Previous   Next

Should the City Commission compromise at all on the workplace smoking ban?

Asked at Royal Crest Lanes, 935 Iowa on December 4, 2004

Browse the archives

“I think so. It should have been up to the business owners in the first place. They have got to give them some kind of option.”

“I think allowing smoking in bars after 10 p.m. would be a good compromise.”

“I like it how it is now, but I think I’m one of the few. I think they should keep it this way.”

“Yeah, I think they should compromise. I think there is a difference between taking it out of restaurants and places like this, and taking it out of bars.”

Comments

Richard Heckler 10 years ago

I support the ban 100%. A compromise of 10PM - 5AM maybe could get by perhaps if it included high tech ventilation systems.

The window of opportunity for a compromise probaly should have been addressed during the initial discussion...it was not. I have two lady friends who felt it should be the owners decision however after going out dancing more often without the smoke they love it.

mr_daniels 10 years ago

All you anti-smoking Nazis out there can go take a flying freaking leap into Clinton Lake! Because I will defy you all by having a good smoke along with a great cup of hot joe and simply blow smoke into your dreamy eyes! HAH! Catch me if you can you sorry SOBs!

Janesays 10 years ago

The smoking ban should stay as it is. If this becomes an issue in the Commission elections so be it, but Lawrence is actually ahead of the curve with its current no smoking position. We now live in a city without the smoking ban and I truly miss the clean air in pubs and restaurants.

remember_username 10 years ago

The smoking ban should stay as is. After a while people will start getting used to it and the complaints will die down just like in CA. From what I've heard the only tangible harm has been to the city streets where many of the smokers have turned into litter bugs. I've been in a lot of packed bars since the ban.

Everyone can see the trend - very much like the angry "mr_daniels". Eventually smoking will die out as more and more people realize that personal freedoms don't extend to idiotic self-destructive habits.

remember_username 10 years ago

Oh, and LJW why don't you try asking that question in a neutral location like a grocery store not a bowling alley.

Bud Fuller 10 years ago

It should be up to the business owner and not big brother. Or maybe Lawrence should outlaw cigs and set u p checkpoints around the city to search cars.....

You have cigs on you, you go to jail. Dirty ....

Larry 10 years ago

When my wife and I go out to dinner, we would rather drive the 25 minutes from JoCo to Lawrence. It is wonderful to finally have numerous eating establishment choices where we can enjoy food and conversation.

As the comedian Steve Martin use to say--- If someone comes up to me and says "Hey, do you mind if I smoke?" Martin would reply, "while no, do you mind if I fart?"

Larry 10 years ago

Hey PigFarmer - How about we leave it up to each individual to drink and drive? How about we leave food preparations up to each business owner? No more health inspectors for rat, mice droppings, clean utensils, etc. How about we leave it up to each corporation to dispose of hazardous waste? How about we allow doctors to treat patients with any medicine they wish to try out. I mean, come on. We can't let or expect "BIG BROTHER" to make such important issues regarding the protection of our health.

jasoniniraq 10 years ago

Since smoking is considered a luxury, it should not effect the public. Most smokers don't care. I would rather not be around it if I don't have to. Its bad enough the smoking sections outside are in from of entrance buildings and you have to walk through that. I just thinks its rude to smoke around other people because it invades their space. I find it hard to breathe when I am by a smoker

Liberty 10 years ago

The real question is, does the City of Lawrence have the authority under the Constitution of Kansas to create and enforce a smoking ban against the people of Kansas??? If it is not listed as an authorized power from the Kansas Constitution given to a Kansas government from the people, then Lawrence city government has exceeded it's authority and does not have the authority to create or try to enforce such a law, in fact it would then be no law but unconstitutional and illegal law... But if this power is specifically listed in the Constitution of Kansas for them to exercise, then they have the authority given by the people to create a smoking ban. (Which of course can be revoked by the people).

mrcairo 10 years ago

I moved here from a state that banned smoking everywhere over a decade ago. I can't tell you how much this helped me reduce smoking from over a pack a day to a pack every 3 days.

The idea of allowing smoking after 10:00 pm in resturants and bars isn't that bad of an idea tho. I kinda like it. My family doesn't go out after those hours, so it would work for me.

ajbenson 10 years ago

It is very important that people who work for a living in public places have their rights to smokefree air to be respected. No one should have to put their future health at risk simply so some addicted people can light up while they are drinking a beer. So much is known now about the extremely hazardous nature of toxic tobacco smoke that this should be a given, no smoking in public places.

Adam 10 years ago

I have a lot of friends who work in bars and this ban is really hurting them financially. On average, their income has been reduced about 50%. I think that keeping the ban in place in restaurants is fine, but a bar? If you're really concerned about your health, you probably shouldn't be drinking in the first place, and if you're at the bar long enough for the second hand smoke to be a factor in your wellness, I suspect the effects of the alcohol you consume in that time will take its' toll long before whatever second hand smoke you are in contact with

remember_username 10 years ago

Adam - When I go to a bar I don't have to drink (alcohol that is). In fact sometimes I am designated driver and should not drink. But if I go to a bar that allows smoking the choice to smoke is no longer mine as I pick up enough secondhand smoke to affect me.

I have not yet heard statistics I believe about the economic effects of the ban - I've heard them from both sides. Granted nobody has stated that they are making money from the ban so I suspect there has been and will be short term losses. I also expect the bar business will recover, after all I've never heard of anybody who went out to a bar just to smoke.

Adam 10 years ago

That's true not everyone in a bar is drinking. But the majority are, and that's what I'm talking about. If you're spending enough time in a bar for the effects of secondhand smoke to be a threat to your health, odds are you're tippin' back on grandaddy's cough syrup a little!

Fangorn 10 years ago

There is a very simple solution to all this. If you don't like the smoke in a restaurant, EAT OR WORK SOMEWHERE ELSE! I realize using all CAPS is the chat equivalent of shouting, but that seems to be the only thing that will get some people's attention. I don't smoke. I never have smoked. I never will smoke. But I strongly support the rights of the restaurant owners to make their own decisions about how to use their property. You want a restaurant to be smoke-free? Get some of your friends together and buy the bloody place! Then you get to make the decisions.

If the ban stands, then I'm going to get on the commission. Then I'll start marking off the activities that I don't like and looking for places to ban them. I think most rap "music" is horrible. So no more rap in clubs. Oh, and hip hop can sometimes lead to rap, so none of that either. And country's out, too, so Coyote's may as well just shut down. And video games are just too violent. Some hyped up gamer might forget the game is over and try to frag my daughter at school. So if you have school-aged children, inspectors from my new Video Gaming Elimination Task Force will visit your home bi-monthly (more frequently if we get any anonymous tips).

Of course that last paragraph was hyperbole, and it was ridiculous. But no more ridiculous (and far less dangerous) than a government that doesn't believe in any limitations on its own power.

Larry 10 years ago

Good grief Fangorn - When people listen to rap, hip hop, or country music, IT DOES NOT AFFECT ANOTHER PERSON'S HEALTH. WHEN PEOPLE SMOKE, IT DOES! You're comparing apples to oranges. Bring a real argument to the table!

Bud Fuller 10 years ago

Okay Larry, smoking is just getting the foot in the door-chewing gum will be next.

remember_username 10 years ago

Fangorn - you argue that goverment should have limiits but you draw the line where? Should our government include a ban on gay marrages? How about seatbelts? Is it ok for fishermen to fish with dynamite?

I've got an even simpler solution - STOP SMOKING. It is unhealthy to all. An addictive habit with no redeeming values.