Key race results
Where to vote
2006 Voter guide
<p><a href="http://www2.ljworld.com/news/politics/elections/2006/voterguide/">The Journal-World's coverage of key races »</a></p>
The Journal-World explores major issues elected leaders will face during the next four years. Go »
- Man convicted of 1999 rape and robbery at shoe store challenges 54-year sentence
- 03:32 p.m., March 4, 2015 Updated 10:39 p.m.
- A 54-year-old man convicted of a 1999 rape and robbery at Payless ShoeSource, 3231 Iowa St., is challenging the 54-year prison sentence Douglas County District Judge Paula Martin handed down in 2001.
- Martin Miller’s attorney argues murder retrial should be moved because of prejudice in jury pool
- December 31, 2014
- The attorney of a Lawrence man accused of his wife’s 2004 homicide argued in Douglas County District Court Monday that his client’s trial should be moved to a different venue following 10 years of publicity, court documents said.
- Former assistant D.A. James McCabria sworn in as Douglas County District Court judge
- December 8, 2014
- Former senior assistant Douglas County district attorney James McCabria was sworn in to his new position as Douglas County District Court judge Monday, filling the vacancy created by Judge Michael Malone’s August retirement.
- Kansas Supreme Court declines to disqualify DA’s office in Martin Miller case
- December 3, 2014
- The Kansas Supreme Court has declined once-convicted murderer Martin Miller’s request to have the Douglas County District Attorney’s Office disqualified as the prosecuting agency in his retrial after it was revealed that witness and son Matthew Miller, 22, had been living with senior assistant district attorney Eve Kemple’s son in her home.
- Edgerton man pleads guilty in Douglas County Court to molesting two girls
- August 12, 2011
- A 45-year-old Edgerton man in Douglas County District Court pleaded guilty Friday to molesting two girls, ages 5 and 6, in 2010.
- Kansas Secretary of State resigns to take private sector job
- 09:45 a.m., February 8, 2010 Updated 04:40 p.m.
- Kansas’ top elections official announced Monday that he’s resigning to take a top job at a Kansas City-area company that builds and manages government Web sites.
- Thornburgh joins Brownback staff for governor’s race
- September 3, 2009
- Sen. Sam Brownback and Secretary of State Ron Thornburgh are making a joint announcement at Kansas Republican Party headquarters regarding the 2010 gubernatorial race.
- 6News video: Officials to discuss coal plants
- February 22, 2008
- Kansas House and Senate leaders will begin discussions on Monday on new energy legislation that seeks to clear the way for two coal-fired power plants in southwest Kansas.
- Kline hires special prosecutor to target Morrison
- December 13, 2007
- On Thursday, Johnson County Commissioners gave permission to Kline to select a special prosecutor to investigate what he called blackmail and telephone harassment.
- Sebelius: Morrison should resign if charges proven true
- December 10, 2007
- Sebelius, who had welcomed Morrison when he switched to the Democratic Party, said she didn’t want to pre-judge Morrison, and noted that while he admitted to having the affair, he denied trying to use Carter to get information about Kline.
- Boyda wants consumer chief to resign
- November 24, 2007
- U.S. Rep. Nancy Boyda, D-Kan., on Friday said the Consumer Product Safety Commission hasn’t done a good job inspecting toys, and she called for the resignation of its leader. “If she is unwilling or unable to keep our kids safe, then we need to replace her with somebody that is,” said Boyda, whose 2nd congressional district includes western Lawrence.
- Interest stays strong for advance voting
- February 16, 2007
- Advance voting once again is proving popular in Douglas County.
- Advance voting once again proving popular in Douglas County
- February 15, 2007
- In a little more than a week since it started, more than 100 people have voted at the county courthouse, and nearly 600 ballots have been mailed out.
- Baldwin City faces primary election
- Lack of filings seen for some city seats in Eudora, Lecompton
- January 24, 2007
- Baldwin City voters will have a primary election Feb. 27.
- Kline accused of ethics violation
- December 21, 2006
- The commission plans to have a hearing Jan. 17 on the allegations.