Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: Fighting chance

March 8, 2018

To the editor:

I have not heard anyone suggest that all teachers be armed with concealed guns. What I have heard is that teachers who wish to be, who are trained and/or retired military or law enforcement officers, should have that option.

I have heard individual teachers and teachers’ unions speak against arming teachers. But I will never hear any of the teachers and coaches — killed while trying to shield students with their bodies — say whether they would have preferred to have had a gun to defend their students and themselves.

Tragedies such as school or other public shootings prove that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comments

P Allen Macfarlane 1 month, 2 weeks ago

"I am trained to use a gun and, while I have never had to use a weapon to defend myself or others, I know I would like to have that option rather than be a defenseless victim or watch the killing of those who, through love or duty, I am charged to protect."

And of course by training you mean you have the experience of keeping students out of harms way in the case of an armed intruder entering your school while simultaneously having the focus needed to take on that armed shooter. I am not aware of any place in the country that offers that kind of simulation where you could judge or develop that kind of skill set.

Bob Smith 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Those in the orbit of those who want to disarm law-abiding Americans are awake early this morning.

Aaron McGrogor 1 month, 2 weeks ago

You certainly do have a special form of neuroses.

Marsha Goff 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Please see my response to Kendall Simmons below as it answers your question as well.

Bob Summers 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Why wasn't Nikolas Cruz in custody before he murdered?

Obama and Holder's "Promise Program" paid money from the justice department to school districts not to report bad student behavior.

PROMISE Program' that reduced the number of school-related arrests in Broward County Public Schools. In 2011-2012, BCPS had the highest number of student arrests in Florida but after the superintendent implemented the program arrests plummeted.

PROMISE gave school administrators the power to decide whether infractions were deemed worthy of involving the policy rather than following guidelines that were previously in place. PROMISE stands for 'Preventing Recidivism through Opportunities, Mentoring, Intervention, Support, and Education.'

The program was praised by the Obama administration and the school district was awarded $54 million in grants from the $4 billion 'Race to the Top' initiative

According to a pamphlet by BCPS, the 'Promise Program' was implemented in an effort to "eliminate the school-to-prison pipeline."

Glen Stovall 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Oh Bob---we can't have a discussion with you about mental illness and commitment laws because you are so ignorant about them.

Dennis Domer 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Nikolas Cruz was one of the law abiding citizens you are talking about, Bob.

The local authorities spent a lot of time with him and they could not lock him up because there were grounds to do that, apparently. Even the FBI could not have incarcerated him, had it responded more aggressively.

The question is why was he able to buy an AR-15? It certainly would not be against the Second Amendment to make it very difficult to buy one. You could still buy one but probably not Cruz. What is wrong with background checks?

If only you were reasonable about guns, which you are not, we could solve a lot of problems and still keep our freedom to buy these weapons that were only made to kill people. You and I both carried a M16 during our military service and we know that. Stop blaming this on Obama. We only have ourselves to blame for the continued slaughter.

Bob Smith 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Cruz was never arrested because the sheriff's office was following a policy begun during the reign of error to avoid arresting students who commit serious crimes.

Charles Jones 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Hard to speculate on last thoughts, Marsha, but maybe the victims would have preferred that their murderer didn't have a gun.

As far as arming teachers. Carry a gun into school, and you will be publicly shamed as a coward if you don't act the way gunnies like to imagine they would act in the event of a mass shooting.

Kendall Simmons 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Masha...there was a TRAINED and ARMED law enforcement officer ON THE SCENE in Parkland.

Please tell us what good his gun was??? How many students he saved??? How many shooters he stopped??? So much for a good guy with a gun making things better.

Bob Smith 1 month, 2 weeks ago

If the good guy is a coward, he's not worth a hill of beans. Don't bank on all us showing the white feather.

Marsha Goff 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Since you addressed me directly, I'll answer directly. You may read School Resource Officer Scot Peterson's reasons for acting as he did on the Internet if you choose. No one knows how he/she will react under pressure the first time they encounter it. A Korean war veteran told me he was armed with a tommy gun when he encountered an enemy soldier holding an old rifle that had a bayonet. He was so spooked by the bayonet, he turned to run and was shot in the posterior. Quite obviously, most soldiers do not react that way, nor did he in subsequent combat. My point is, people should have the choice to attempt to defend themselves and others. I allow you to have your opinion; you must allow me to have mine. I learned that at a very early age from my Ranger, lawyer, legislator father.

Bob Summers 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Lighten up Liberals.

Here. Have a six minute laugh from classic Hollywood Squares outtakes.