Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

New driver’s license requirements causing headaches for some in Kansas

A new Kansas driver's license design, announced Thursday, Aug. 3, 2017, includes either a gold circle with a white star cutout proving the holder is lawfully in the U.S. and that it is acceptable federal identification, or the words "not for federal ID."

February 11, 2018

— In September 2017, Gretchen Underwood went to the driver's license office in Lawrence to do something she had done many times in her life without much hassle: She went to renew her driver's license.

However, little did the 78-year-old Lawrence woman know at the time that only a month earlier, the state of Kansas had adopted a new form of driver's license that requires much more documentation than had ever been required before.

Underwood said she has been trying for the last four months to get her new Real ID license but so far has been unsuccessful because none of the documents she has produced meet the standards that are now required.

This sample image shows a new Real ID driver’s license. The licenses, intended to comply with a federal law that requires driver’s licenses to meet certain standards, are distinguished visually from old licenses by a star in the upper right corner.

"It's frustrating. Completely frustrating," she said in a phone interview Friday. "I can't imagine why this is necessary. I've had these documents all my life and they've been fine. Why aren't they fine now?"

The new licenses are intended to comply with a federal law, known as "Real ID," that was enacted in 2005 but that will kick into full force in October 2020. That law requires state-issued driver's licenses and ID cards to meet certain standards in order to be used for conducting official business with the government.

People who either aren't able or don't want to go through the process still have the option of doing what Underwood said she had to do as a short-term solution: obtain a standard license that doesn't meet Real ID standards. But starting Oct. 1, 2020, those licenses will not qualify as valid identification for certain purposes such as boarding a plane or entering a military base.

Licenses that don't meet the federal standard will be marked with the words "not for federal ID," and people using those licenses will have to produce another form of ID, such as a passport, to pass through airport security or a military post.

At a minimum, according to the Kansas Department of Revenue, to obtain a Real ID driver's license, people now must show a valid passport or birth certificate — one that is not laminated and has an official state seal that is raised; and proof of a Social Security number — either an official, nonlaminated card or a recent pay stub or a tax document such as a W-2 that bears the person's full Social Security number.

People who are not U.S. citizens or who were not born in the United States can show an unexpired permanent residency card or work authorization card, a naturalization certificate or a consular report showing that they were born abroad.

In addition, people also must show proof of Kansas residency, such as a current driver's license, a utility bill dated within the past 90 days or a vehicle registration.

But for people like Underwood, who was born in Minnesota, got married in Iowa and lived in other states before settling in Kansas in the 1970s, even that may not be enough.

That's because, in addition to all of those requirements, anyone who has ever changed their name — because of marriage, adoption or any other reason — also must show legal documents explaining the name change.

"Then they told me I needed my marriage license, because my Social Security name didn't match," she said. "So I got all that and went back (Wednesday) and was told that my birth certificate wasn't the correct one, even though I've had it all my life. So I have to contact Minnesota and get a different one."

The new licenses require an official, state-issued birth certificate, not a hospital certificate, which is not an official document.

"And then my marriage license too, which I've always used for identification, wasn't the one they wanted either," she said, "so I have to contact the state of Iowa and get that done."

In addition, Underwood said, she has to obtain a new Social Security card because the one she has now shows only her middle initial, not her full middle name.

Rachel Whitten, spokeswoman for the Kansas Department of Revenue, said she has heard a number of similar stories since the new licenses debuted in August. And as a result, she said, the department plans to roll out an advertising campaign starting this coming week to make people more aware of the new requirements.

"It can be tricky. You've got people who are used to doing things one way, and so now we're trying to get the word out," she said in an interview. "We're making every effort to get it out, but certainly we know there are always ways we can improve, and that's what we're doing."

Whitten said the ad campaign initially will include only digital ads spread through social media networks, but she said it could expand later to include public service announcements on radio and television.

Comments

Joe Blackford II 2 months, 1 week ago

Will a "Real ID" be required to receive a pilot's license to just fly Boeing 7X7s into structures; or to also land?

OH, NEVER MIND, DHS just emailed me an answer as I was typing this out.

William Anness 2 months, 1 week ago

If he US government enforced the immigration laws of this country instead of importing cheap labor for big business, we wouldn't be facing problems such as these. Of course "big business can afford to bribe the government "servants" much more than we, the citizens can! Incidentally, another pet project of the Democrats that we can thanks them for!

Joe Blackford II 2 months, 1 week ago

"Incidentally, another pet project of the Democrats that we can thanks them for!" -=> FALSEHOOD

"Lawmakers in Jefferson City have objected and legislated against Real ID, a federal law passed in 2005 by fellow Republicans in Washington in the midst of national security concerns following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks."

P Allen Macfarlane 2 months, 1 week ago

"....importing cheap labor for big business...."

I hate to say this of my fellow countrymen, but these folks perform labor that most of us are either too lazy, don't have the work ethic to do or have this thing about the status of someone doing hard labor.

MerriAnnie Smith 2 months, 1 week ago

Democrats? I thought Trump was a Republican.

He uses undocumented immigrants at Mar-a-lago.

Christy Sargent Anderson 2 months, 1 week ago

So, a yellow star eh? Just like the fascist govt of 1936 Germany? How ironic.

Joe Blackford II 2 months, 1 week ago

Contratry to Republican dogma, repeating a FALSEHOOD doesn't make it TRUE !

Bob Summers 2 months, 1 week ago

Why not tattoo a Federal ID barcode on your wrist like they do on the movie Idiocracy?

The future is now.

Thomas Porter 2 months, 1 week ago

But will this prevent Illegal Aliens from living and working in Kansas?

Kathy Theis-Getto 2 months, 1 week ago

Who knows, but it will certainly make it difficult for some folks as I’m sure it will be required to vote in the near future.

Cille King 2 months, 1 week ago

Laws for registering and voting in Kansas have been heavily influenced by our current SOS. There are candidates running for SOS this year who would continue current laws (strictest in the nation), and candidates who would work to increase voter participation. Will you be voting in the August 7th primary or the November 6th General Election to help determine our next SOS, and Governor, Insurance Commissioner, and representatives?

MerriAnnie Smith 2 months, 1 week ago

Not as long as Republican farmers, etc. continue to give them jobs in Kansas.

Bob Smith 2 months, 1 week ago

The photo shows a white star in a yellow circle, but don't let that keep anyone from earning a Godwin flag today.

Thomas Bryce Jr. 2 months, 1 week ago

But the article clearly states, "Those licenses are distinguished by a circle with a yellow star in the upper right-hand corner of the document, a symbol that indicates the license meets federal standards and can be used for official business." Some people look at pictures, some read the article. It was an easy mistake to make. No "Godwin Flag" needed.

Josh Berg 2 months, 1 week ago

I just recently got registered in Kansas and had absolutely no problem getting my new license. I simply followed the instructions and presented the right paperwork. I don’t get how it took someone 4 months to furnish basic documents that everyone should have? Just listen to the people at the dmv and it will take you all of 45 minutes like it did for me.

Joe Blackford II 2 months, 1 week ago

Mr Berg, please reread article & practice reading comprehension skills. Then tell us why you had no complications @ DOR/DMV.

didn't change your name when you were married, eh?

possibly born after point in time when Hospitals issued Birth Certificates?

"Underwood said, she has to obtain a new Social Security card because the one she has now shows only her middle initial, not her full middle name." OH GAWD, am I in trouble. My SS card issued in 2003, has "W" for MI; middle name is 10-letters long, will it all fit?

OH, and Josh, may I suggest you change your middle name to "Ice?" Only 2 letters over an initial . . .

Bob Summers 2 months, 1 week ago

What you are saying about SS numbers is someone like Obama would have a difficult time getting a drivers license in Kansas.

Well I'll be...huh...

Joe Blackford II 2 months, 1 week ago

comment has not been posted due to restrictions on rational thought & civil discourse in the shallow end of the gene pool.

Oscar Meyer 2 months, 1 week ago

Not only that, but Obamalinski's social security number was issued in Connecticut to someone else. They gave him that number, for some unknown reason, at age 18, even though he had NEVER been to Connecticut by that time. And, it said "Barry Soetoro", which is his real, given name. As far as we can tell, he has never changed it legally to "Barack Hussein Obama"..... no documents exist that he changed his name. Some truthful liberal tell me how THAT can happen?

Thomas Bryce Jr. 2 months, 1 week ago

So, Oscar Meyer or Sal Monella or whatever your name really is, is this your very first post under these "Names"? According to the date, Feb, 11th 2018, and the 1 comment listed when I click on your name, it is. Welcome to a Forum where your real name is required. How did you get to post if that is the case? How did THAT Happen?

Bob Summers 2 months, 1 week ago

"How did THAT Happen"?

Steve Hicks they are "Russian opinion-manipulators".

Thomas Bryce Jr. 2 months, 1 week ago

Wouldn't be the least bit surprised, Bob. Not one bit.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 2 months, 1 week ago

Only in your Alex Jones world. Try joining reality, Oscar and Bobbie.

Josh Berg 2 months, 1 week ago

Sorry Joe, I guess my reading comprehension skills fly out the window when your terrible grammar shows up.

Noel Holub 2 months, 1 week ago

It depends on your age and if you can find those papers, some people don't keep those things in one place or have moved several times and they got lost in the shuffle. I agree, read the instructions and get everything together before you go to the DMV.

Tony Peterson 2 months, 1 week ago

Getting the right paperwork isn't always easy. I used to do attendant work for an elderly woman who wanted to attend her granddaughter's wedding in Virginia but didn't have a current photo ID that she needed to get on the plane. Couldn't get a Kansas ID card because her driver's license and passport had expired too far in the past so she had to request a copy of her birth certificate and start from the very beginning.

Not easy to do because she was born in North Dakota but didn't know where and North Dakota requires a copy of a current valid photo ID before they'll send a copy of a birth certificate.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 2 months, 1 week ago

Hey, Josh. I should a whole bunch of these papers to get my passport. Would you like to explain to me why that one document shouldn't be enough for the backward state of Kansas?

kathy white 2 months, 1 week ago

You are a man, that in itself makes it easier for you.

MerriAnnie Smith 2 months, 1 week ago

You seem to have the attitude that everyone is just like you... what YOU can do, everyone can do.

This country is made up of millions of people, every one of which is a unique individual with his or her own special circumstances.

You might need to assess your idea that they should all be like you.

Ann Hamil 2 months, 1 week ago

Privilege is thinking something is not a problem because it is not a problem for you.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 2 months, 1 week ago

I'm telling everyone that they should get a US passport now, and get the passport card to carry around with you at all times. They are going on busses and trains demanding proof of citizenship. Soon you will have to have your papers on you every time you leave the house.

kathy white 2 months, 1 week ago

That is my plan because I believe that is exactly where we are headed.

Carolyn Davis 2 months, 1 week ago

going a little over board, in having to prove Who we are and where we were born. This is happening for other things besides drivers license. how do you get some thing that was never issued,or has been lost cause of fire in the building it was kept in. how about a set date ( year ) 1930 passed so no new documents are needed, just what they have always brought in. This is punishing people for some thing they had and have no control over.

Sue Bird Hucke 2 months, 1 week ago

I had to renew mine also this month and I made 4 trips before I was able to complete this. It's crap. I've lived at the same place for 71 of my 76 years. The only time I lived elsewhere was when my husband was in the service. I was born and raised in Kansas. All this homeland security crap is just making life difficult for the citizens, yet terrorists will still be able to get through and do us harm.

Thomas Bryce Jr. 2 months, 1 week ago

I did get my "Real ID" when I had to renew this year. What I did not understand was that I had to supply a Social Security card, Birth Certificate and Drivers License to Get a US Passport but a US Passport is not good enough for the State of Kansas to get a "Real ID" State of Kansas Driver's License. I also had to show my DD-214 to get "Veteran" status on my "Real ID" even though I had veteran's Tags on my car and Motorcycle. I now have a US Passport, a State of Kansas "Real ID" and my CCHL and I will present all 3 when I show up to vote in the 2017 Mid-terms as a Registered Democrat. Hope that is enough ID for "Herr Kobach".

Tony Peterson 2 months, 1 week ago

But it has to be a "non-laminated" social security card. The one I've had for the last 43 would no longer be sufficient proof because it was laminated decades ago.

Thomas Bryce Jr. 2 months, 1 week ago

Yeah, I was lucky on that count. I still had it in it's original form. It was a real eye opener when they stated what was acceptable and what was not. Because of my not having the right papers the first time and a typing error on their part the second time, I finally got my "Real ID" on the 3rd attempt.

Thomas Bryce Jr. 2 months, 1 week ago

Really! I was surprised too. A passport was not enough. The un-laminated social security card seemed to the the most important one to them.

MerriAnnie Smith 2 months, 1 week ago

I was just lamenting to my husband that my SS card (the original from 1958) is a bit frayed around the edges. He said I should laminate it. Glad I didn't.

Linda and Bill Houghton 2 months, 1 week ago

How about someone who doesn't have a middle name or initial? Or has only has one or two initials and no given name? I have examples of both. I met L C Hall in the army. Our daughter has a 10 character given name and no middle name or initial. She grumbled in earlier years about the forms that she had to fill, that only had only 9 spaces for her first name. Now most forms have in excess of 10 blanks. Her name was a compound name and she normally uses just the first five letters. I have met at least one other that had a first name that was more than 10 characters long.

Patricia Kirk 2 months, 1 week ago

She takes a good drivers license picture. I'm always insulted (or was when I drove) that the police officer doesn't question it being me.

Tony Peterson 2 months, 1 week ago

Driver's license photos are never flattering but as long as your eyes are open it doesn't matter. One year when I had my license renewed the photo was so bad the woman at the DMV who took the photo looked at it and said, "we're shooting THAT one again."

I never saw the photo but it must have been pretty horrific if the DMV wanted to reshoot it.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 2 months, 1 week ago

So if I opt for not getting a "Real ID", I can still fly with my passport? I am going that route. If my passport, which I already presented all of my info to get, isn't enough for Kansas, then too bad. Of course I'm not happy about having to travel in my OWN country with a passport.

MerriAnnie Smith 2 months, 1 week ago

I was thinking... should I get my SS # tattooed on my wrist? I could add my zip code... It starts with 666

Joe Blackford II 2 months, 1 week ago

Apply for a passport or have visa photos taken at Strong Hall, Room 300. Students, faculty, staff and community members are all invited to use this service. Appointments are required and are available between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m. Tuesday through Friday (except KU/federal holidays).

I believe KSU has a similar office, but Google can't find it.

All those lab rats flying out of country for specimens to bring back for KSU's Center of Excellence for Emerging and Zoonotic Animal Diseases (CEEZAD) sometimes don't look the same when they come back with a disease. I believe you can have your retinas scanned; but KU Eye will have to reattach them. /sarchasm

Rae Hudspeth 2 months, 1 week ago

It's really a lot easier to park at the downtown Passport Office at the Main Post Office on Vermont St, than it is to park anywhere near KU at those hours. The passport office does take your photo, contrary to outdated information.

MerriAnnie Smith 2 months, 1 week ago

Passports are expensive. Most poor people can't afford one. Just got one for my grandson a few moths ago but honestly can't remember what I paid.

$300 sticks in my mind but surely I'm wrong... I hope.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 2 months, 1 week ago

I don't think it's gone up that much. I think it's only around $100, isn't it? People are concerned, because licensing a gun would leave out poor people, but they aren't concerned with poor people not being able to afford passports, that they may need to travel in our own country.

Richard Heckler 2 months, 1 week ago

The new headaches are supporting the GOP and their voter suppression agenda. This had nothing to do with illegal immigrants.

Why would an illegal immigrant even think about applying for state documents that would reveal his/her whereabouts?

Steven Brunkan 2 months ago

My question is on the middle initial. Other states allow the use of a middle initial. Did the woman in the story have her middle name on her license and that is why she needed a new SS card with her middle name printed so they would match or is KDOR requiring the use of the middle name?

Richard Heckler 2 months ago

The extreme right in this country can hack voting machines .....they don't need Russia. Diebold among others owns voting machines and is a big backer of the conservative right wing in the USA. Diebold can program voting machines to vote wrong.

Why do we americans vote in the rich which are supported by the rich to make decisions for the entire middle class and sensible Americans?

Is it possible we're not getting the most ethical choices on the block?

Too many of the rich want to destroy the middle class. They have sent tens of millions of middle class jobs abroad with no job replacement in sight.

Isn't their something wrong with this picture? http://www.fairvote.org/irv/

Demand a change on the next ballot. http://www.fairvote.org/irv/

Incumbents, famous political names say NO to the voters, live in glass houses and digest corrupt money.

We need public financing of campaigns. Citizens cannot afford special interest money campaigns for it is the citizens that get left out. Let citizens vote on this issue.