Previous   Next

Should Kansas University students be rewarded for going to lesser-attended sporting events?

Asked at Hillcrest Shopping Center on October 14, 2004

Browse the archives

“No. Why should they be rewarded? They should go for fun.”

“No. Keeping a program alive through bribery is not justified.”

“Actually, I don’t think that they should be rewarded for something they don’t want to do. If my grandson wasn’t already interested in the event, then I wouldn’t want him to go.”

“No. It doesn’t show that they are actually interested in the events, and it shows a false sense of school spirit for the event.”

Comments

jvr 9 years, 6 months ago

Actually Lew has come to some of the rowing meets, he came to the KU vs Kstate meet when the team won the Kansas Cup. He has actually been the most supportive of all of the past three AD's.

And in response to the Original Bob, who cares if they are there to get something as long as they are loud and encourage the team participating and helping us to outnumber the other teams fans.

Adam 9 years, 6 months ago

in response to Reader's comment they might as well just hand out the degrees they're pretty much worthless anyway

Savage 9 years, 6 months ago

Hmmm... Are there enough trees on the KU campus these days? What do you think?

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 6 months ago

It is still a Border War!!! Right on.

jvr - So you would want people there merely watching because they were giving something? Just so no one's confused here, uh, those wouldn't be considered fans. I believe freeloader is a more accurate term. Also, students are aware of these minor sports and simply DO NOT CARE. Very simple. The UDK does write about these other sports, granted not as much as football or basketball. The UDK could dedicate an entire issue to (insert minor sport) a week and still it wouldn't generate much increased interest.

consumer1 9 years, 6 months ago

Good point jvr. Awareness and understanding are invaluable to promoting the lesser understood/ smaller sports at the university. However, offering prizes is not the way to go. Education of the sport, (Via the UDK) would be a good place to start. Interviews with the atheletes sharing the excitement of the sport. Printed ad's across campus indicating the thrill aspects of the sport. And invitations by the atheletes themselves to people in thier classes. These lesser sports need the support of what is rightly thiers. #1 The university should be at events. Question? how many times has the A.D. been at a rowing meet? the assistant A.D.? The Coaches I understand are hobbled by an authoritative tyrant named Lew. I understand they have been advised, " Don't make waves"!!! In no gentle terms. However, the atheletes themselves can raise all the H.E. double hockey sticks if they got the balls (pun). #2 full entitlement to chapter (9) or (10) (whichever it is)equality in sports per federal mandate should allow some sort of economic method of advertising for the sport. But to dangle a carrot infront of students to make them pull the cart is typical trickle down theory of Upper bureacratic manipulation. As I stated in an earlier post, the chancellor doesn't really want to know what is going on. He is a war lord in an economic battle of big 12 universities. The little sports are pawns that are insignificant to the larger picture. Sorry. Ask the coaches of the smaller budgeted teams why they don't have "tennis courts" of their own. An indoor practice facility???? You will see some ticked off coaches who fear for their jobs. Hiel Lew. Oh, and by the way, It is STILL A BORDER WAR LEW!!!

jvr 9 years, 6 months ago

As a graduate of KU and a graduate of the Women's Rowing program I would have loved to have seen more fans out at our home regattas. Don't get me wrong there were always a very large crowd of friends and family and athletes from other teams but it would be nice if students were offered something in order to get them to go out and at least try something new and maybe get them hooked on coming out year after year to watch the races. So I dont' really think that offering something to the students would be such a bad thing. I also believe for the most part students just aren't aware of the other events going on because unless you play basketball or football there is no media coverage

hoof_hearted 9 years, 6 months ago

No, they shouldn't be rewarded to go to competitions that stink or are boring. It's like the WNBA no one goes to them cuz they're boring! Women's professional hoops suck because everyone knows at some level --- that if you want to watch the best professional hoops, you gotta watch the men! I watched a few minutes of a WNBA game on the tube an' it took about 15 minutes for a basket to be made. When the ball finally hit the rim, the "clank" woke up the 12 people in the audience all relatives of the WNBA players by the way!

So, you can't "reward" people to go sit thru an inferior competition.

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 6 months ago

This is insipid. I remember I had a chemistry prof who would give us extra credit for attending the KU classical music concerts. There would be 200 people in the 500 seat deal and 190 of them were students trying to get extra credit. Very lame.

consumer1 9 years, 6 months ago

many spelling errors. Sorry I didn't proof read.

consumer1 9 years, 6 months ago

Incredible! This whole concept is incredulous. I can see the false data sheets now. 14,000 attend late night bowling! KU Tennis on the rise! Fans swarm diving competition. Excuse my sarcasm please. But I find this idea entirely ludicrous. I graduated from KU in 1997. I was involved in student leadership at the time. When the new chancellor came aboard I was given the oportunity to meet one on one with him. He asked me for my overal opinion of my education. Suffice it to say, he never met with me again. Bullwinkle could never pull a rabbit out of his hat like heminway does. Let's get realistic here folks. This endeavor is nothing more than to teach students to devalue ethical integrity and then reward them for it. The data may say 14.00 attendance at a certain event. That is they may sell or give away that many tickets. But reality check will show no more than 55 or 60 butts in the seats at half time. So, Lew? What is the real agenda here??????

craigers 9 years, 6 months ago

Although I don't neccesarily agree with the amount of money that is put into the basketball and football programs, they give KU an advantage over other universities. People want to go to KU because they want to experience student life and part of that is KU's long basketball history and consistent program that they have. No offense, but if you pull money out of there, the programs will dwindle and not be as hot as they are now. Top recruits won't want to play or watch a program that is underfunded and unsuccessful. A prime example is the turnouts that K-State gets for their men's basketball games. It is pitiful. No thanks mrcairo, but the money should stay where it is at at KU.

As for the question, no they shouldn't be rewarded for going to lesser-attended sporting events. People don't go because they don't think it is very exciting. The rewards would wear off and then you would be back where you started.

nicegirl 9 years, 6 months ago

Except that without the basketball and football programs, the money wouldn't be there to move around.

mrcairo 9 years, 6 months ago

I think KU should scrap the Basketball and Football program and move the obscene amount of money into other areas. Scholarships. Reduced fees. Increases in pay for the workers there.

Reader 9 years, 6 months ago

Oh Sure, Why Not Just Hand Them Their "Diploma's And Their Degree's" On The Way Out The Doors Too, Even If Don't Stay For The "Whole Event"! So "No Child Gets Lefted Behind"! (And, Which Lesser-Attended Sporting Events Are They Talking About)?