Archive for Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Results: Soden, Boley, Herbert top Lawrence City Commission vote

Kimball, Beeson, Fincher, Ingram win at-large school board spots; Harmon wins unexpired term

April 7, 2015, 6:36 p.m. Updated April 7, 2015, 9:08 p.m.

Lawrence voters showed up at the polls Tuesday to determine three seats on the Lawrence City Commission and five seats on the USD 497 school board — one unexpired term and four at-large seats.

Unofficial results from the Douglas County elections office …

Lawrence City Commission (three seats)

Candidate Votes
1. Leslie Soden 6,131
2. Stuart Boley 5,783
3. Matthew Herbert 5,739
Terry Riordan 4,180
Stan Rasmussen 4,049
Bob Schumm 2,859
Precincts reporting 64 of 64

Lawrence City Commission candidate Leslie Soden watches as the results of the election come in on Tuesday, April 7, 201,5 during Soden's watch party at Merchant's Pub and Plate, 746 Massachusetts. Soden was the top vote-getter in the general election with 6,131 votes. by Nick Krug

Lawrence City Commission candidate Stuart Boley, right, is congratulated by Brent Teufel, boyfriend of candidate Leslie Soden, as the two talk on Tuesday, April 7, 2015, at the Douglas County Courthouse. Boley was the No. 2 vote-getter in Tuesday's general election with 5,783 votes. by Nick Krug

Lawrence City Commission candidate Matthew Herbert, left, looks over updated election returns with current commissioner and vice mayor Jeremy Farmer Tuesday, April 7, 2015, at the Douglas County Courthouse. Herbert was the No. 3 vote-getter in Tuesday's general election with 5,739 votes. by John Young

USD 497 School Board unexpired term (one seat)

Candidate Votes
1. Marcel J. Harmon 5,107
Mary L. Loveland 4,245
Precincts reporting 86 of 86

USD 497 School Board at-large terms (four seats)

Candidate Votes
1. Shannon Kimball 5,418
2. Jessica Beeson 5,050
3. Jill Fincher 4,951
4. Rick Ingram 4,758
Bob Byers 4,015
Lindsey Frye 2,669
Ronald "G.R." Gordon-Ross 1,819
Precincts reporting 86 of 86
2015 Lawrence school board election winners, top row, from left: Shannon Kimball, Jessica Beeson, Jill Fincher. Bottom row, from left: Rick Ingram, Marcel Harmon.

Tweets from Chad Lawhorn
Tweets from Elliot Hughes

Comments

Philipp Wannemaker 2 years, 6 months ago

Looks like Lawrence voters woke up The 2 incumbents and the bought and paid for by outside money candidate are the bottom on votes counted. Now get rid of Farmer and the council might finally dump their title as the developers flunkies.

Gary Williams 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes please we don't need Farmer as a Mayor, he was right in the middle of the recent damage with Rock Chalk and the other insane projects

Andy Anderson 2 years, 6 months ago

Looks like Lawrence voters are getting what they deserve.

Three cheers for the vote!

Philipp Wannemaker 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes, the voters won and the developers and C of C lost. Seems public is finally fed up with the way the City Council has operated. Do you now see why Corliss bailed out, he saw what was coming?

Richard Crank 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm just really sorry the turnout was so low, even if I do really like the result.

Andy Anderson 2 years, 6 months ago

People do not vote, because in this season of transformation, it no longer matters to vote.

Melinda Henderson 2 years, 6 months ago

Hope Chad will get it nailed down tonight if all three new commissioners are on board with following "tradition" and electing Vice Mayor Farmer as Mayor next week. It's a simple yes/no question.

Philipp Wannemaker 2 years, 6 months ago

Hope they throw this tradition out. Farmer needs to go at next election. He is one of the developers and C of C flunkies.

Gary Williams 2 years, 6 months ago

Congratulations to Soden,Boley and Herbert Now its time to get down to serious business, They did the talk now lets see them do the walk. We will all be watching

Andy Anderson 2 years, 6 months ago

The deck chairs on the Titanic have been rearranged. Cool.

Gary Williams 2 years, 6 months ago

Riordan, Schumn, ever hear of Karma the bible calls it planting bad seeds when they grow they will produce either a negative out come or positive in this case the two of you planted some bad seeds so what went around came around.A man will reap what he sows And remember pride comes before the fall, seems to me you have fallen

Melinda Henderson 2 years, 6 months ago

Nice judgment message there. What does the bible say about that? Nevermind. I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to mix church and state here.

Gary Williams 2 years, 6 months ago

Not a judgement statement just the truth, They brought the judgement on themselves what goes around comes around.

Clara Westphal 2 years, 6 months ago

I remember a few years ago the person who was next in line for mayor was voted down. It could happen again.

Gary Williams 2 years, 6 months ago

I will always believe we should allow the people to vote for a Mayor not the commission.

Melinda Henderson 2 years, 6 months ago

Well, Gary, why don't you get to work on that then? I would suggest familiarizing yourself with Kansas statutes as a start.

Gary Williams 2 years, 6 months ago

No thank you though it maybe a state statue I believe the people should have the right to cast their votes for a Mayor, Melinda please calm down I was just making my opinion as you have done

Melinda Henderson 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm perfectly calm. Just trying to point out that just because you believe something should be doesn't make it happen. Trying to point you in the right direction. I think all of the new commissioners are quite willing to have a conversation about changing the structure of how we do things and letting the voters decide who should be mayor. But right now I believe in the process/"tradition" that we've pretty much followed up to this point, with the nasty exception with Mike Rundle during his first term on the commission. No reply necessary.

Philipp Wannemaker 2 years, 6 months ago

Hope the 3 new council members do so again. Either top voter getter or Amyx.

Melinda Henderson 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it better not. It happened to Mike Rundle during his first term as a commissioner. That got fixed when he ran again. I would hate to see the new city commission get off to an ugly start by re-visiting this issue if any of them want to try to build any kind of consensus over the next year. Otherwise, it will make the last two years look like a freaking Sunday picnic and, yeah, THAT'S what's going to encourage more business development. Which is what we need desperately.

William McCauley 2 years, 6 months ago

"THAT'S what's going to encourage more business development. Which is what we need desperately."

Well I can tell you from personal experience, that Mr. Farmer will do little to encourage or spur "business development". He has made a number of smart ass comments during his term as it is. For example telling residents who don't agree with the 9th st. arts crap, to stop writing emails to the grant people, to advise them of the residents dislike. I personally, as a member of this community, would not like to see him sat as Mayor. I'm pretty sure had his name been on the ballot, he would not still be here as well.

Samantha Martin 2 years, 6 months ago

Repost: Traditionally the vice-mayor is next inline to be Mayor, there have been times when that tradition was not followed and commissioners voted for someone else. Lawrence has a bad reputation for being business unfriendly at city hall. True or not, we don't need a clown as Mayor. Lets not make it even tougher to market our community with Farmer at the helm.

Melinda Henderson 2 years, 6 months ago

So everyone here who doesn't want Jeremy to become mayor also hates the new rental registration ordinance? Please advise.

Melinda Toumi 2 years, 6 months ago

Hmm. Farmer's heart is in the right place, but it looks like he has never dealt with crooks who water down concrete or guys that have illegal hiring practices in drywall operations. The other 2, being experienced in dealing with all kinds of people, should have done better. Whoever the next mayor is, s/he has an enormous amount of work to do in regaining the voter's trust.

Gary Williams 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes he has a big heart when it comes to helping the needy, but we need to understand he was right in the middle of the most insane spending and left the people of Lawrence very deep in debt and increased taxes. One needs to be very careful not to be drawn into the game that we have witnessed with the recent commission.

Melinda Toumi 2 years, 6 months ago

I appreciate Jeremy most of the time, but I hate the inspection program. It's weak, slow, and has no protections for renters. All sorts of people have been dumped out of rental homes suddenly. How is it legal for B. Yoder to rent out apartments with tarps covering the roof? It's all crazy.

Gary Williams 2 years, 6 months ago

Seems to me it needs to be looked over again and revised to work the right way

Melinda Henderson 2 years, 6 months ago

Gosh darn it, Gary, it WAS. Last year. You didn't know that?

Gary Williams 2 years, 6 months ago

Hi Melinda, Yes I knew about it I my company works with many property management companies here in Lawrence.

Melinda Henderson 2 years, 6 months ago

So you think the new ordinance still sucks?

Gary Williams 2 years, 6 months ago

Listen carefully for the last two years absolutely nothing happened that was good for the city except for insane spending and higher taxes and stupid roundabouts.

Melinda Henderson 2 years, 6 months ago

Listen carefully, Gary. The new rental registration ordinance was good for the city. And Jeremy is the reason for that.

Gary Williams 2 years, 6 months ago

Also good for the higher taxes the city received with votes coming from the recent commission including Farmer. I am not against the rental policy just making sure it is presented the correct way.

Melinda Henderson 2 years, 6 months ago

I have no idea what you mean by "presented in the correct way".

Miko Harper 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes, those darn roundabouts and their increased safety and efficiency, grrr!

shakes fist violently

Melinda Henderson 2 years, 6 months ago

So you who don't like the revised RR program do realize that inspections haven't even started for non-single-family zoned rentals, right? And the single-family-zoned properties will now fall under the new regulations?

David Holroyd 2 years, 6 months ago

When will we hear more about the "pot lucks" ?

I might go and bring a dish fron the restaurant - Cafe In de Waag in The Netherlands? The King boleten & quinoa met gepocheerd el, Greene asperges & bloemkool sounds good with Chablis if I can find someone with a culinary mind and a food taster before it is served up at the "potluck".

Bon Apetit!

Melinda Henderson 2 years, 6 months ago

FWIW, the only time I ever get to eat the seven-layer pea salad is at a pot luck. And Copper Pennies, too! Reason enough for me.

Gary Williams 2 years, 6 months ago

Now many are speaking this evening about Jeremy Farmer and the Mayors position, We are hoping the new commission will not vote Farmer in but as you see in the picture taken from the story above it does not surprise me Farmer is right there with Matthew Herbert . Now it gets you thinking is the Kiss A#@$ beginning before they even take the commission seat, these new folks need to be careful . Jeremy knows his time is short so he will have to start some where by using the weakest link. Now why isn't Farmer with ones as Riordan,Shumn ?Because he knows they were toast from the get go so he knows that he needs to start working on the new commissioners.

Melinda Henderson 2 years, 6 months ago

Were Schumm and Riordan even AT the courthouse, Gary? Were you? Was Amyx? I'm gonna go with a "no" on both of those.

Gary Williams 2 years, 6 months ago

No I was not there I was spending time with my family if you have to know Melinda.but the picture shows me that there is already the buddy buddy stuff going on.Melinda you seem to be very upset for some reason or another is it maybe your folks lost the election Even my 13 and 17 year old sees what i am talking about. They even came to me without saying a thing about the picture. They know whats going on

Melinda Henderson 2 years, 6 months ago

I can live the results perfectly fine. It's something I learned to do years ago. I would just caution you about making assumptions.

Mike Wahweotten 2 years, 6 months ago

I listened to 1320 last evening, and Hank Booth (on location at the Courthouse) interviewed Amyx, Farmer and Herbert, and was going to interview Soden but the clerks told Booth he had to go. Aprx. 9 pm.

Melinda Toumi 2 years, 6 months ago

Melinda, it's April 2015. None of the properties around me have been inspected. My neighbors could die from faulty wiring any time. Windows don't open. No sinks in bathrooms. It's criminal.

Gary Williams 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes I agree.Melinda it is a crime, I just hope Matthew Herbert does not cave with Jeremy, Now you know Herbert has many properties himself so they seem to be rubbing shoulders

Melinda Henderson 2 years, 6 months ago

What is the zoning? Single Family or Multi Family?

David Holroyd 2 years, 6 months ago

League of Women Voters, bio information for Matthew J Herbert. J for Jeremy?

Community/public Service. " I am an active donor for Just Food, the local pantry"As a commissioner, I would donate 100% of my salary to Lawrence charities"

More in common with Jeremy Farmer than we think?

Remember , the integrity of Marnie Argersinger, Don Binns, and Chuck Fisher.

!

Michelle Fales 2 years, 6 months ago

Once again the posters here making mountains out of molehills. Just so you won't all speculate on the Herbert/Farmer relationship any further: Those two have known each other since high school, maybe even earlier. Just because a picture of the two appears in the paper doesn't mean anything more than...they were both at courthouse at same time, happened to be talking and picture was taken. That's it. Don't make things what they are not. Happy Hump Day all!

Richard Heckler 2 years, 6 months ago

Rental Registration is a good document however it only has strength if enforcement is enforced. Code enforcement has typically been understaffed considering the work load so I speculate.

One way to subvert codes and regulations is to not keep enough inspectors on the payroll. Can we say deregulation? Please come down hard on any "blind eye" activity if it exists.

Having said that I say city hall needs more inspectors not only to enforce Rental Registration but also to keep a much closer eye on new construction,to enforce site plans etc etc etc.

All rentals will not be inspected annually. It would be good to enforce "problems" first however as a February 2012 document reveals there is an estimated 20,720 rental units in Lawrence or 58% of residential. Of course we know many more have been brought on line since then which puts a lot of empty roof tops in our market.

David Holroyd 2 years, 6 months ago

Rick Masters, how did Cheryl the Mannequin fare in the election?

If Cheryl had won would she have then at one point become Mayor?

The Mayor"job" is just a title, that is all!

Richard Heckler 2 years, 6 months ago

There are spending issues and/or design plans on the table that might should be put on the back burners for at least 60 days after the new commission is seated. Issues such as the Sewage plant,9th street Art Corridor,new retail and other other downtown stuff.

Our new commissioners need time to study these matters before voting on them. The sky will not fall and it is simply good business procedure.

How will Topeka activity begin to impact our economic growth and residential market values?