Previous   Next

Are you worried about the shortage of flu shots?

Asked at Cici's Pizza on October 7, 2004

Browse the archives

“I’m worried about it for the people who need it and are not going to get it.”

“I think that the companies that make the flu shots are tired of giving them away for free.”

“Not really. I don’t ever get the flu, so I don’t need it.”

“Absolutely, because it spreads so rapidly.”

Comments

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 6 months ago

I have never ever heard of a doctor prescribing antibiotics for the flu, which, as nicegirl posted, is a virus. Anitbiotics are for bacterial infections. Viruses cannot be treated by antibiotics. The common cold is a virus. There is no cure for that.

Savage - From what I've read there are 10-20 known mutations/strains identified each year. But, only 3-4 are prevelant. I see what your saying though.

nicegirl 9 years, 6 months ago

"Experts" predict which types of the flu are going to have the greatest overall impact and the vaccine is created to help protect against those particular strains. That is why some people still contract a flu bug even though they were vaccinated. The vaccine can also be effective in reducing the severity of the illness. Like any treatment, it is not perfect and has it's flaws.

Savage 9 years, 6 months ago

not really,

I wonder how many actual strains of the flu virus are actually in existence. If there are over 100 mutations or more whats the point?

nicegirl 9 years, 6 months ago

Adam: A doctor should not even be prescribing an antibiotic for the flu. The flu is caused by a virus. Antibiotics are only effective in treating illness caused by a bacteria. Most doctors prescibe antibiotics basically as a placebo of sorts. People go to the doctor expecting them to give them an antibiotic and they will get better. Very few people would be happy paying $100 office visit fee to find out they cannot be treated with medication and ahould just go home and wait it out. Doctors need to change their approach as well as patients becoming educated on the facts of antibiotics. Viruses do in fact mutate and eventually become resistant which will be a huge medical crisis in the not so distant future.

Adam 9 years, 6 months ago

I'm more concerned about the overuse of antibiotics being used in treatment. I think that overperscribing antibiotics results in evolved strains of flu that are becoming worse and worse. We need to be careful or in time our antibiotics could lose effectiveness. I have heard this from several sources. anybody know anything about the vailidity of this statement?

Bugbear 9 years, 6 months ago

Dusty,

I get the feeling, going by your "logic", that you probably don't have automobile insurance because you never get into any car accidents.

I get the feeling you don't have a will because you haven't died yet.

I get the feeling you don't wear a codom because you haven't got AIDS yet.

I get the feeling you still smoke cigarettes because you haven't got cancer yet.

Do you see where I am going with this?

Dusty? Are you still with me?

--I hope somebody here knows where I'm going with my "feelings" about Dusty!!

Curtis Martell 9 years, 6 months ago

One time I got the flu, eventually I was so sick I had to throw up so I'm running to the bathroom but before I could get there I started to vomit so I put my hand over my mouth but it just went shooting out between my fingers, down my front and all over the place. Now that was gross. I think real puke all over your house is more gross than on a movie. Then cleaning it up almost makes you hurl again! Too bad I won't be able to get flu shot this year.

nicegirl 9 years, 6 months ago

Ok Hi_jinks, now I have to go rent that movie. My husband kept saying that he heard it was stupid so we have never seen it yet. Your scenario is enough for me. That sounds like my kind of twisted humor.......

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 6 months ago

Jonas, you are correct1 On a purely "grotesqueness scale", the scene you've just mentioned is in a class all by itself.

However, that Python scene was gross in a ridiculous, out-of-this-world sort of way! (Exploding stomach, with guts splattering the patrons and tables of the restaurant that the fat guy was sitting in!)

The Along Came Polly scene was gross in a much more believable, everyday-kind-of-thing sort of way! I mean, I'm sure a lot of men, in real life, do what Baldwin did in that bathroom scene, each and every day. Only they don't do it to the guy standing next to them at the urinals. They leave the mens' room (without washing their hands) and then they go shake hands with a buddy or client somewhere!!

jonas 9 years, 6 months ago

And no, I'm not worried about flu shots. If I get the flu I'll just stay home, but I don't usually get it. At any rate, I can't stand my job, so having an ironclad sick excuse is always something to strive for, not attempt to avoid.

jonas 9 years, 6 months ago

Not as gross as the scene in Monty Python's The Meaning of Life with the enourmously fat guy that continually projectile vomits! That's IMO, the most horrifically disgusting scene ever on film.

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 6 months ago

Okay! Okay! The subject today is "gross". Fine! I got one for you!

Did anyone here ever see that movie...Along Came Polly, with Jennifer Aniston and Ben Stiller?

There's a scene where Ben Stiller is in the bathroom standing next to Alec Baldwin, and the two of them are peeing in urinals, side by side. And while they are standing there relieving themselves, Badwin is giving Stiller a pep talk about business. When Alec Baldwin gets done "manhandling" his you-know-what (Barehanded, of course!), he gives it several "exaggerated shakes" (that all guys do), tucks it back into his trousers....and then he puts his hand, first on Ben Stiller's shoulder, and then he puts his hand on Ben Stiller's neck as he's talking away to Stiller! He (Baldwin) is completely oblivious and unaware of his act of "grossness"....but Stiller is painfully aware of it, and he is totally grossed out---but he doesn't say anything to Baldwin. He keeps his disgust silent! I thought that scene was hilarious! So gross, it was funny! I thought so, anyway!

nicegirl 9 years, 6 months ago

Not only that, but did you ever notice how many people pick their nose? Do you think they all wash their hands when they're finished?

consumer1 9 years, 6 months ago

It is a 50 -50 chance whether you should shake the hand of your lawyer, based upon the same unscientific observations that jane made. If you know what I mean.

Jane 9 years, 6 months ago

Hi Jinks, tee hee. am presently doing unscientific research into the tp on the shoe....will keep you 'posted'!

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 6 months ago

Jane....Regarding your unscientific survey......

How many of these women left the restroom with toilet paper stuck to the bottom of their shoe??

Yikes! How embarassing is that?!

(Just kidding, Jane! ;) ! )

Jane 9 years, 6 months ago

I am concerned about the shortage for the people who need a flu shot, like my 77 yo father who almost died from complications from a flu bug two years ago. I myself have never had a flu shot, and haven't had the flu in many years. Flu viruses change so quickly, it is difficult for med science to keep up. I advise people to keep their immune systems strong, try to avoid exposure, and wash your hands frequently. In an unscientific survey I did on campus last year, only half of women washed after using a public restroom. Eeeww!

nicegirl 9 years, 6 months ago

I just want my 1 year old son to get his flu shot. Other than that, I guess I can skip it if I have to although I prefer toget one to.

As for CiCi's Pizza, it's alright. It's kind of generic pizza but they do have a decent salad bar and they have a good variety of pizza choices. It's at least worth trying.

FlakeyT 9 years, 6 months ago

I'm a little worried, actually. Because if we don't vote for Bush/Cheney, who knows when or where the next flu bugs will hit? Are you willing to take THAT chance?

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 6 months ago

Redneckgal - 3 years ago I had the flu shot and was sick as hell for 2 days also. Never again.

I don't give a damn about my coworkers. I'm not going through that again. Also, haven't had the flu since then. I'm more worried about people who don't wash their hands than who has/hasn't had a flu shot.

Cici's is no Rudy's, but for 3.99 you can gorge yourself and not be totally dissapointed.

pike 9 years, 6 months ago

Im sure Hy-vee or Dillions will still have a Flu shot day for $30 a prick. If you want one go get one if you dont you have no right to whine. .......... The new CiCi's is by Hastings where that office supply store used to be. I would also like to know if its any good. A $3.99 lunch buffet is cheap.

consumer1 9 years, 6 months ago

I don't even know where Cici's is ???

consumer1 9 years, 6 months ago

redneck gal, right on. me too. It is nice to know there are people of character who post on this site. Have a good (flu free) day, enjoy the fall colors.

mrcairo 9 years, 6 months ago

Who cares. Anyone who takes a flu shot deserves to get sick anyway. I don't think they have ever produced a flu shot that actually worked on the strain that eventually hit anyway.

So the bigger question is, how is the pizza at CiCi's?

Redneckgal 9 years, 6 months ago

consumer1 I sure don't mean to be cavalier about the whole thing but I really did get sick from that thing. I don't know what happened. But if I thouht I had the flu and was that sick I would stay home for sure.

consumer1 9 years, 6 months ago

Also to Byron, Do you believe they give them away? Not a chance pal. If you get one for free, someone is paying for it. If you get it from your employer, they are paying the price because it reduces sickenss on the job. If you get it from your school? No matter where you get it from, someone is paying the price.

consumer1 9 years, 6 months ago

The real concern for me are the individuals who don't get one and then bring their sickness to the job. Redneck Gal. Sound familiar? On the other hand, I think it is best to not get one every year. I don't know if there is any scientific evidence to support my thoughts, but here you go. I believe the immune system, when not required to fight off certain bacteria over a period of years may become weak and stop producing the required offense mechanisms that naturally occur in the body. So, maybe it is a good idea to skip a year now and then and HOPE for the best. Nothing personal redneck gal, I just think it is irrisponsible to be so cavalier about something that has the potential to affect those around you. If you want to take the chance, then please be considerate enough when you do to stay at home.

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 6 months ago

Byron (pictured above).......your response sounds "conspiracy-like" in nature? Was it meant to be? It's too bad the LJ World wouldn't allow you to elaborate!

/Oh, well!

Redneckgal 9 years, 6 months ago

Heck no it doesn't worry me. I got talked into getting one of those things 2 years ago and I got sicker then a dog. I'd have been better off having the flu. I'll never get another one of them things.

mr_daniels 9 years, 6 months ago

With a very bitter cold winter being predicted the flu bug will infect millions of the public. Dusty had better re think his statement. The very young and the elderly are especially vulunerable to the flu. Pay attention to personal hygene, frequent hand washing, avoid crowds and stay home when not feeling well (do not spread the wealth). Hopefully, the flu vaccine shortage problem does not blow up on us all. Good Day!