Previous   Next

Should police use minors in liquor store stings?

Browse the archives

“I don’t really believe the drinking age should be 21 to begin with. I think it should be 18, so I think anything they do to enforce that law is wrong, and that’s more underhanded than a lot of things they’ve done to try and enforce the law.”

“No, I don’t think so. I think that’s entrapment. I think if they’re going to bust liquor stores for selling to minors, they should have to catch them in the act.”

“I don’t think so. I think it’s exploiting youth.”

“I work in a bar and the ABC uses them all the time and I think it’s stupid because they’re basically trying to set someone up to shut down their business.”

Comments

geekin_topekan 4 years, 5 months ago

Maybe put some baited minors in the Hawk or Wheel, the sight of recent shootings and stabbings. I am sure that they could catch multiple offenses.

Kris_H 4 years, 5 months ago

What the ABC does is, they send a "minor" (under legal drinking age) or a "minor" with an "adult" into the store to purchase alcohol. If the minor puts any money at all into the transaction, that is a violation and the clerk and store will be dinged for it. I have a friend who got caught in one of these because in a moment of cloudy thinking he allowed a second person to toss in a few cents because supposedly the other person was short on the money, and he didn't check the helpful person's ID. Nice setup. My friend got charged, but ultimately got a diversion on it.

What they did was take a couple of people they were going to charge with minor in possession and providing liquor to a minor, and offer to ameliorate their charges in exchanging for their participation in the sting.

That in fact is catching them in the act, since if the transaction is completed, it's an illegal one, no matter how you feel about the ethical aspect of it.

consumer1 4 years, 5 months ago

This question is not based on fact. The Police do not use people to "sting" liquor stores the Alcohol beverage control does. and , NO They should not be able to use a minor to purchase liquor. 1. It is illegal for a minor to purchase, posses or even touch alchol. 2. To have an agency that is beyond the law is wrong. 3. They should not be promoting the use of minors to break the law.

remember_username 4 years, 5 months ago

Wouldn't they be contributing to the delinquency of said minors? If not, is it then legal for a minor to purchase alcohol as long as they don't drink it and hand it over to an adult?

Amy Heeter 4 years, 5 months ago

Wouldn't the pick ax give them away?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 5 months ago

They should use miners instead.