Advertisement

Lawrence fires

Crews respond to fire at Lawrence manufacturing company
August 26, 2014
A paint booth inside a Lawrence manufacturing company combusted Tuesday, setting a portion of the building aflame briefly.
Firefighters put out structure fire at Sigma Chi fraternity
02:31 p.m., August 26, 2014 Updated 02:31 p.m.
Firefighters responded to a structure fire at Sigma Chi fraternity house, 1439 Tennessee, just before noon on Tuesday. Crews had the fire under control by 12:30 p.m. and were continuing to look for hot spots as smoke cleared.
Man taken to hospital after Lawrence apartment fire
August 22, 2014
One man was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital in serious condition after suffering from smoke inhalation following a brief fire at the Prairie Ridge Place apartments, 2424 Melrose Place, Friday afternoon.
Two-alarm fire damages home in North Lawrence
01:29 a.m., August 17, 2014 Updated 02:59 p.m.
Firefighters are on the scene of a two-alarm fire in North Lawrence Sunday morning.
House fire can’t burn childhood memories of lifelong Lawrence resident
June 20, 2014
Patti Green spent 22 years watching cars pass by from her family’s front porch at 1419 Kentucky St. That porch is charred now, blackened by a blaze last Saturday that left her childhood home condemned.
Saturday’s two-alarm blaze deemed accidental
June 16, 2014
Local fire officials say Saturday’s two-alarm fire in the 1400 block of Kentucky Street was accidental and that damages are estimated at $135,000.
Firefighters battle two-alarm blaze on Kentucky Street
04:23 a.m., June 14, 2014 Updated 11:32 a.m.
Three female college students are safe this morning after a good Samaritan passing by their Kentucky Street home alerted the women of a growing fire on their porch early Saturday morning.
No one injured in morning residence fire in Lawrence
10:34 a.m., May 30, 2014 Updated 08:06 p.m.
No one was injured in a two-alarm home fire at 2545 Ousdahl Road this morning, according to Lawrence Douglas County Fire Medical Division Chief Eve Tolefree. Firefighters responded to an 8:25 a.m. call of a garage fire and saw heavy black smoke from several blocks away from the home, Tolefree said. A second alarm was requested. Firefighters had the fire, in a split-level, wood-frame residence, under control by 8:54 a.m., Tolefree said.
More women in local public safety positions, but numbers still small
May 26, 2014
Women remain a minority across Douglas County’s public safety agencies, but their number is slowly rising. Those in public safety positions, meanwhile, say they’re working for more women in leadership roles who show them it’s possible to advance. By Stephen Montemayor
County sets public hearings for new fire districts in Palmyra and Willow Springs townships
April 16, 2014
The Douglas County Commission on Wednesday adopted preliminary resolutions establishing new fire districts in Palmyra and Willow Springs townships.
Grass fire threatens phosphorus tanks north of Lawrence; investigation ongoing
01:25 p.m., April 11, 2014 Updated 05:28 p.m.
Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical staff is on the scene at Israeli Chemical Ltd. in North Lawrence, where thick smoke is rising from a fire.
Lawrence man flown to KU Hospital after accidentally shooting self in East Lawrence home
April 10, 2014
A 47-year-old Lawrence man is being flown by a LifeStar helicopter to Kansas University Hospital after a firearm he handled discharged and struck his leg just before noon Thursday.
Lawrence man suspected of aggravated arson, reportedly seen pouring gas on Jayhawk Motel
09:52 a.m., April 2, 2014 Updated 05:57 p.m.
Police arrested a 57-year-old Lawrence man on suspicion of two counts of aggravated arson Tuesday after witnesses reported seeing him pour gasoline on the side of a North Lawrence motel.
Douglas County issues blanket burn ban for upcoming month
March 18, 2014
Douglas County issued a burn ban today that will stay in place for the next month, yet still allow some opportunity for burning pasture at safe times. Prompted by an unusually high number of out-of-control grass fires in recent weeks, the ban is unlike any the county has ever issued. By Sara Shepherd
Gas leak investigated at South Lawrence mobile home
01:00 p.m., March 5, 2014 Updated 03:48 p.m.
A South Lawrence mobile home was evacuated while fire-medical personnel and area energy company officials investigate a reported gas leak.