Previous   Next

Is spending a weekend locked up in a hotel to receive a re-education on drunken driving an adequate substitute for jail time?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 21, 2004

Browse the archives

“I think it is a very good addition to the punishments we have now. It is more productive than just throwing people in jail. Punishment is an outdated solution to this problem.”

“The jails are overcrowded to start with, but there is probably a better place to put them than in a hotel room. I think that re-education is the answer, though.”

“I think that it’s good to try something new instead of putting them in jail. If it can help these people, then I think it is a good idea.”

“The purpose of any kind of punishment is learning. So if they are learning, then it seems adequate.”

Comments

ms_canada 9 years, 5 months ago

I am very upset. Such a question today. Imagine that one has no greater problem than having to spend some time in a hotel room because he foolishly drove his car while intoxicated? Is this world sick??????? I just watched the last half hour of a Bruce Willis movie about a family of a dead soldier going to the Washingtom Veteran's Memorial and I had tears running down my face. This must be the saddest place on earth, all those beautiful lives lost and the pain of their families. Then I sat here and read an article in the Wash. Post about the malnourished iraqi children paying the price of the war there. The rate of malnutrition in children has risen from 4% pre- war to 7.7% now. (UN and Norwegian agencies, reporting.) The question that came to my mind was, how long is this going to go on. I am no soldier, but it seems to me that this war is being fought with too few to get the job done before all the children starve to death there. The forces will just be chasing the insurgants around that country from city to town to city forever while little ones are slowly dying. I say replace Rumsfeld and get someone in there who knows what he is doing. Or get the h--- out of there. How about sending those cotton-pickin' drunk drivers over there to drive the tanks for a weekend. That would be an education for them, would it not. I guess you can tell how upset I am. You know, Dr. Andrew Weil did say not to watch or read the news. I should listen to him.

Adam 9 years, 5 months ago

Lots of places have "tent jail" which I've heard is not to pleasant, especially in hot or cold weather.

Savage 9 years, 5 months ago

If the laws were any harsher...yes, thousands would never drive again..and 10 years from now you would be afraid to walk out your doorstep. All bushes and shrubs and patios would need to be relandscaped and sealed there would be so many people sleeping on the streets.

Savage 9 years, 5 months ago

I met a man from greece and he said there a man is greatly shamed for driving drunk and humiliated socially. Enen if its a new car with a loan...its now property of the state and you still have to pay off the loan. No jailtime really...just no car.and loss of licence for one year automatic. Can you imagine if that happened here? The homeless population would go up in the thousands. Hey...at least theycould stay at the sal. Army and get a food card from social services!

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 5 months ago

According to the article, the convicted DUI people involved in this "Weekend at the Ramada" are not allowed to smoke!

Wow! A whole weekend without a cigarette?!

italianprincess 9 years, 5 months ago

I just read the story in the paper about this.

Call it a late night watching movies, and not reading the article first.

Good idea, lets just hope it works.

hawklove 9 years, 5 months ago

The individuals who participate in the program do have additional consequences such as their DL restricted or revoked in addition to participating in the program. Kansas statues are still being followed. They also are required to participate in a House Arrest Program after completion of the program. The rooms do not have Cable TV as the cables are removed from the rooms. They also have no access to phones and are not given any "luxuries".

italianprincess 9 years, 5 months ago

I agree with Merrill.

Let them walk, bike, bus it for a year( longer depending on the crime ), take their car tag and license away.

But I do disagreee about the hotel thing. Why give them a nice room with cable tv and all the luxuries.

I would say use classroom, the gym, the lunchroom. Have them bring sleeping bags, pillows, etc.

May sound a bit harsh, but drunk drivers cause death sometimes. I was hit by a drunk at 21 but at least lived to tell about it. He walked away not even hurt.

Punish them for the crime, not award them with a weekend in some hotel.

mrcairo 9 years, 5 months ago

A weekend getaway in a hotel for drunk driving? Is that what I have to do to score a vacation???

I say confiscate the auto and sell it to the highest bidder on the first offense. Then a public beheading on subsequent offenses.

So who's giving away weekend getaways for drunk driving, don't tell me, is it Judge Martin?

Richard Heckler 9 years, 5 months ago

It depends on their level of intoxication and actions during the course of the DUI. The man who threw a rock through the window of the Bottleneck,proceeded to drive wildly with police in chase,running a red light and then parked his car in a front display window at 14th & Mass ought to make restitution for all damage out of his pocket. Additionally the loss of driving privleges for 1 year,confiscation of auto tag and cancellation of insurance should be part of his weekend in hotel lock-up sentence. Perhaps one year of walking,biking or using public transporation will provide time to ponder.

If this were his second offense I would suggest all of the above in addition to spending every night in jail for six months allowing time for his job or school.