Previous   Next

Do you prefer the term “Border Showdown” or “Border War” when it comes to the athletic rivalry between Kansas and Missouri?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 22, 2004

Browse the archives

“I like ‘Border Showdown’ because it sounds more Midwestern to me.”

Border Showdown.’ I don’t like the use of the term ‘war’ in the context of competitive sports.”

“I would say ‘showdown.’ Maybe it’s because ‘Border War’ could be interpreted negatively.”

“I think that ‘showdown’ sounds better. It’s kind of like an old Western.”

Comments

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

Are you really a "good" Christain, h_h? From some of the things you've posted I would assume you are far from it.

hawktooth 10 years, 2 months ago

Showdown? How about Pattycake Patdown?

BTW, I see that the city of Puyallup, WA has officially cancelled Halloween, for fear of offending real witches in the area. The operative word here is fear.

Do I see a pattern developing?

Andre_Linoge 10 years, 2 months ago

Ohhh? War huh Good God y'all What is it good for? Absolutely nothing Say it, Say it, Say it

"I don't like the word war cuz it scares me cuz I'm a squishy widdle wiberal"!

Come 'on people get a sack of stones already!

missmagoo 10 years, 2 months ago

its BORDER WAR for gosh sake's. i don't understand why KUAC is trying to change everything all of the sudden...ITS FINE THE WAY IT WAS....KU is way too concerned with image and being politically correct.

Lulu 10 years, 2 months ago

I cannot beleive in these times we would consider the War word. When the Shrub inacts his draft of our young men and womyn, war will be the last thing our college pupils will want to hear.

Please stop the violent words! It just doesn't work in this day and age. Too many connotations.

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

This post has been taken hostage by a bunch of foaming at the mouth Bushies. Did you know that 3 out of 4 Bush supporters STILL think we are in Iraq because of terrorist ties and WMD? Pretty informed, huh.

nicegirl 10 years, 2 months ago

First of all, get your facts straight. Bush did not try to bring back the draft. It was a proposal by a Democrat that has already been shot down. Second of all, I must be losing it because hoofy is making sense to me today.

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

You're not losing it, nicegirl. You obviously have some political commonalities with hoof_hearted but that doesn't mean you agree with him or his behavior on this forum. He'll learn (maybe) that the best way to talk to people is to actually talk to them, rather than bullying and harrassing them. What DOES matter, h_h, is that the terrorists that kidnapped Ms. Hassan are not there because Saddam was supporting them. They are there because its chaotic and lawless in many parts of Iraq and they know that with a country so destabilized they can further there own agenda. The reality is that all of the Middle East is in tumult and the Iraq quagmire is only making it worse. I thought Saddam was a waste of flesh too but there had to be a better plan for dealing with the insurgencies and continuing violence. Not everyone wants our brand of freedom. Bush says that freedom is on the march. Who is getting trampled in the process?

SAHM2tylrnathan 10 years, 2 months ago

Why not ask all the ROTC and active duty alums what they think about the Border War. Maybe we ought not assume who might be offended, MAYBE WE SHOULD ASK THEM!?? Geez, what a concept.

Sidenote, are my kids required to play "geopolitcal conflict" now instead of war? (And I don't want to hear from any non-parents about how I shouldn't LET them play war. They play what they play even if you don't teach it to them.)

jonas 10 years, 2 months ago

I'm for Border Tactical Engagement, if they're looking for options. Showdown implies one action, with finality, which is stupid as it happens every year.

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

I never thought you were a Bush supporter, Bob. And I consider myself an Independent this election year. I just get frustrated by people like h_h, who love to take all the fun out of posting on this forum. They verbally harrass people at the drop of a hat and make others fearful of posting (well, not me). People like you, jonas and nicegirl make me believe that, despite our differences, we can still find civility and common ground in this crazy country. I'm a uniter not a divider, baby....

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

Hoof_hearted brings out the worst in all of us, I'm afraid.

nicegirl 10 years, 2 months ago

But at least my eternal soul has been blessed.........

John Davies 10 years, 2 months ago

I am willing to hear it called anything at all as long as MU loses!

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for dodging the question I asked you earlier, h_h. Let me ask you again...Are you REALLY a good Christian (despite the fact that you sound like a tempermental 5 year old who's throwing a fit)? Most real Christians I know are at peace with themselves and don't enjoy taunting and humiliating others for their own personal glee. What gives with your decidedly unchristian-like attitude? Some might think you're full if it! I know I do.....

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

And how can I be on the fence, when I dislike both of the choices. Independent means exactly what it says. If my world was as black and white as yours (Bush=good, herman=bad) than I would probably be as uninformed and foolish as you seem to be. But I choose to think on my own. Proud to be an Independent thinker.

jonas 10 years, 2 months ago

Hoof Hearted: Well, when you put it like that, it all makes sense! I see a crowd of zombies, like in Dawn of the Dead, shuffling around. . . . monotone voices in unison. . . .

"Bush good, Herman bad. . . Bush good, Herman Bad. . . Bush good. . . . . . "

Yes, it's all clear to me now. Thank you.

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

I'm only trying to point out what a hypocrite you seem to be. You are the biggest purveyor of insults and bullying tactics on this forum. Where's your Christian compassion? And I agree that its a life long pursuit. But you don't seem to be pursuing it on here. As for me, I'm an agnostic. I am very spiritual but don't really subscribe to one particular faith. I'm one of those people who believe in good deeds over church attendance. I also believe that you can find personal happiness and wholeness without subscribing to a particular faith.

Lulu 10 years, 2 months ago

Wrong war, wrong place, wrong time. STOP WAR!!! Don't you see by using the word "WAR" only makes people accustomed to its use and more apt to support it? "Border Wars" NO MORE! This name is for our children, people!!!! Would "Border Executions" be more appealing to you war mongering, Shrub loving, bible beating, so-called god loving, ignoramuses?

John Kerry is peace loving. Change this testosterone named Border "War" game in accordance with our new peace loving president.

And for all you god fearing bible beaters, didn't jesus promote peace? If you like "Border War" then you must not love jesus.

nicegirl 10 years, 2 months ago

Lulu, you are one crazy person. I kinda like "Border Execution". Of course I am also a Shrub loving ignoramus. Now excuse me while I go read my Bible and find more wars to start.

nicegirl 10 years, 2 months ago

On a lighter note, my dad sent me this and I thought it was hilarious being a fan myself:

Custody Battle Ruling:

A seven year old boy was at the center of a courtroom drama this morning when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of the boy.

The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judgeawarded custody to his aunt.

The boy confirmed that his aunt beat him more than his parents andrefused to live there.

Whenthe judge suggested that he live with his grandparents the boy cried out that they beat him more than anyone. The judge dramatically allowed the boy to choose who should have custody of him.

Custody was granted to the Kansas City Chiefs this morning as the boy firmly believes that they are not capable of beating anyone.

Adam 10 years, 2 months ago

It should remain "Border War", as a reminder of our troubled past and as a tribute to the people of Kansas and Missouri who gave their lives long ago to ensure that all men (and women) are given equal freedom in our country.

Jay_Z 10 years, 2 months ago

Lulu~

You are one crazy, wacked out person. Geez, all of the children are going to be ruined b/c we call a rivalry b/w two universities a "Border War." Get a grip lady. Since I just typed the word war, I guess that makes me want to go fight in a war, huh?

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

How did I know you'd get out the dictionary, h_h. At least you had the sense to actually look something up rather than spout off some senseless crap. I really appreciate how difficult that probably was to restrain yourself from further stupidity. You can think all you want about my "noncommittance" and "doubt". Just don't strain yourself. I know my "salvation" must be really important to you. Does that mean you don't want to give me that attitude-adjustment spanking you were talking about earlier on in the week? That seemed very Christian of you.....Spanking women who are insubordinate is a big tenet of the Christian faith, right? You are such a hypocrite. Jesus won't come back with people like you waiting around.

Bugbear 10 years, 2 months ago

How about "Border Skirmish"? Would that be politically correct?

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

I like border skirmish....not because its PC. It just sounds good.

h_h - Spanking was your idea and I found it very tasteless. Much like your humor....You now resort to baiting and crude attempts to mock me. Whew! I can't quite take the heat ;-P

But, I really do appreciate the reaffirmation of your character (or lack there of).

Lulu 10 years, 2 months ago

They should just forget about playing the game all together. It is competition, and it is detrimental to teach about the all mighty power of winning. EVERYONE is a winner. There are no losers and no "Border War."

The world would be able to be a safe and kind place for everyone if womyn controlled it. John Kerry will be the next best thing. Look at the wives of the candidates. You have do nothing but look pretty Laura, and you have the new first lady out fighting for womyn's rights to work in this testerone filled cup of coffee we call the world.

nicegirl 10 years, 2 months ago

Right Lulu, no losers. I think the first step in promoting women's rights is to learn to spell it correctly. And secondly, I'm not sure the world would be any safer if women controlled everything. Being a woman myself, I know that women can get pretty mean and spiteful. There needs to be a balance of men and women in power.

nicegirl 10 years, 2 months ago

Well then Lulu, you should go back and study the book of Genesis in the bible then. If you did, you would see that God created woman as a "completer" for man, not a "competer'.

ChristySharrie 10 years, 2 months ago

Border War......Why should we have to be so damn PC, uh, I'm sorry darn difference of opinion deemed more appropriate?!?!?! What a pant load.

rewood 10 years, 2 months ago

Political correctness is going beserk. There was a real war on the border in the 1860's. Perhaps we should change the name of the Civil War to the Civil Showdown?

lunacydetector 10 years, 2 months ago

hey lulu, what is a "testerone filled cup of coffee"?

that sounds like a freudian slip.

perhaps you need more myn in your life.

mgalus19 10 years, 2 months ago

Border War. Border Showdown is ridiculous. But, I also think that changing the name of the trophy going to the winner of the KU/MU game from Indian War Drum to Victory Cup is preposterous, too.