Previous   Next

Which Kansas candidates are you excited to see face off in a debate?

Asked at Hastings on 23rd Street and Iowa on October 20, 2004

Browse the archives

“I would like to see Ryun and Boyda debate. There has been a lot of mudslinging in that one.”

“I think it is going to be interesting for Kobach to give Moore a challenge. Mr. Moore has been in office a long time. It would be nice to see if Kobach can do something different.”

“None of them. They all say the same thing.”

“I would say that I want to see what Moore has to say. I think he is the only candidate who is worth a darn.”

Comments

nicegirl 10 years, 7 months ago

and P.S. : If you have to say "trust me", it's a sure sign not to.

Larry 10 years, 7 months ago

Dennis Moore and Kris Kobach had a debate last week at Johnson County Community College. One of the PBS stations has shown it twice in the past week. Maybe they will show it again! I thought Kobach did a nice job and posed many questions about Moore's past voting records that Moore had problems explaining. Kobach has a doctorate in constitutional law and understands why we need the federal marriage amendment. Moore seemed lost regarding interpretation of the constitution.

hoof_hearted - I wrote to Dennis Moore as well. He sent me the same lame letter and never did answer my question. He is trying to crawl in a hole and hide from his voting record now that he understands that a majority of Kansans don't agree with him. I shook hands with both candidates within a ten minute time span. Kobach looked like he was absolutely enjoying himself. Moore seemed very uncomfortable.

Larry 10 years, 7 months ago

The classic moment of the whole debate was during concluding arguments. The moderator explained to the audience that we have two other candidates running in this election and it only seemed fair to allow each of them a 90-second appearance so that the voters might have a chance to get to know them as well. One of the two declined the invitation. However, Dick Wells from the Reform Party, accepted the offer and recorded a short video. During the video, Mr. Wells provided three explanations for running in this election. All three explanations opposed Dennis Moore and his beliefs/values. At the conclusion of his short speech, Mr. Wells informed the voters that after further research, he now understands that there is an individual in a major political party that he agrees with on most critical issues, therefore, he will now endorse Kris Kobach. (he pulls a Kobach sticker up and places it on his chest). End of speech. CLASSIC!!!!!!

Lulu 10 years, 7 months ago

Only the most guilibble of people would vote for Kobach. He is for the police state and having our national guard waiting at the border for terrorists. Dennis Miller is the person to vote for this election. He has proved to the people he can take care of us. What will Kobach offer us? Nothing.

pike 10 years, 7 months ago

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH... ARGHHHHHHHHHH I cant wait till this is all over.... Do you think we will ever be able to get along like we did on September 12th?

Larry 10 years, 7 months ago

Lulu did that on purpose since she/he isn't a real person with real beliefs - but rather a LJW stand-in or someone else trying to get things stirred up. Maybe we should give her the nickname of "LULU-STRAW" - since she is always trying to stir things up by making ridiculous statements that no sane person could believe. Come on LULU STRAW - get things stirred up and have your fun!

nicegirl 10 years, 7 months ago

I think Pike has a point. By now I am starting to feel election overload. Almost every single commercial on TV is a political ad and then of course the following commercial is for the opposing candidate. I know that some of it is necessary to reach undecided voters, but it's not like we should believe half of what they say anyway. I'm ready for November 3rd to get here so it will all be over with and the winners will be decided either way.

craigers 10 years, 7 months ago

No, not all Republicans think like hoof. However, I would like to be able to afford to give my wife the option of not working, but that doesn't mean she should be home baking cookies or dinner all the time.

Larry 10 years, 7 months ago

Carmenilla - you can say what you what but I can absolutely tell that you have NEVER set foot inside a Promise Keeper's conference, nor have you ever read a book about the Promise Keeper's. You have obviously formed an opinion based on the liberal media OR one or two men who think they are Promise Keeper's, but don't actually follow the ideas of Promise Keeper's. Just like some church attendees talk a good talk but don't walk the talk. Just like a certain Presidential candidate talks the talk but has never walked the walk, yet expects us all to believe that he will do a great job in office.

I agree with hoof-hearted on job responsibilities. My lovely wife works outside the home so we share the chore responsibilities. I vacuum and pick up the entire house, clean my bathroom, clean the guest bathroom and bedroom and she cleans the kitchen, her bathroom and does 75% of the cooking because dinner time is more conducive to her work schedule. In the end, throughout our entire marriage, she has maybe spent 5 TOTAL hours working outside. I painted our entire house this past year, mowed the lawn twice a week, rake the leaves each fall (we have tons of trees), re- roofed one side of the house, built a shed, trim the trees, etc. etc. I'll bet this break down of job sharing is much more common than some of you woman would like to admit. Of course, I only say this to prove a point, not to complain. Personally, I do NOT want my wife on the roof, working with power tools, working on the truck or cars, trimming tree, etc. Physically, they are tougher jobs than the inside jobs which is exactly why I will do them. If that makes me a male chauvinist, so be it. I'll still open the car door and shopping center door and church door for my wife. I'll still take her coat and pull her chair out when we go out for a night on the town. She deserves it! She is a great woman and deserves to be treated like the lady she is, not my best beer drinking buddy. The point is - there are many, many men who do plenty around the house.

Carmenilla 10 years, 7 months ago

Thank you for exposing us to your insane logic, hoof_hearted. First, we women should only be in the kitchen and now you want Heinz-Kerry and Laura Bush to debate? But that might be too hard for them...They're women, after all. You obviously don't think too highly of our capabilities. Man, you are such a moron. You've outed yourself in front of everyone with your last post. Who will stand with you on that one?

Carmenilla 10 years, 7 months ago

Yah, I'm really dazzled by your intellect, hoof_hearted. You do a disservice to Bush supporters everywhere by posting what you do. Or maybe this is how the average Bushie thinks. Anyone want to comment besides Mr. Smart Guy/hoof_hearted?

nicegirl 10 years, 7 months ago

Carmenilla: You're right. This guy is an idiot. However, don't lower yourself by assuming all "Bushies" think this way. Not all Bush supporters should be want to be associated with people who think like he does. I am a Bush supporter, I LOVE to bake and I also love politics. One passion isn't connected to the other.

nicegirl 10 years, 7 months ago

P.S. Did anyone else notice the reader poll? Why is that even a question? Isn't the answer obvious?

Carmenilla 10 years, 7 months ago

Thank you for the comment nicegirl. I don't really think all Bush supporters think that way. But I was curious to see if any of the other Repubs on here would cry foul concerning hoof_hearted's idiotic comments. I figured you would because, well, you're a woman......

Carmenilla 10 years, 7 months ago

Maybe the "cold, cruel world" of politics would be a better place WITH more women in it. Maybe there's all these wars and corruption because men have been in charge of politics for too long! But, you'd never even consider that would you? Are you a Promise Keeper, hoof_hearted?

nicegirl 10 years, 7 months ago

"Relative calm of their home"???? I can tell you that staying home with my son is far less calm than working in the outside world most days. You are most definitely a man who is speaking on a subject that you know absolutely nothing about.

Carmenilla 10 years, 7 months ago

Amen, nicegirl.....And hoof_hearted, I KNEW you were a Promise Keeper! That explains so much about you. I knew a Promise Keeper who beat the crap out of his wife becuse she wouldn't follow his rule (as God had established him the "leader" of their house). Promise Keepers are nothing but a group of zealot mysoginists who want to "take care" of women and "keep them from the harshness of the world". Harsh indeed!

Carmenilla 10 years, 7 months ago

They wanna take us back to the Stone Age with their "thinking".....

Larry 10 years, 7 months ago

Sorry guys! You've got the Promise Keepers all wrong. I have been to a couple of their conferences and it is a great organization. Becoming a Promise Keeper doesn't mean that you no longer sin, just as becoming a Christian doesn't mean that you no longer sin. I can guarantee you that my wife is glad that I have taken part in Promise Keepers. She receives the respect, love, dedication and loyalty that she deserves. This organization does NOT promote woman as the submissive partner in a marriage. Yes- it does say that the man should be the leader (in terms of getting his family to church, in terms of treating people with respect, not beating on their wife, etc. Assuming that Promise Keepers is a bad organization because you know a guy that beat is wife is like assuming that all people in Detroit kill and eat their victims because Jeffrey Dahmer did so. I can name far more individuals who have changed their lives for the better as the result of Promise Keepers. Sorry folks. I know this was off the subject, but I will defend this organization until I have a reason to believe otherwise. For those of you that disagree, I encourage you to attend a conference. Woman can volunteer to help run Promise Keeper conferences just as many wives have done in the past.

Carmenilla 10 years, 7 months ago

Maybe when you have to stay home and take care of children you'll stop treating it like its a walk in the park. Being a stay-at-home mom was the hardest job I've ever had......You have no idea what you're talking about.

Carmenilla 10 years, 7 months ago

You guys can keep the Promise Keepers and defend them with your dying breath. It is still a patriarchal group that encourages women to be second to their husband's leadership. From most 2 parent households that I've seen, women silently run the homes and raise the children anyway. I don't need a man to tell me that that's my job and duty under God. Women run things in the home with little or no fanfare because they have to!

Carmenilla 10 years, 7 months ago

I meant to say "leadership"...Sarcasm included.

nicegirl 10 years, 7 months ago

I did not say or mean that I focus on the hard days at home with my son. My point was that staying at home is not calm or easy most days. Would I trade it for going back to work? No, but that doesn't mean that I don't realize my job now is much harder and more hectic. As Carmenilla so correctly pointed out, most women have to raise the kids and take care of the household even if they are married or work outside the home. I know my own husband seems to think that we live in a fancy self cleaning house that also has dinner ready every single evening when he gets off. I'm grateful that he has given me the option to do all of this, but it doesn't change the fact that is is very hard and underappreciated work. I;m sure if you ask your wife she would agree. Or maybe your wife isn't allowed to have an opinion since she is just a woman....

Carmenilla 10 years, 7 months ago

Larry its lovely to hear that you are such a good husband. No sarcasm implied here at all. Mostly I was addressing the hypocrisy I find in hoof_hearted's posts. I find his definition of a Promise Keeper to be in direct conflict with the way he acts on this forum. As far as reading about PK, I have. After working with some women at a spousal abuse shelter that had suffered intense physical abuse from these so-called "good Christians" I had to know more. The PK don't, in any way, condone violence towards women. They actually have some good theories. But the reality is when you tell men that they have to provide and "take care" of women (who are supposed to be the "weaker" sex) you demean women everywhere. Sure we want you to open the door for us but we also want you to remember that we're capable of changing the oil on the car and the baby's diaper. We're able to do a lot more than the Promise Keepers would lead you to believe.