Lawrence City Commission agenda set for Dec. 4 meeting
1. Approve City Commission meeting minutes from 11/20/18.
2. Receive minutes from various boards and commissions.
3. Approve all claims. The list of claims will be posted by the Finance Department on Monday prior to the meeting. If Monday is a holiday, the claims will be posted as soon as possible the next business day.
4. Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
5. Approve appointments as recommended by the Mayor.
6. Bid and purchase items:
a) Award Bid No. B1848 to recommended vendors for 2019 Water and Wastewater Chemical Program.
b) Per Charter Ordinance No. 45, waive the requirement to rebid Project No. PW17B4CIP due to the bid received exceeding the engineer’s estimate and award Bid No. B1845, for the removal of the overhead walkway “canopy”, storm water drainage and concrete repair, to BA Green Construction, in the amount of $460,185.00. Authorize the City Manager to execute a Cost Share Agreement between the City of Lawrence and the private utility companies Westar and Midco for the construction of a new sidewalk in the alley between Vermont Street and Massachusetts Street and 8th and 9th Streets. Each utility company has agreed to pay $22,378.66.
7. Adopt on second and final reading, the following ordinance(s):
a) Ordinance No. 9575, amending Section 6-13A03(c) to match the Land Development Code permitting short-term rental units within a registered Accessory Dwelling Unit.
b) Ordinance No. 9608, granting an exemption of certain property in the City of Lawrence from ad valorem taxation for economic development purposes for Screen-It Graphics of Lawrence, Inc., dba Grandstand Glassware + Apparel, located at 3840 Greenway Circle.
8. Adopt Resolution No. 7276, finding it in the public interest to appropriate, through the exercise of eminent domain, certain private property interests, including a utility and pedestrian easement and a temporary construction easement, for the use of the City for the purpose of a road and waterline improvement project, including construction of sidewalks and other appurtenances thereto, on property commonly located at 2305 Vermont Street, Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas.
9. Authorize the addition of regular agenda items to the December 11, 2018 City Commission meeting.
1. Consider the following items regarding Queens Road:
a) Receive protest petitions regarding the establishment of benefit districts for the construction of Queens Road, from 6th Street to Eisenhower Drive, and improvements to the intersection of 6th Street and Queens Road.
Action: Receive protest petitions and make a determination that the protest petitions submitted to be insufficient, if appropriate.
b) Conduct public hearing regarding the maximum amount of special assessments to be levied against properties in the Queens Road benefit district and the 6th and Queens Road intersection benefit district.
Action: Conduct public hearing. Adopt on second and final reading, Ordinance No. 9607, levying the assessments, if appropriate.
2. Consider the following items related to street construction and traffic management:
a) Consider adopting Resolution No. 7271, repealing the Complete Streets Policy adopted by the governing body in March 2012 and adopting a revised Complete Streets Policy.
Action: Adopt Resolution No. 7271, repealing the Complete Streets Policy adopted by the governing body in March 2012 and adopting a revised Complete Streets Policy, if appropriate.
b) Consider adopting Resolution No. 7272, repealing the Traffic Calming Policy adopted by Resolution 6602 on August 23, 2005 and adopting a Neighborhood Traffic Management Program.
Action: Adopt Resolution No. 7272, repealing the Traffic Calming Policy adopted by Resolution 6602 on August 23, 2005 and adopting a Neighborhood Traffic Management Program, if appropriate.
c) Consider modifications to the existing traffic code and consider adopting on first reading, Ordinance No.’s 9576 through 9606, and Ordinance No. 9609.
Action: Adopt on first reading, Ordinance No.’s 9576, 9577, 9578, 9579, 9580, 9581, 9582, 9583, 9584, 9585, 9586, 9587, 9588, 9589, 9590, 9591, 9592, 9593, 9594, 9595, 9596, 9597, 9598, 9599, 9600, 9601, 9602, 9603, 9604, 9605, 9606, and 9609, if appropriate.
3. Consider authorizing the City Manager to execute a long-term fixed-base operator premises lease agreement and ground lease agreement of Lawrence Municipal Airport Lot 1, Block 2, with Hetrick Air Services, Inc.
Action: Authorize the City Manager to execute a long-term fixed-based operator premises lease agreement and ground lease agreement of Lawrence Municipal Airport, Lot 1, Block 2, with Hetrick Air Services, Inc., if appropriate.
4. Consider approving the 2019 City of Lawrence Legislative Priority Statement.
The Lawrence City Commission will convene at 5:45 p.m. Tuesday at City Hall, 6 E. Sixth St.