Lawrence City Commission agenda set for Nov. 6 meeting
1. Approve City Commission meeting minutes from 10/16/18.
2. Receive minutes from various boards and commissions.
3. Approve all claims. The list of claims will be posted by the Finance Department on Monday prior to the meeting. If Monday is a holiday, the claims will be posted as soon as possible the next business day.
4. Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
5. Approve appointments as recommended by the Mayor.
6. Bid and purchase items
a) Award bids for the 2018 Weatherization Grant Program as follows:
• Bid No. B1849 – Installation of storm windows to Kennedy Glass;
• Bid No. B1850 – Installation of blown attic insulation to Green Factor Insulation; and
• Bid No. B1851 – Weather-stripping of entry doors to Green Factor Insulation.
Total amount of all bids not to exceed $43,250.45.
b) Approve the following items related to the 19th Street Reconstruction Project – Phase B and Iowa Street and 19th Street Pedestrian Tunnels (CIP #PW18E7):
1. Award Bid No. B1823 for the 19th Street Reconstruction – Phase B and Iowa Street and 19th Street Pedestrian Tunnels (CIP #PW18E7) to RD Johnson Excavating Company, in the amount of $6,033,878.95.
2. Approve Amendment No. 7, in the amount of $65,000, to Professional Engineering Consultants, for additional services related to CIP No. PW18E7.
3. Authorize the Mayor to execute a Supplemental City/State agreement between the City of Lawrence and the Kansas Department of Transportation for the construction of the 19th Street and Iowa Street Pedestrian/Bicycle Tunnel Project.
4. Adopt Resolution No. 7273 authorizing repair, reconstruction and replacement of the pavement at Fire Station No. 5, pursuant to Charter Ordinance No. 40, and the issuance of General Obligation Bonds to pay the costs thereof, as part of the 19th Street Reconstruction Project – Phase B.
c) Authorize the City Manager to execute an agreement for the Clinton Reservoir and Kaw River water treatment plants lime reuse program, Proposal No. R1816, with RD Johnson Excavating Company, in the estimated amount of $135,000.
7. Adopt on first reading, the following ordinance(s):
a) Ordinance No. 9558, setting forth the duties and responsibilities of the Finance Department Director.
b) Ordinance No. 9564, repealing existing Chapter 1, Article 4A, of the Code of the City of Lawrence, Kansas, regarding the position of City Auditor.
c) Ordinance No. 9569, for a Text Amendment (TA-18-00121) to the City of Lawrence Land Development Code, Article 17, to permit Group Homes in the GPI district. This is a correction for a Text Amendment approved by City Commission on 5/15/18.
d) Ordinance No. 9572, authorizing the issuance of Industrial Revenue Bonds, in the amount of $3,000,000, for Heritage Tractor to obtain a sales tax exemption on construction materials to rebuild their facility at 1110 E. 23rd Street.
e) Ordinance No. 9573, authorizing the issuance of Industrial Revenue Bonds, in the amount of $10,200,000, for the KCI Lawrence 153, LLC (VanTrust) Phase I project located on Block B, Lot 1 in Lawrence VenturePark. Authorize the Mayor to sign the performance agreement between the City of Lawrence and KCI Lawrence 153, LLC related to the Phase I project in Lawrence VenturePark.
8. Approve the following items related to the sale of Water and Sewage System Improvement Bonds, Series 2018, to J.P. Morgan Securities, LLC.:
a) Adopt on first reading, Ordinance No. 9574 approving the sale of Water and Sewage System Improvement Bonds, Series 2018, to J.P. Morgan Securities, LLC.
b) Adopt Resolution No. 7270 prescribing the forms and details of and authorizing and directing the sale and delivery of Water and Sewage System Improvement Bonds, Series 2018, of the City of Lawrence, Kansas.
9. Adopt on second and final reading, Charter Ordinance No. 46, exempting the City of Lawrence, Kansas, from the provisions of K.S.A. 13-1024a and providing substitute and additional provisions on the same subject relating to general improvements and the issuance of bonds for the purpose of paying for said improvements; and repealing Charter Ordinance No. 27.
10. Approve and execute an amended and restated sanitary sewer easement for a sanitary sewer line located the structure at 1519 W. 23rd Street, associated with Site Plan, SP-18-00356, for Woofs, a dog day care.
11. Initiate rezoning, Z-18-00481, approximately 1.6 acres from IL (Limited Industrial) District to IBP (Industrial/Business Park) District, located at 1314 Research Park Drive.
12. Approve a request to rezone, Z-18-00355, approximately .150 acres from CS (Commercial Strip) District to RS5 (Single-Dwelling Residential) District, located at 829 Mississippi Street. Submitted by Homes with Heart LLC, property owner of record and adopt on first reading, Ordinance No. 9570. (PC Item 1; approved 9-0 on 9/26/18)
13. Approve a Special Use Permit/Institutional Development Plan, SUP-18-00363, for Lawrence Memorial Hospital for a 6,924 square foot Sterile Processing and Distribution addition on the east side of the hospital building, located at 325 Maine Street. Submitted by Landplan Engineering on behalf of Lawrence Memorial Hospital, property owner of record and adopt on first reading, Ordinance No. 9571. (PC Item 2; approved 9-0 on 9/26/18)
14. Authorize the City Manager to execute a License Agreement, permitting Climate Storage, L.L.C., a Kansas Limited Liability Corporation, to use an existing sign in the right of way at a property they own along the south side of 1547 E. 23rd Street, associated with Site Plan, SP-18-00270.
15. Approve statement of maximum costs, assessment roll, and notice of Public Hearing. Establish December 4, 2018, as the date of the Public Hearing for the purpose of hearing written and oral objections to the maximum amount of special assessments to be levied against properties in the Queens Road benefit district and the 6th and Queens Road intersection benefit district. Adopt on first reading, Ordinance No. 9607, levying the assessments.
16. Authorize the Mayor to dedicate right of way located on the northeast and northwest corners of 23rd Street and Massachusetts Street at Lot 12 in Block 4, in Haskell Place, an addition to the City of Lawrence and the South one-half of the East one-half of Lot 8 in Moreland Place, an addition to the City of Lawrence.
17. Receive the economic development Catalyst program application from Screen-It Graphics of Lawrence, Inc., dba Grandstand Glassware + Apparel to assist with its expansion project at 3840 Greenway Circle in East Hills Business Park and establish November 20, 2018 as the public hearing date to consider a property tax abatement in conjunction with the project.
18. Approve Social Service Funding Advisory Board recommendations for use of 2019 City funds.
19. Authorize changing the start time of the November 13, 2018 City Commission Meeting/Work Session to 5:00 p.m.
1. Consider adopting Resolution No. 7269, adopting a revised ethics policy for City employees, elected officials, and appointed officials.
ACTION: Adopt Resolution No. 7269, if appropriate.
2. Consider the following items related to employee longevity compensation:
a) Consider approving a discretionary longevity payment in December 2018 to employees who have completed five or more continuous years of regular employment as of January 1 of the current fiscal year; and
b) Consider adopting the Longevity Compensation Policy, effective January 1, 2019.
ACTION: Approve a discretionary longevity payment in December 2018 to eligible employees and adopt the Longevity Compensation Policy, if appropriate.
3. Consider authorizing the City Manager to enter into a contract with First Transit, Inc., to provide public transportation services from January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2023.
ACTION: Authorize the City Manager to enter into a contract with First Transit, Inc., to provide public transportation services, if appropriate.
The City Commission will convene at 5:45 p.m. Tuesday at City Hall, 6 E. Sixth St.