Previous   Next

If Air America, the new liberal talk radio network, came to the Lawrence area, would you listen to it?

Asked at Free State Brewing Co. on April 1, 2004

Browse the archives

“Abso-Franken-lutely. I think it should be the (Al) Franken decade again.”

“It’s about time we got more liberals in this town. If it’s an all-Democrat network, I’m all for it.”

“I would listen to it. I really enjoy talk radio, and it would bring up some interesting issues to talk about.”

“Sure, I’d listen to it. All views need to be expressed, and they’re not necessarily expressed on the radio right now.”

Comments

coolmarv 7 years, 5 months ago

It depends on whether they played only american artist or all artist.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 5 months ago

The 1990 movie with Mel Gibson was probably more entertaining.

jonas 7 years, 5 months ago

Oh, absolutely. I find the viewpoints of pundits to be refreshing clarity within a sea of spin that is our current political system. Especially Air America. I think that they definitely have the viewpoints of the common working man in their hearts.

Scott Drummond 7 years, 5 months ago

By the way, AA is already here if you subscribe to XM Radio. Since the corporate consolidation of media outlets has resulted in the same boring 2 or 3 national talks shows and overall right wing/corporate media slant, the great variety of information provided by satellite radio is the only way to go. It is nice to hear a liberal/progressive counterpoint to Rush/Shawn/Bill. I do listen, will listen and do support the advertisers of Air America, so bring it on to the free airwaves in Lawrence.

situveux1 7 years, 5 months ago

Any time liberals want to invest big money and have nobody listen, I'm for it.

Adrienne Sanders 7 years, 5 months ago

Uh, it's been available online since 2004, how is that new?

BigPrune 7 years, 5 months ago

I thought they were already out-of-business/off the air.I don't have the time to listen. I already hear/watch the left slanted news. That might be why conservative talk radio/television/web has higher ratings (Rush, Fox, Drudge).

kmat 7 years, 5 months ago

It is obvious from the comments on here that only a few have a clue about AAR. They have great programming and it is all available online for free. Thom Hartman and Randi Rhodes are awesome. You people should enlighten yourselves and listen. You'd be surprised how much you would actually learn and it isn't the hateful swill that the right wingers throw at us.I do have to remember that this is KS and too many here are happy to live in their ignorance. For those who aren't, http://www.airamerica.com/

SettingTheRecordStraight 7 years, 5 months ago

Air America reminds me of the line from the movie Tommyboy: "Let's get ready for our next huge, embarrassing failure."

SettingTheRecordStraight 7 years, 5 months ago

And we can't use "liberal" anymore, remember? All the liberals are "progressive" now. What a joke.

BrianR 7 years, 5 months ago

To me, far left talk sounds just as whack as far right talk.

jmadison 7 years, 5 months ago

Bring back the fairness doctrine so we can hear ERR America.

Godot 7 years, 5 months ago

I have listened to it occasionally on XM. Some of it was mildly entertaining, but, by and large, it is a big yawn.

TacoBob 7 years, 5 months ago

Stain:""Liberal" radio, before it started, knew there was one problem: Liberals don't tend to listen to ranting radio talk shows. They tend to read. There is a sort of built-in limit on how well it will do simply because of that. The other side likes to pretend it is because there aren't enough liberals, but it's because liberals get their information from other media, usually."That's hilarious. Conservatives don't read? Please. I'd like some empirical data to back that up.One measly liberal radio network can't make it. Why? Perhaps when one gets a clear concentrated dose of drivel, you can't stand listening. One liberal network can't survive, only one??

Jim Phillips 7 years, 5 months ago

What else would I listen to after a lobotomy?