Lawrence City Commission agenda set for July 10 meeting
1. Approve City Commission meeting minutes from 06/19/18.
2. Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
3. Approve all claims. The list of claims will be posted by the Finance Department on Monday prior to the meeting. If Monday is a holiday, the claims will be posted as soon as possible the next business day.
4. Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
5. Approve appointments as recommended by the Mayor.
6. Bid and purchase items
a) Award Bid No. B1825 for 2018 Sanitary Sewer Rehabilitation Cured-In-Place-Pipe Project to SAK Construction, LLC in the amount of $1,647,440.60.
7. Adopt on second and final reading, the following ordinance(s):
a) Ordinance No. 9510, increasing the number of appointed members of the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board from five (5) members to nine (9) members and reducing the appointment from four (4) year terms to three (3) year terms; and repealing existing Section 15-202.
b) Ordinance No. 9480, rezoning (Z-18-00131) approximately 14.13 acres from PID (Planned Industrial Development) District to IG (General Industrial) District, located at 3641, 3660, 3661 Thomas Court and 3640 and 3660 E. 25th Street
c) Ordinance No. 9305, pertaining to the licensing and regulation of Bodywork practitioners within the City of Lawrence.
d) Ordinances repealing City Code references to the departments of Public Works and Utilities and respective department director positions and replacing with Municipal Services and Operations Department and Municipal Services and Operations Department Director, thereby authorizing and establishing the Municipal Services and Operations Department:
Ordinance No. 9484, Ordinance No. 9486, Ordinance No. 9487, Ordinance No. 9488, Ordinance No. 9489, Ordinance No. 9490, Ordinance No. 9491, Ordinance No. 9492, Ordinance No. 9493, Ordinance No. 9494, Ordinance No. 9495, Ordinance No. 9496, Ordinance No. 9497, Ordinance No. 9498, Ordinance No. 9499, Ordinance No. 9500, Ordinance No. 9501, Ordinance No. 9502, Ordinance No. 9503, Ordinance No. 9504, Ordinance No. 9505, Ordinance No. 9506, Ordinance No. 9507, Ordinance No. 9508, and Ordinance No. 9509.
8. Approve a Memorandum of Understanding between the City of Lawrence and VeoRide, Inc., to expand its pilot Bike-Share program from the KU campus to the City at-large using public rights-of-way.
9. Receive report on payment of $52,101.00 to Westland Construction Inc. for emergency sanitary sewer repair at 625 Sunnyside Ave.
10. Authorize the Mayor to sign a petition on behalf of the City of Lawrence, assembled by the Rail Passenger’s Association, regarding Amtrak maintaining rail service to existing routes, including the Southwest Chief which serves Lawrence. Staff Memo & Attachments
11. Authorize the City Manager to execute an agreement with Westar Energy, Inc., concerning certain street lights. Staff Memo & Attachments
12. Receive economic development application from Heritage Tractor requesting industrial revenue bonds for the purpose of accessing a sales tax exemption on construction materials to rebuild their facility, at the current location in Lawrence on East 23rd Street and refer to the Public Incentives Review Committee.
13. Authorize staff to bind coverage for the insurance period of July 1, 2018 through July 1, 2019 as follows: Property Insurance with Hartford Fire Insurance Company for $193,811, Fiduciary Liability Insurance with Axis Insurance Companies for $3,802, and the Emergency Service Organization Package Insurance with Arch Insurance Company for $70,191.
14. Authorize staff to make a formal request of Douglas County to financially contribute to specific capital expenditures related to the 2019 Budget.
15. Authorize the Mayor to sign a Release of Lien for 1032 New York Street.
16. Authorize the Mayor to sign two Releases of Mortgage for Alice M. Newman, 2101 Tennessee.
1. Consider a request to donate and install a mural on the ground-level concrete wall of the Lawrence Public Library and consider authorizing the City Manager to execute a Public Mural Agreement between the City and Connie Fiorella Fitzpatrick.
ACTION: Approve the request to donate and install a mural on the ground-level concrete wall of the Lawrence Public Library and authorize the City Manager to execute a Public Mural Agreement between the City and Connie Fiorella Fitzpatrick, if appropriate.
2. Consider adopting on second and final reading, Ordinance No. 9483, designating Missouri Street, Arkansas Street, Lincoln Street, East 13th Street and West 24th Street, within the corporate limits of the City, as major or main trafficways and provide direction regarding request for one speed hump in the 700 block of Walnut Street and one speed hump in the 700 block of Elm Street. This item was deferred from the June 19, 2018 City Commission meeting.
ACTION: Adopt on second and final reading, Ordinance No. 9483, and direct staff regarding speed humps as appropriate.
3. Consider the following items related to an agreement between the City of Lawrence and the Lawrence Humane Society, Inc.:
a) Adopt on first reading, Ordinance No. 9516, making certain findings; authorizing the issuance of general obligation bonds or temporary notes of the City to finance an economic development grant to the Lawrence Humane Society, Inc.; approving an agreement between the City and the Lawrence Humane Society, Inc.; and approving the payment of certain funds to the Lawrence Humane Society, Inc.;
b) Authorize the City Manager to execute an agreement with the Lawrence Humane Society to provide $2.5 million toward construction of an animal shelter facility; and
c) Authorize an initial payment of the grant funds, in the amount of $500,000.
ACTION: Adopt on first reading, Ordinance No. 9516, authorize the City Manager to execute an agreement with the Lawrence Humane Society to provide $2.5 million toward construction of an animal shelter facility, and authorize an initial payment of the grant funds, in the amount of $500,000, if appropriate.
Work session agenda
1. Receive the 2019 Operating Budget and 2019-2023 Capital Improvement Plan revenue and expenditure updates and provide direction as appropriate.
2. Receive the 2017 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) from Mize, Houser & Company, P.A.
The City Commission will convene at 5:45 p.m. Tuesday at City Hall, 6 E. Sixth St.