Previous   Next

What makes Lawrence unique?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 12, 2004

Browse the archives

“I enjoy the large international community.”

“The college atmosphere that it brings, combined with Massachusetts Street, which is predominantly local businesses.”

“A lot of college towns are very much the same - by way of the college they sort of have different population, just because you have students coming in and students change the feel of the town.”

“I constantly hear people say, ‘I used to go to school here, I’m moving back or retiring because I love it.’ We just think it’s fabulous - our downtown is one of the most incredible in the nation.”

Comments

goatdog 9 years, 4 months ago

The University, Oread neighborhood, the old downtown, Lanes' Addition, resilient old East Lawrence, the Mercantile,...but these would be nothing without the wonderful people who maintain their very existance with a fierce pride of place. And always remember,...."Dear Old Kansas" would not be called the "Free State" were it not for dear old Lawrence.

extreme_makeover 9 years, 4 months ago

You Surely dont take the bus do you.

antonyall 9 years, 4 months ago

So many great things to say about Lawrence and it's unique values. Lawrence is a beautiful, quaint, village in the middle of the vast USA. The peaceful nature of this town is complimented by the wonderful residents and their diverse nature. This diversity allows for so many creative events which pull the town together not to mention the vast amount of exciting things to become engaged in. In a world of rapidly growing crime and problems, Lawrence stands out as a unique "lonestar" of what a town should be like, making life enjoyable and safe.

Au_contraire 9 years, 4 months ago

I just spoke with the manager of one of the local BK stores and they reported that the City made them take Sponge Bob down because he was the wrong size sign.

Was that reported previously and I missed it?

All I can say is that is absolutely stupid! Couldn't they just look the other way for a few weeks?

Oh, not if Taco Bell complained, however. My bad.

Bud Fuller 9 years, 4 months ago

Lawrence needs to have a few more mini pain in the --- round abouts and bring sponge Bob back on Burger King. Oh yes, lets stop smoking everywhere except while driving and using a cell phone.

Liberty 9 years, 4 months ago

Lawrence has this marvelous avenue to make comments that help support the 1st Amendment of free speech. Thanks LJW! You have the Kansas City Star beat hands down!

Au_contraire 9 years, 4 months ago

I think you have me confused with Broadband man.

western_kansas 9 years, 4 months ago

Thank you for your response, Hong_Kong. Now maybe Au_contraire will spend the rest of the afternoon defending the city of Lawrence against you instead of me, because frankly, I've got more important things to do today than getting into some kind of flame war with someone else who thinks he is...........

"Au_contraire.....Defender of Lawrence!!!"

But be careful, Hong.....That giant red "L" (And the "L" stands for Lawrence, of course!) that Au_contraire has emblazoned across his massive chest can be quite intimidating if you allow it to be! Nevermind that long red cape of his!

Savage 9 years, 4 months ago

Yes, thats true. If your degree is in some useful field like medicine, chemistry, accounting, law, bus admin or computer science... one CAN find a much higher paying job in KC or elsewhere. The small town scenario makes me feel for the english, sociology, and philosophy majors who cant find a job that pays more than 10 per hour in Lawrence though. Many i have been friends with over the years... you know... hanging out at the replay and the never-ending quest for a good party, or when are we going to get the band going man?, crowd. Only to wake up one morning and say... oh sh%%!!! Im 30 years old now. I guess it was time to grow up and smell the coffee in another setting.

Anyways, I just relocated to Richmond Va. and it is perhaps the most beautiful city in North America. You should check it out sometime. There's an area here called the fan that offers specialty shopping and 102 of the sweetest restaurants youll ever find. Its like downtown Lawrence on steroids, with all the entertainment, same prices, and no anti happy hour laws.

So goodbye Free State, goodbye Replay, and like Willie Nelson said "to all the girls ive loved before."

uh hem.. uh hem.. to bad most were just one night stands. Lots of pretty girls on the east coast here. I think we just might have lawrence licked in that category.

later

Jay_Z 9 years, 4 months ago

Good points H_K_P, especially the one about the voting habits of the majority of those who live here. I think I summarized your post above, when I said the unique thing about Lawrence are the hippies that live here and who try to run everything.

extreme_makeover 9 years, 4 months ago

Kansas City means money honey. No sense in even Thinking of doing the lawrence thing.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 4 months ago

Lawrence is unique because nowhere else in Kansas will you find people that were dumb enough to vote for Kerry because they actually believed what he had to say. Wait...what DID he say besides "I have a plan"?

Only in Lawrence will you find people that think the downtown, and its stores, are such an attraction that nothing should be changed. You know what? If those shops were that good they would expand! You know what that would make them? That's right - the dreaded "chain store"!

Only in Lawrence will you find people that get ticked off because an old house, with virtually no historic importance gets torn down. Hey, just because it's old it doesn't mean that it should be preserved forever.

One thing that Lawrence does have is a lot of hot women. Er, at least the ones that shower on a regular basis, shave, and have heard of something called a "comb"...

mrcairo 9 years, 4 months ago

I couldn't agree more with Kansas.

Coupled with superiour intellect, after spending a few minutes in Kansas Shetty and Overland Puke then it becomes quite obvious, Lawrence is an Oasis.

kansaskate 9 years, 4 months ago

Having lived on the East coast for the past few months, since the election I've gotten quite a few dirty looks when people learn I'm from Kansas. "Oh, you're from one of THOSE states." I'm quick to point out that I'm from the blue in that sea of red.

Au_contraire 9 years, 4 months ago

I thought you were daring us with your answer to the question. Can you answer it?

western_kansas 9 years, 4 months ago

"Unique qualities"?

......Compared to the rest of Kansas, Lawrence is pretty unique, alright!

Au_contraire 9 years, 4 months ago

Not if you don't have an observation of Lawrence unique qualities.

western_kansas 9 years, 4 months ago

You don't really want me to answer this question, do you?

kansas 9 years, 4 months ago

What makes Lawrence unique? Oh, that's an easy one!

mrcairo.

Au_contraire 9 years, 4 months ago

What makes Lawrence unique is our art. From the wonderful new Arts Center to Art Walks to public installations, (not to mention the Spencer Museum of Art), one can take in myriad activities not experienced anywhere else.