Previous   Next

Should dodge ball be banned from schools?

Browse the archives

“No, definitely not. It’s just a sport like any other. I don’t know what makes it so damaging.”

“No. I played when I was younger and it didn’t seem to affect me, and it can be fun if monitored correctly.”

“I don’t think so. That was like the best time in gym class. I think kids look forward to it.”

“Yeah, I think it can get aggressive and some people might pick on certain kids.”

Comments

idarastar 7 years, 6 months ago

They don't use those hard rubber balls to play it. That is the kind of dodgeball people fear. Nowadays, it is played with the soft, light nerf balls. It's a wonderful game. Isn't there an adult team that plays at one of the rec centers?

Flap Doodle 7 years, 6 months ago

Ban everything! Especially ice weasels.

badger 7 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely not.

beans TOB with a ball for bein' a weenie

Dodge ball builds character!

...

Welts are too character!

badger 7 years, 6 months ago

Also, I agree with bea.

Presidential Debate Dodgeball. Waffle on a question, and the moderator gets a free shot.

Dixie Jones 7 years, 6 months ago

heck they even play dodge ball at the nursing home my mom is in..... if its good enough for them its good enough for the kids..... lol..... i'd rather see them ban the lil wooden scooters the ride on and run ocer fingers toes and what ever else is in the way than DB...... Have a super stand out day today all........

beatrice 7 years, 6 months ago

No, and it should be part of all presidential debates.

jonas 7 years, 6 months ago

Why should dodgeball be banned? That's a better question.

Tom McCune 7 years, 6 months ago

Heck no. (Even though I still have a scar on my forehead where the stupid wire mask they made us wear in junior hi cut me when I got hit in the face.) Best game ever.

Katara 7 years, 6 months ago

badger (Anonymous) says: "Absolutely not.

beans TOB with a ball for bein' a weenie

Dodge ball builds character!

Welts are too character!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ blink

It is too early. I completely read that wrong and was starting to think Badger was really mean.

Katara 7 years, 6 months ago

jonas (Anonymous) says: "Why should dodgeball be banned? That's a better question." ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The only reason I can come up with is that bigger kids can target the weaker/or smaller ones & hurt them but I think it would be better addressed by addressing the aggressive behavior individually with the child & he/her parents.

I was one of the smallest kids in my class but I was also very good at catching the ball so that strategy wasn't too successful for any bullies.

Anyone remember the scooters used in gym class? The ones that were basically four wheels nailed to a square wooden board? You could really whip someone around for an awesome ride when it was combined with a jump rope.

doc1 7 years, 6 months ago

NO NO NO. This is typical Lawrence BS. God some of the poeple in this town need to get pushed back in their lockers. Ahhhh

Katara 7 years, 6 months ago

Is dodgeball being considered for elimination in Lawrence schools? What is going to be the substitute sport in gym & recess?

idarastar 7 years, 6 months ago

Dodgeball is awesome! Or better yet, prison ball. That's what we mainly played in good ol' Lawrence Public Schools.

GretchenJP 7 years, 6 months ago

Is that everybody's experience, Bob's, or just yours? ;o)

GretchenJP 7 years, 6 months ago

Oops, didn't mean to plural "Bob" there.

preebo 7 years, 6 months ago

Remember the 5 D's of Dodge Ball...

Dodge. Dip. Dive. Duck. ...and Dodge.

craigers 7 years, 6 months ago

They definitely wouldn't have a hard time getting people to watch Presidential debates if the moderator got a free shot when they fumbled a question. That would be the greatest idea yet. Anything to boost the ratings and the interest of the nation right?

acg 7 years, 6 months ago

No you can't ban dodgeball. Just the opposite. They should make it mandatory. When did we start raising such weenies and woosies, anyway? Dodgeball is an intrical part of childhood.

mom_of_three 7 years, 6 months ago

no, it should not be banned. Even companies play dodgeball to relieve stress at work (wouldn't we love to work there!). If they are afraid about kids getting hurt, then play with nerf balls.

a2thek 7 years, 6 months ago

I think the world is coming to a very sad place when you have to try and start taking away from kids freedom and dodgeball is one of those. I use to love dodgeball. Yeah let's just have them do streches the whole hour is PE and then ban that. Maybe better yet skip PE and have them all sit aaround and hold hands and sing KUN BA YA. OR just give them play station 3 and tell them to get lost.

aeroscout17 7 years, 6 months ago

I love dodge ball; some of my best memories from school are playing it, and no I was not a big bully. Let the kids be kids and play their games. I remember when I was in elementary school in Montana the big issue was whether or not we could slide down icy slopes. The school wouldn't allow and yet guess what happened right after school was out? You got it, we were on those school ground icy slopes sliding and having a blast! It's all about liability which is why they probably want to ban dodgeball.

beatrice 7 years, 6 months ago

If you can dodge a question, Hillary, you can dodge a wrench!

Do kids really play dodge ball with Nerf balls these days? I can see it in the nursing home, perhaps, but not for kids. How would you know if you got hit? Plus, how can anyone not catch a nerf ball?

beatrice 7 years, 6 months ago

"or just give them play station 3 and tell them to get lost."

I just checked -- there is a video game called Super Dodge Ball. Is that not the saddest thing ever?

badger 7 years, 6 months ago

Wow, bea. Yeah, that's sad.

No, Katara, I'm not mean. I was just messin' with Bob.

Cause I'm jealous of all his Pulitzers.

wings ball at Bob's pointy egg head

badger 7 years, 6 months ago

Aw, nuts!

sits out for a few minutes

b3, you care to elaborate on why you favor banning a game instead of addressing the problem of people who use the game to bully others?

I mean, I used to get 'accidentally' hard-tackled by a school bully playing flag football. You want to ban that, too?

jumps back in the game

Writes, "How do you plan to combat global terrorist threats?" on a dodgeball

beans bea with the ball

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 6 months ago

A gal I knew saw a movie called "Dodge Ball". She only remembered one line. "This scrotum's not big enough for the both of us." spoken by the infamous Cal Testy.

davidnta 7 years, 6 months ago

Simple answer, no. It was my favorite game during gym.

storm 7 years, 6 months ago

If you don't like dodgeball, don't play it. Be one of the first to get hit. Then you don't have to play anymore. Trust me, it works.

sheshapes 7 years, 6 months ago

WHAT? Ban dodgeball??? Who's stinky idea was this?

NO WAY!

I know adults who still play dodgeball on "field day" :)

headdoctor 7 years, 6 months ago

Katara 7 years, 6 months ago

badger (Anonymous) says:

Wow, bea. Yeah, that's sad.

No, Katara, I'm not mean. I was just messin' with Bob.

Cause I'm jealous of all his Pulitzers.

wings ball at Bob's pointy egg head ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ No, I just read "being" as "in the". ;)

sheshapes 7 years, 6 months ago

headdoctor said, "Sheshapes, I am suprised that you are not for banning dodge ball. I am impressed."

Whatever gave you that impression doc?

When I was a kid, I rocked at dodgeball. I was always the first "girl" to be picked for a team.

headdoctor 7 years, 6 months ago

sheshapes (Anonymous) says:

Whatever gave you that impression doc?

I am not real sure. I am just glad there is one more person thats all about dodge ball. The kids don't need protected from being a kid.

Rabbitgoesthump 7 years, 6 months ago

I hated gym, I hated having to shower infront of other people, I hated my gym teacher and the fact that our gym uniforms where thin white shirts But Dodge ball day was the coolest!

Do they still let you play flootball in gym, Now that was no fun, all white tshirt, 15 year old girl being tackled by a bunch of guys thats something parents should be worried about, nothing like a high school boy tackling you "and its all in good fun"

I could name alot of things that should be banned from schools, and dodge ball isnt one of them

Kathy Getto 7 years, 5 months ago

Dodge ball reminds me of the film clip with two male baboons. One charges the other, teeth bared and claws out, then skids to a stop and begins grooming his rival. Dodge ball brings out this ironic connection between community and violence. Dominance, submission, blind-trust and great violence are lurking beneath the thin veneer we laughingly call civilization. Dodge ball scares us because it can expose our deeper side and darker impulses. Well-supervised Dodge ball with non-lethal weapons is good exercise and fun for most kids. The answer to this dilema, like most others, is not rocket science. If parents ask to keep their student out of Dodge ball games, honor their request.

MCwzMC 7 years, 5 months ago

Everybody is a winner!!! Yeah!!! Any sport that involves a ball, competition, or any physical contact should be banned. That way all children can grow up to be sheltered, whining, sniveling babies. Best yet, the minority view should force its perspective on all parents and children. That way the kids with overprotective parents don't get made fun of for not playing. Perfect.