Previous   Next

Would you ever visit your local library if the same resources were available online?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on December 15, 2004

Browse the archives

“We don’t have Internet access at home, so I usually go there anyway. We would still use the library either way.”

“I think that if the library is in cyberspace, everyone will do everything from home.”

“I would still go to the library. I live really close, so it’s just easier that way.”

“Yes, I would. It’s a place where we can go as a family to read books, magazines and get on the Internet.”

Comments

Hong_Kong_Phooey 10 years ago

Alright, this topic is just dumb. Do they actually expect to stimulate a lot of debate with questions like this?? I propose, instead, that we talk about something that effects us all: Driving.

Man, the driver's in Kansas just seem to be getting worse by the minute. Take a trip on K-10 from KC to Lawrence and you'll see what I mean. Here's a hint: the left-hand lane is the PASSING LANE. This means that you use it to pass other people! It does not mean that you take your slow ass and just sit there, slowing up traffic, saying, "if they want to pass me, they can go around me". That's incredibly rude AND selfish. In addition, it's illegal. Perhaps it's because of idiots like that, that we have more incidents of "road rage"...

How about turn signals? Do you all think that everybody else is supposed to just...read your mind or something?! Use 'em. They help. Honest.

Here's another small tip. If the car in front of you cannot see your headlights in their rearview mirror then you're probably just a tad too close. Try not hitching on to their bumper. You'll have much better results.

Oh, and when you enter Lawrence and the speed limit signs say "45", it is OKAY to go 45. It's not a nasty trick. You don't have to go 30-35 everywhere.

That is all. For now.

Jayhawk226 10 years ago

Hong Kong...you touched a nerve with me on this topic (which is better than a foolish topic to me as well)

I have now lived in Kansas since '98 after moving from Chicago. It was at that time I was exposed to a regional population of absolute idiots driving behind the wheel.

You left three out that I'd like to also add...

1. Merging...folks, if a car is about to merge onto a highway, expressway, tollway or freeway...get the *#%$ over to the left and make some room.

2. Related to merging...folks, if you are merging onto a highway, expressway, tollway or freeway...you, under no circumstances, CAN STOP ON THE ON-RAMP! Are you frickin' stupid and wanting to cause an accident?!!? MOVE!

3. Headlights...why is it the law in most other states that if you must use your windshield wipers, your headlights must be on? Because chances are, if the elements require a driver to operate their motor vehicle with use of the windshield wipers, there is a very good chance the visibility is not perfect and may be difficult to see your car. And...after the sun has been down for an hour already, those little orange running lights of yours (if that) aren't doing you the same job as actual headlights. PUT THEM ON!

So...what we have now, are drivers at the twilight of night and early morning driving well under the speed limit, not using turnsignals, never merging for on-coming traffic and even stopping on on-ramps..all with their lights off!

Ugh...somebody please help these heartland, easy-going, decade-behind, loveable citizens, who come from a state of elected officials that believe in not teaching evolution, not adequately funding their public schools, and not buying liquor on Sunday (in certain municipalities now)

Have I missed anything? I guess I woke up grumpy this morning...I don't mean anything personal, just haven't had my cup of coffee yet.

Oh, and before you get all pissy about this stupid blog...I should add one more as well....people in this part of the country take things too personal and serious. Just laugh at your stupidity and obnoxiousness, just like the rest of us. We're all unique for many, many reasons...

...it's just some people choose to live unique in a forward-thinking, ever-evolving, fast-paced interconnected, global metropolis.

jonas 10 years ago

Wow, quite an act to follow this morning.

Just to answer the question: yes, I probably would. I can't get the same comprehension, or at least ease of reading, on a computer screen than I can holding a physical book. Too much glowing white light, or something.

I'd like to add my own personal irritant in those people who feel that the best way to clear the road, on the freeway, is to get right up behind someone's bumper and then ossilate speeds up and down until the people get a chance to move over. And why is it the same people who then, when cleared, get in front of those people and slow drastically down out of spite?

My solution: James Bond style behind-the-headlights torpedoes (sp?). Don't worry, pre-screening will get rid of all of the nutcases before they actually get access to the service.

Oh, and Jayhawk226:

Change!? hiss hiss pfftt reaowrrrrr!!!! pfftt hiss!

mrcairo 10 years ago

The Internet will never replace libraries.

Professional Librarians are highly skilled and usually possess a Masters degree in Library Science (MLS). I challenge anyone to even try to get into one of these programs by passing the GRE (EXAM) and scoring high enough to be accepted. Then I challenge anyone to stay the course and make the required grades to stay in.

Professional Librarians are a valuable resource that should be nutured and retained within the communities they work in. Libraries serve many roles. Just go down to Topeka ( i know i know ) and compare the new library to the old worn-out library in Lawrence. In fact, go to any major city and you'll notice Libraries are becoming destination locations. Go downstairs at the local library and you'll find old computers running Windows 98 (LOL). For crying out loud Windows 98 !!!

I understand from friends that the city of Lawrence pays the Library Staff pitiful wages for the services they provide. Not only do the Librarians provide valuable information, but they do it to a generally rude public, and they handle homeless people, and they act as baby-sitters to people who dump their kids at the library.

Who controls the Library anyway, is it the City?

Jayhawk226 10 years ago

i like the driving style with torpedoes...you may be on to something big here jonas!!!

as for pre-screening...3 day waiting period, 1 week waiting period? what's best do ya think?

Richard Heckler 10 years ago

Librairies are wonderful places with many functions so let's not think of replacing them. Library staff needs the work and thinking of ways to put people out of work might just be stupid.

italianprincess 10 years ago

I teach here at home so I go to the library every weekend to get new books for the next topic we will be learning about. The children here love the books I get there to read to them daily and the library also has so many to choose from.

I do have books here I also own, but nothing compares to the library. Its great to have a variety of different types of books for each topic we are talking about each week.

They also have movies you can borrow that you would have to rent elsewhere and if you are late it only costs a dime each day instead of the same price you rented it for.

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 10 years ago

Yes, I'd still go to the local library, but here's my bigger concern: I hate it when people pronounce it "lie-berry." I once dated a lady who was the master of messing-up words. In addition to "lie-berry," she'd say "nukular", "groshery" (instead of grocery) and "de-thaw" (instead of defrost). Here's the kicker...she's working as a school teacher now!

remember_username 10 years ago

I would probably use the on-line method rather than visit the local library if ALL the resources found in the library were available on-line. They are not now and will not be for some time to come, so it's off to the library for some peace, quiet reading, and that funny smell around lots of books. Or is that funny smell coming from Hoofy at the library computers.

ms_canada 10 years ago

I love my library and my librarians and would be lost without them as I am addicted to reading. I get panicky when I finish one book and don't have another within reach. The libraries here charge $12 per year. I take out 4 books every 3 weeks. How could I ever buy that many books. I do buy some and usually ask for them for gifts from my family. There is a lot of good reading online as jonas said, but not as comfortable and hard on the eyes. Beside all the wonderful books, the programs for children are so good. No, I don't think computers will ever replace libraries. As for driving and drivers, stressful at the best of times. Punishment for infractions ought to be stiffer, don't you think. Have a nice day.

wichita_reader 10 years ago

I think the punishment for the traffic infractions is plenty stiff ($60 fine for driving on left side of roadway except to pass or clear an obstruction), but the fine does no good if it's not enforced.

jonas 10 years ago

jayhawk: I'm thinking 1 week waiting, then stiff enforcement of the "they really didn't deserve that" law governing the usage of said torpedoes.

kansas 10 years ago

When I first moved to Lawrence a few years back, I went by the local library and thought to myself: Isn't Lawrence supposed to be slightly ahead of the rest of Kansas in terms of intellect, diversity, culture, etc? And then I thought to myself: What's up with that local library? I'm sure it was considered "ultra-modern" some 35 or more years ago when it was built, but now it looks like a joke! Couldn't the city of Lawrence have given it a facelift somewhere in the last 10 years or so?

Even now, every time I go by there and see that building, I swear it feels like it's 1970 all over again! Groovy, man! Groovy! And for some reason, whenever I do go inside the library, I expect to find bean bag chairs and lava lamps situated here and there!!!

And speaking of 1970, has anyone ever noticed how old-looking the interior of the post office is that's just a hop, skip, and jump away from the library? I'll tell you what, every time I'm in that post office and I see that "simulated wood paneling" they have in there, I'm reminded of Mike Brady's den! ----You remember, don't you? Whenever the Brady kids had to go into "Mike's den" (he was always working on some architect project) to ask him a question, or to get chewed out by Mike for having done something wrong, like Peter making fun of Jan's braces, the interior of Mike Brady's den was just the same as that of the Vermont Street post office!---"Simulated wood paneling"!!! Circa late 1960's, first half of the 1970's!

Actually, the interior of Jim Rockford's (The Rockford Files) "trailer by the ocean" had that very same "simulated wood paneling" too, now that I think of it!

Yikes! Thank God them days of "hip-looking" interior design have long-since past us by!!!

Yes, mrcairo, the city does pay to keep the library going. All cities pay to keep public libraries going. They use tax money to do so.

Au_contraire 10 years ago

Maybe paint would help. The library could be made primary blue and green on the outside and have some yellow quonset huts put up on the roof for more book storage or something.

Then do something orange across the paving at the intersection culminating with the USPO being painted black and white checker-board with a huge blue zooming eagle sculpture (their logo) mounted on a tall pole on the corner. We could get Mike Brady to draw it up.

Or, maybe, put the money into the book budget. I'm sure Jim Rockford would approve.

mrcairo 10 years ago

Yes Kansas that's true. I couldn't put my finger on what exactly made the place feel goofy but it's that 70's look and feel.

Seems like a lot of people are stuck in the 70's I mean have you tried to find a radio station that doesn't play 70's music all day? I think I'll grow my hair longer and just play along.

Haymaker 10 years ago

What's the speed limit in the library? Not the Topeka one, I mean the Lawrence one. Which drivers in the library drive you nuts?