Previous   Next

Do you think the Harry Potter books promote witchcraft?

Browse the archives

“No, except if you believe in that kind of stuff maybe, but I don’t.”

“I don’t see J.K. Rowling as a promoter of witchcraft. I don’t know where that mentality comes from.”

“Absolutely not. It’s just fun and stimulates kids’ imaginations.”

“I think they can, because they don’t give clear, positive views of good and evil.”

Comments

Grandfather_Oak 7 years ago

I think they can, because they don't give clear, positive views of good and evil."

• Eric Patterson, minister, Lawrence

Well preacher, all I can say is this - either you haven't seen the movies no readthe books or you're blind...

yourworstnightmare 7 years ago

Yes. Xtians should by all means do everything in their power to destroy the books. How about a big old bonfire? They could march around it carrying crosses.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years ago

why is this coming up now? Be done already the books are all out now just the movies to go it really is not an issue anymore should have had this in here when the last book came out.

aeroscout17 7 years ago

No more than the bible does...give it a break already. Moses parted the Red Sea and brought locusts, etc.? How is this different from "witchcraft" other than it fits into your belief of God?

planetwax 7 years ago

And what about the Wizard of Oz? There was some witchcraft in that movie, both good AND bad. SO, WHAT????????????????????????????? This belongs in a tabloid.

Janet

BrianR 7 years ago

No, they promote reading. Muggles will argue about anything.

Tony Kisner 7 years ago

As a child the show Bewitched made me wish I was a witch. Home work to do - POOF! home work done. Want a new bike POOF got a new bike. I Dream of Jeanie was pretty much the same thing. So I have no problem being either a Witch or a Jeanie, if I can get things by twitching my nose.

jonas 7 years ago

hahhahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

pant pant cough

hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Man, I can see it now, some kid going "Look mom, I'm falling into the arts of witchcraft! Expelliarmus!!"

BrianR 7 years ago

Dammit Jonas, you knocked the mouse out of my hand.

Jackalope 7 years ago

They probably promote witchcraft about as much as movies promote the belief in a tall, invisible, talking rabbits named Harvey. I think some people are in need to going out an confronting some of the real evils of this world rather than seemingly being bent upon dueling with fictional characters.

preebo 7 years ago

Maybe. Probably as likely as the Golden Compass will convert kids to atheism.

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

We just did the time-warp again.

Kathy Getto 7 years ago

Rowling has done a lot of research on what people used to believe, but not all of those beliefs were held by the same people at the same place and at the same time - so many of the beliefs in her books are bits and pieces of different systems and mythologies. (Kind of like Christianity)

People find in books what they want to find. This is a good example of the Christian right transforming Rowling's words into something radically different. Take a harmless truth, twist it until it becomes unrecognizable, but now supports their position.

bunnyhawk 7 years ago

and what do you think the LJW is promoting by asking such a stupid question?

jonas 7 years ago

"BrianR (Anonymous) says:

Dammit Jonas, you knocked the mouse out of my hand."

It really took me way longer than it should have to get this, but well played, sir, well played.

jonas 7 years ago

4125 (Anonymous) says:

"Promoting witchcraft? Probably not - more likely promotion of poor literature:"

C'mon, 4125, it's target audience is 10-15 year olds or so. If it read like Faulkner or Joyce, it wouldn't have gotten read. Their better written than most for-fun literature.

badger 7 years ago

TOB said:

"June 14, 2001 was when this OTS was posted. I'm glad it is not being neglected any longer."

So, we see then that what Harry Potter books promote isn't so much the dark arts of magic as it is the necromancy of thread revival?

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years ago

now on to the real world winter weather advisory any bets on school in the morning or just another false alarm??:) As for Harry well, don,t know about promoting witch craft but it does teach you about friendship and standing up for what you believe in such as saving muggles and wizards alike, not to mention the the odd goblin or giant.

denak 7 years ago

Wow, I can't believe people are answering this thread. When I first read it, my first thought was "Yeah, Harry Potter" and then I read the date and wondered why on Earth it was being posted today. But since people are answering the question, so will I.

No, they do not. I've read all seven of the books for my own enjoyment and for my own kids' enjoyment and none of us turned into witches. It isn't even "real" witchcraft in that the spells,incantations etc don't work which, for us, is a good thing, since my kids have yelled" Avada Kadavra" to each other on a number of occassions. No one has dropped dead yet. (or maybe we are just Muggles)

What these books do promote is the belief, that in the end, good does win out. But they also promote a real world view of the world. Anyone who believes that these books are only about a boy named Harry Potter and a scar, has not read these books. These books talk about dictatorial leaders, how other government react to them, racism, elitism, male-female relationships and a host of other real life issues. These are not books that are only meant to be read by 10 year olds. In fact, I would go so far as to say that a 10 year old shouldn't read books 5,6 and 7 given the political nature of the books.

They just won't get it. But judging from some of the responses on this board, some adults don't get it either.

Dena

P.S. As for your question Mom, I think we are going to have school but I would be willing to bet that it is going to be a short day.

yourworstnightmare 7 years ago

They certainly promote wizardry. This shouldn't be hard for xtians to swallow as xtians are very experienced in believing in the supernatural.

GretchenJP 7 years ago

Harry Potter promotes witchcraft about as much as the Pokey Little Puppy. Get real people.

denak 7 years ago

"...How would you know this? Only a witch would have access to that type of info. Um?..."

Well, I did get an A in Divination...... or was that meterology. Oh well, I guess we will find out tomorrow.

I hope they don't take my broom away if I am wrong.

Dena

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years ago

well a couple of answers on my ?? but no betting cool, No dena do not think they will take the broom maybe just send you to the forbiden forest :)

Jillster 7 years ago

Funny...people never say peep about Disney movies or the fairy tales that spawned them, like Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio, etc. All of those stories have fairy godmothers, witches, magic galore, as do many children's stories. Kids also grow up believing in the Tooth Fairy, in Santa Claus,in the Easter Bunny...but aren't these magical beings?

I wonder if the same people who raised their kids on Disney movies and Santa Claus are any of the ones carrying on about Harry Potter.

Janet Lowther 7 years ago

It seems to me that if the Harry Potter books promote anything, it is tolerance. Even tolerance towards villains, at least 'till they do something actually bad. . . Then they get their comeuppance.

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

I'm sure Rowling cries all the way to the bank over her books being called "literary garbage".

gontek 7 years ago

If by witchcraft they mean interest in chemistry, physics, science, music, or arts then yes I can see how Harry Potter books may promote witchcraft. The books definitely promote reading.