Previous   Next

Besides drinking, what is the most dangerous thing to do while driving?

Asked at the Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vt. on May 28, 2003

Browse the archives

“There are so many. I think anything that diverts eyes from the road or takes attention from where it should be, whether it’s fiddling with the radio or talking on a cell phone.”

“Cell phones. People are concentrating on the talk rather than on the road. It’s irritating.”

“Probably using a cell phone while under any influence of drugs, period.”

“Probably talking on phones. From personal experience, I know people zone out and have a tendency to not be paying attention when they need to be.”

Comments

Dixie Jones 7 years, 4 months ago

i know for myself im not the most attentive driver when it comes to using my cell phone thats why i make it a point to find somewhere to stop when i get a call or just call them back. i have seen women putting on makeup while driving, the mascara trick cracks me up makes me wanna honk at em so they jump poke thierselves in the eye. multitasking was not meant to happen while driving ppl.......

Bubarubu 7 years, 4 months ago

I'll take someone talking on the phone over someone texting while driving anyday.

ndmoderate 7 years, 4 months ago

Texting on cell phones. This has to be the most frightening thing to see on the roads these days. People have already died from accidents due to idiots texting while driving, and I won't be surprised when it becomes worse in the next few years.

fu7il3 7 years, 4 months ago

The space-time continuum is a good point. What if suddenly cars weren't invented, and you a skidding your hind end down the hill where the road once was?

gccs14r 7 years, 4 months ago

Crashing. I think that is the most dangerous activity to do while driving.

pip2006 7 years, 4 months ago

Talking on your cell phone with your insurance agent, refusing to pull over to file a claim. This is dangerous not only to other drivers, but also to your insurance rate. Next time you call your agent, pull over to file a claim.

Crossfire 7 years, 4 months ago

Tetris on the PSP... It's ok on I-70 made level 32 on the drive from Lawrence to Hays. Cruise was at 77... Made the trip seem quick.

Crossfire 7 years, 4 months ago

It is not safe to drink an operate the PSP... Really messes with playing the game.

coolmarv 7 years, 4 months ago

Probably handling really old and unstable nitro glycerin.

Maybe posting comments on the LJ.......oh crap!!!______

Richard Heckler 7 years, 4 months ago

Cell phones/texting and drinking most anything while driving in the city.

Cell phone/texting driving needs to go away.

been_there 7 years, 4 months ago

What's with changing your clothes while you're driving? You couldn't take 30 seconds to do it before you got in the car? I'm sure the truck drivers don't mind though, but then they're not paying attention to the road.

been_there 7 years, 4 months ago

"the mascara trick " My friend used to do that until a highway patrolman showed her class a picture of a woman in an accident with a mascara wand stuck in her eye, cured her.

hawklet21 7 years, 4 months ago

The most dangerous thing to do... Eat? I hate seeing people trying to cram food down their throats while driving. I don't mean just a fry or two, either. I have seen people eating with a fork from a container. ????

Joe Hyde 7 years, 4 months ago

Driving when you're sleepy. Especially on the highway it's so easy to get drowsy when you're already fatigued. Monotonous engine noise gets to you; you blink, you're eyes don't open for a few seconds and bingo! you're across the centerline into the oncoming lane, or across the fogline and onto the shoulder.

Getting sleepy behind the wheel is scary, and very dangerous whether it happens in daylight or at night.

Charles L Bloss Jr 7 years, 4 months ago

To begin with, it is space-time continuim. Masturbating or having sex is the most dangerous thing to do while driving. Thank you, Lynn

Charles L Bloss Jr 7 years, 4 months ago

I spelled it wrong. It is continuum, please pardon the error as it happens so rarely. Thank you, Lynn

Calliope877 7 years, 4 months ago

I try not to have sex while driving...but....sometimes it just happens.:(

notajayhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

I'm still sticking to barbecuing.

After all, if you forget to roll down the windows, there's a significant risk of asphyxiation...