocratic process the Commission used to pass this ban in the first place.

Edwin 9 years, 6 months ago

Is having a smoking area in a restraunt or bar like having a peeing area in the swimming pool?

hoof_hearted 9 years, 6 months ago

Hey smokers, guess what: there's a reason the city banned smoking in buildings! It's because non-smokers don't like breathing your friggin' smoke! It's gross! Hey, this is the 21st century! Is there really anyone who thinks smoking isn't bad for you???!!! I mean , really bad! Wake up! Just suck it up an toss those camel butts! Forget remodeling bars! Just remodel your friggin' brains and get a clue: cigarettes are bad!!

smokers = bad non-smokers = good

(that ones for you carmenilla)

Richard Heckler 9 years, 6 months ago

If the architecture would nicely blend with existing features and enhance the current structure without destroying the character why not? A partial enclosure of glass that might block the winds,including large containers for smokers waste and comfortable outdoor style furniture would fit with the new glass windows...why not? Red Lyon has always had a unique look compared to other structures in the block. Is there any space to the back of the building?