Previous   Next

Do you plan to do the bulk of your holiday shopping in Lawrence, or will you go out of town?

Asked at Royal Crest Lanes, 933 Iowa on November 13, 2004

Browse the archives

“Usually I do it in town. The main reason is to support the community and local businesses. If I can get it here, then I won’t go out of town.”

“Probably out of town. We usually go to Topeka and do the last-second thing.”

“I love Lawrence. I always try to shop here if I possibly can.”

“I’m going to do it all here. My parents own a business here, and I want to support the local businesses.”

Comments

ms_canada 9 years, 5 months ago

fangorn - i totally agree with you. i think you and i are on the same wave length. i guess it all depends on who they elect as the next leader of the palestinians. if the lgodfather of all terrorists had only accepted the proposal that barak made it would be a different story now. but so be it. we will just have to wait and see if bush has any influence in the region. i take it that you are a believer in the savior of all sinners as am i. He is my lord and master and i love Him dearly and pray for peace in this world.
the hateful words of arafat ring in my ears and the only thing i can do is pray. our fate is in His hands. my best to you and your wife and family. ciao

Fangorn 9 years, 5 months ago

Although I despise the commercialism that has overwhelmed the traditional aspects of Christ-mas, I enjoy celebrating the birth of the Savior who came to pay for the sins of all people from every race and time. I try to do most of my shopping here in Lawrence (including Wal-Mart), and I really enjoy many of the quaint little shops downtown.

ms_canada, I've wondered how you came to be posting on a Lawrence newspaper's website. Alberta and Kansas are not near each other. Thanks for mentioning it in a recent post.

As for the Arab-Israeli conflict, I don't believe anyone will be able to bring peace to the region. I do have a sliver of hope now that the Godfather of Terrorism has been buried in Ramallah, but it's not much. President Clinton desperately wanted to establish a legacy for himself by brokering some kind of settlement. He really put a lot of his energy and leadership capital into it. But the Oslo Accords were a failure, and the gains of the Wye Accord were transitory. And when Barak offered Arafat 95% of what he wanted, Arafat responded by unleashing another Intifada. Read the textbooks used to teach children in Gaza and in Trans-Jordan. Listen to what the Palestinian press says in Arabic, not the glosses they produce in English for Western consumption. They are not interested in peaceful co-existence with Israel. And until they are (and elect leaders who also are), there will not be peace in the Middle East. The Arabs in Israel have an opportunity in their up-coming election to show the world how serious they are about wanting peace. I'll be very interested in what they have to say.

ms_canada 9 years, 5 months ago

spending your $$ near home is always a great thing. i usually do that, but then again i live in a large city. now this is off the subject, but just wanted to tell all you repubs down there that i just read something very encouraging to me in the wash. post. pres. bush in a joint press conference with prime min. tony blair said he hopes to help see a resolution to the palestinian/israeli conflict by the time he leaves office in 2009. from all the studying i have done this seems to be the root cause of the radical islamism in the world. it began way back in 1917 and increased in 1948 with the Balfour declaration. look it up sometime online. the league of nations (for-runner of the united nations) divided palestine and when the british (who were given a mandate as protectorate of palestine) pulled out in 1948 the palestinians immediately opened fire on the israelis. and the conflict continued until this day because, surprise, surprise, the israelis won that skirmish and then took back 77% of the land given to the palestinians. the history of palestine is a long and complicated one. read it sometime to get an understanding of the reason for the hatred of the radical islamists for the western world. this is just a very brief outline of the history.
but i really commend pres. bush and certainly hope and pray that his plans come to fruition. i believe that would end much of the terrorism worldwide. any thoughts?

nicegirl 9 years, 5 months ago

I do almost all of my shopping online. I have a 15 month old so it's not always real enjoyable to take him out to crowded stores and hope he is patient enough to let me finish. Plus, I really hate the holiday crowds. I love to shop downtown but during the holiday season people tend to get really nasty and pushy. I will probably have to do some in stores though.

remember_username 9 years, 5 months ago

I also shop for gifts on the internet. It is very convenient and I don't have to hassle with crowds, parking, and finding the thing I'm looking for. I can get all my shopping done in a few hours.

That being said, I shop locally for art items that have a local flavor, and for second hand items when I can't afford new. Plus (and this should please Lulu), I refuse to shop at Walmart - that place seems to suck the I.Q. right out of a person.

mrcairo 9 years, 5 months ago

The Internet baby. I get things you can't find in Kansas and it's always a groove. Bada-Bing it gets wrapped, shipped, and I don't have to fight crowds. I hate the Xmas holiday season anyway - too damn commercial for my tastes.

Larry 9 years, 5 months ago

I imagine that my wife and I will come to Lawrence this year. In the past, we have shopped in Overland Park, Leawood, etc, however - since we like to have dinner after or before shopping, Lawrence is the place to go now that we can actually enjoy our food and not be in a big rush to gulp it down so we can get outside to breath clean air.

badger 9 years, 5 months ago

I do as much of my shopping as I can in Lawrence. As one of the people above said, if I can get it in my town, there's no reason to go out of town.

However, the other reason I tend to gift-shop in Lawrence is that we have an incredible wealth of places to buy interesting and unique gifts. Sure, I could get mom yet another sweater from a mall somewhere or other, or I could pick her up some handmade soap from Soap Momma, a hand-dyed scarf from Prairie Pond, or a nifty teapot from The Bay Leaf. Just walking down Mass on a sunny December afternoon lets me do most of my holiday shopping, and my family is always impressed that I get them things they wouldn't even know to buy for themselves. Call me crazy, but I'd rather deal with folks here, who tend to be cordial and smiling, than some harried clerk in an overstuffed box store full of cookie-cutter merchandise.

I left behind 'city' life for a reason when I moved here five years ago, and as I make my four-minute commute each day, I giggle at the KC traffic reports and count my blessings that I live in this odd, charming, quirky town.

Lulu 9 years, 5 months ago

I do my shopping in Lawrence because I beleive in keeping my dollars here. Shopping downtown at the second hand stores is the best way to keep this world clean. Recycle! It helps mother Earth and it is for our children's children.

Though I do not beleive in celebrating the X-Mas Holiday, I do celebrate Kwanzaa as the substitute for my children. It is very enlightening and fulfilling for all races.