Archive for Thursday, March 13, 2014

Victim ‘remains hospitalized’ following throat stabbing at Lawrence Community Shelter

March 13, 2014, 9:39 p.m. Updated March 13, 2014, 9:39 p.m.

Kansas State Highway Patrol officers go to the back of the Lawrence Community Shelter, 3655 N 1360 Rd, just east of the Douglas County Jail where a man suffered life-threatening injuries when he was stabbed in the throat Thursday afternoon in the dining area of the shelter. The victim was taken by ambulance to a Kansas City-area trauma center and the suspect was taken by police to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for medical treatment.

A 46-year-old Lawrence Community Shelter staff member suffered life-threatening injuries after reportedly being stabbed by a shelter resident Thursday afternoon.

Loring Henderson, the shelter's executive director, declined to identify the victim, the kitchen manager, Thursday but said he is expected to survive.

According to the Douglas County jail booking log, Christopher Jamond George McKay, 21 of Kansas City, Mo., was arrested in connection with the incident.

In a statement released Thursday evening, Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence Police Department spokesman, said the victim underwent surgery and remains hospitalized at a Kansas City-area trauma center.

McKinley said the suspect was arrested on suspicion of first-degree attempted murder.

Lawrence police responded to a call of a stabbing just after 3 p.m. at the shelter at 3655 North 1360 Road. There they found the man stabbed in the throat and the suspect inside the shelter’s dining hall, McKinley said. The stabbing occurred during a dispute.

Police originally reported the victim to be a resident.

"This is my worst day," Henderson said of his tenure, which began in 2005 and is soon coming to an end. "This is not something that happens at the shelter. Everybody, even the fella who did the stabbing is a victim, if you will.

"Everybody's harmed and it's disturbing for all the residents of the shelter and the staff."

McKinley said several other residents and staff intervened to stop the attack. The suspect was later taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for treatment, McKinley said. No other injuries were reported after the incident.

Henderson commended staff and residents for their actions in the moments between the stabbing and the arrival of emergency personnel.

"That was heartwarming," he said.

Elliot Hughes contributed to this report.

Comments

Richard Ballard 9 months, 2 weeks ago

James Howlette 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Your comment is inappropriate and insensitive.

Leslie Swearingen 9 months, 2 weeks ago

It is horrible that this happened. The shelter should be a safe place for those who are in dire straits with no other place to go. There are those living there who are working very hard to get their lives back together so they can move forward and this will bring a fear that will be distracting that this, however unlikely, will happen again and at random.

Mr. Henderson, this is all on the man who decided to commit this act, none of it is on you. You have only done what a decent person should do to help others, and we should all thank you for your efforts, because none of us knows when the wheel of life will turn and bring us down to the bottom.

Short of doing extensive body searches every time someone comes into the building, which would be an iffy prospect to say the least, I can't think of a way to stop someone from bringing a knife into the building. Also, if it was in the kitchen he may have grabbed it because it was handy.

Dan Eyler 9 months, 2 weeks ago

The shelter has a responsibility to keep shelter residents safe. The only victim is the guy who got stabbed. I for one am very concerned that Mr. Henderson sees the suspect as a victim. This would indicate to me that the shelter lacks screening processes that can keep others safe. It concerns me that there are other violent "victim" living in the shelter who are also a threat to my neighbors and neighborhoods near the shelter. I don't buy the victim argument and I don't buy the argument that all residents at the shelter are working hard to turn their lives around. Neighbers in and around the shelter need to be cautious of the danger that lurks in the shelter. As for the shelter residents, not all are suspect but Mr. Henderson and staff are not victims, they are responsible for allowing violent individuals into the shelter. Just like a bar owner who attracts violence, the city of Lawrence should demand the same, stop it or shut down. Yes Henderson is absolutely responsible.

Curtis Martell 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Mr. Eyler, You obviously have no idea ho the shelter is managed on a day to day basis. You have no idea of what it means to be homeless. You have no idea what the primary causes of homelessnes are and you have no compassion. Witnessing an attempted murder is traumatic.

What else do you suggest the City of Lawrence demand? Outlaw violence? Don't allow anyone with mental illness into the city? Impose a minimum income for allowing a person to live in Lawrence?

You sir are ignorant and unkind.

Tom Hilger 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm not commenting on this article because I can't read it because I need to answer a question. Just yesterday I answered 7 of your stupid questions and was told that I would NOT have to answer more for 7 days. Come on people what's the deal?

James Howlette 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm not sure what purpose the surveys serve. Certainly not accuracy.

Chelsea Kapfer 9 months ago

i answer them all untruthfully. just for fun.

Clark Coan 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Notice the offender is from KCMO. I'm getting sick and tired of social workers and case managers in KC and Topeka urging their clients to go to Lawrence because we take care of our homeless better. That's why there should be a three-year residency requirement to get services.

Aaron McGrogor 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Three year residency requirement? That's rich. How exactly are people going to be able to prove that? They're homeless.

Leslie Swearingen 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I am not homeless, I have lived in Lawrence since 1973, but I have no idea how I would prove that. Come to think of it, I don't know how I would prove I am non-violent.

Beator 9 months, 2 weeks ago

...now that I think of it....I don't know how I would prove I am violent.

Leslie Swearingen 9 months, 2 weeks ago

"Do you want to see how hard I can punch?" Name the movie, the character and the actor.

Beator 9 months, 2 weeks ago

If I wore mom jeans, that may prove I am not violent?

Curtis Martell 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Case workers urging their clients to go to Lawrence? Is there evidence of this? Why was I allowed to move into Lawrence from Chicago? Do you have any experience working with the homeless? How do you know so much about these referrals? You are also sterotyping everyone who lives in KCMO. I was taught as a young man that sterotyping was wrong. How about you get your head out of the sand, stop reading the comments section and go out and help someone instead of bitc**ing.

Darin Wade 9 months, 2 weeks ago

All your murders come from KCMO and KCK..I told police Then they come to Lawrence to hide out.KCK and KCMO are a trail of homicide offenders..

Curtis Martell 9 months, 2 weeks ago

All of them? What about Marty Miller who murderd his wife a few years ago? Did you ever notice that a LOT of people who live in Lawrence are not born here?