Firefighters extinguish 2 minor structure fires in Lawrence

Firefighters responded to two minor residential fires in Lawrence on Friday evening and Saturday morning.

At about 9:15 p.m. Friday, fire crews and paramedics were called to a reported structure fire at 2700 Stratford Road, according to a news release from city spokesman Porter Arneill. Residents reported the fire after smelling smoke, which also activated a smoke alarm, Arneill said.

On the scene, firefighters extinguished a fire that was concealed in a space below a fireplace, Arneill said. The fire caused an estimated $25,000 in damages, Arneill said, but the occupants were able to return to the home when firefighters left shortly after midnight Saturday.

The next morning, at about 7 a.m., firefighters extinguished a small fire in a basement utility room of a duplex at 2502 University Drive, Arneill said. Residents of the duplex were alerted to the fire by a clapping sound in the utility room and a fire alarm, he said.

One of the residents suffered a minor injury while attempting to extinguish the fire, Arneill said, and that resident received treatment from paramedics at the scene.

Nine occupants of the duplex apartment in which the fire was reported and three from the duplex’s adjoining apartment were evacuated from the building while the fire crews worked, but they were able to return to their homes when the firefighters left at around 9:40 a.m., Arneill said. The fire caused an estimated $6,000 worth of damage, he said.


Welcome to the new Our old commenting system has been replaced with Facebook Comments. There is no longer a separate username and password login step. If you are already signed into Facebook within your browser, you will be able to comment. If you do not have a Facebook account and do not wish to create one, you will not be able to comment on stories.