Previous   Next

What are you thankful for?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 25, 2004

Browse the archives

“My family, friends, having a good life, a home and food to eat.”

“Good jokes. It’s really one of the only things that can brighten your day while being as trivial as it is. Comedy.”

“I am thankful for my professors, my family, peanut butter and graham crackers, good health, hot water and Lawrence, Kansas.”

“I’m thankful for being alive and fulfilling my dreams.”

Comments

ms_canada 9 years, 4 months ago

liberty - can I make a small correction in your above post. England did not make Christianity the state religion. A brief lesson in history. The predominant religion in all of Europe was the Church of Rome, catholic. Protestantism erupted in Germany with Martin Lutherand spread slowly. Some turned to that in England, but the monarchy was still catholic, until Henry VIII wanted to marry Anne Boelyn and the Pope would not let him divorce Kathryn of Aragon. So he ousted the Roman clergy in England, adopted protestantism, got his divorce and went on from there to wed Anne (who lost her head) and 4 others following her. There was a lot of infighting over religion for many years after that and eventually the Church of England became the sort of state religion. The pilgrims were very strict in their faith and came to be severely persecuted and sought out freedom in america. And you know the rest. Just a thumb nail sketch.

Savage 9 years, 4 months ago

Interesting remarks liberty.

Liberty 9 years, 4 months ago

The statement that Adam misunderstands in all caps means: Congress will make no law that favors one religious establishment (such as Lutherans over the mormons) such as England did in their country when they made Christianity the official State religion and took off everyone elses head that disagreed or had a different view of the same Bible. It also goes on to say that Congress will not make a law prohibiting the free exercise of any religion like Christianity or any other religion. That means the Federal government has no authority to restrain churches from preaching about politics and God, abortion, fraudulent money systems like the Federal Reserve etc. and how religion or peoples beliefs from religion should shape and control politics. How the Feds have gotten around this is to create the IRS 501c3 tax classification for favored tax status by making all Churches into corporations or businesses (under government control) instead of Churches under the control of Jesus Christ the head of the Church. The Churches are in bed having illicit relations with the government and should come out of this relationship immediately to get right again with God. This is how the government has prohibited the free exercise of religious people of all types. This is the real crime and violation against the people of this country.

Savage 9 years, 4 months ago

Have a niiice weekend. Enjoy the pie!

Savage 9 years, 4 months ago

the bill of rights is often misinterpreted.

No law means no law. Wouldnt you agree that posting 10 commandments on govt. property for example is not a law? since when is that making a law?, when in fact it isnt law, but rather a historical document that does nothing rather than only promote the common good of mankind.

and prohibiting the free exercise thereof,

therefor...

If moral citizens want to gather to create moral laws according to their views the govt cannot rightfully subdue this, due to the fact that some who excersize their faiths may want to legislate their positions to protect there beliefs and their values...

In which case issues like abortion, gay rights, and the banning of all religious documents from public property even if they are deemed historical, should rightfully be decided by the will of the people and of the majority according to the principles of law, and not one of several interpretations according to minority petition.

Adam 9 years, 4 months ago

The Bill of Rights: Amendment I

CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW RESPECTING AN ESTABLISHMENT OF RELIGION, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Liberty 9 years, 4 months ago

I am thankful for the freedoms given to us by God, enumerated in the Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence. I am thankful for all things that God has richly given to us to enjoy. I am thankful for other people who are patriots that care about God and Country and support the Constitution/Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence that don't call themselves left or right but Constitutionalist. They also understand that the separation of Church and State does not exist in the Constitution of the United States of America. It is however found in the Russian Constitution. The separation of Church and State referred to by Thomas Jefferson (I think) is meant to keep the State out of the Church's business, not the Church out of the State. For these things I am thankful and more. God Bless you that support the founding of the basic God given freedoms in this country and have a happy Thanksgiving holiday.

Adam 9 years, 4 months ago

I'm thankful that our forefathers were able to remove the Native Americans from their land so we white devils may prosper and enjoy feast 'o' plenty on this proud day in american history!

ms_canada 9 years, 4 months ago

I would like to wish all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving day. Yes, even lulu. I wonder if you really mean any of the things you write, especially this morning.The Declaration of Independence????? you would ban it because it contains the name God? Am I wrong in thinking that it is one of the most important documents in your country? Was your country not founded by people with a deep faith in God? What has gone wrong? I wonder what happens in that school at Christmas time. Probably the same stupid stuff that goes on here in Canada. In the concerts and programs that every school has been putting on just before the holiday begins, some, if not most, of the schools have taken Christ out of Christmas. Instead of Silent Night and Away in a Manger, they sing Rudolph, and Winter wonderland. We must not offend the immigrants who do not worship Christ. Nooooo!!! I don't know if it is the same in Kansas. I gets my ire up. This country was founded on Biblical principles as was yours and I don't want to see those eroded and forgotten. lulu, I would feel sorry for you if I thought you were real instead of just a stirrer of the pot of muck. Anyway, for all who have something to be thankful for, have a happy day. I expressed my thanks to GOD back in October.
And if you don't want all that snow, you can send some up here. We have none at all.

JHAWKGURL 9 years, 4 months ago

LULU......you try so hard to ruin it dont you? Well I am thankful that God will overlook your stupidity! Someday in Heaven we can talk about it!!!! I am thankful that GOD has blessed me with my family and friends and the ability to see my neices and nephews grow up. I am thankful that I live in the USA and I would like to say that I am also thankful for our troops and may God bless them also! PEACE to all ( you to LULU, whoever the heck you are!!!)

Lulu 9 years, 4 months ago

I'm thankful for the high school principal in California who banned a teacher from distributing the Declaration of Independence because it had the word God in it. I am thankful because god needs to stay at home or in a church and not in some public school. I am thankful the womyn was able to stand up to this man teacher who was trying to show dominance, but she wouldn't have it!

This could be the start of something beautiful. It is about time. Yeah!

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 4 months ago

I'll just take this moment to say to one and all........

HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!!!

mrcairo 9 years, 4 months ago

Every day above ground is a good day when you get my age.