• The city will be installing a new water line on New Jersey, from E 9th Street to E 10th Street. Temporary road closures will affect E 9th Street but not New Jersey Street. Project timeline is May 27 to July 3.
• Construction continues on intersection improvements at 23rd and Iowa Streets. Traffic has been shifted to the west side of the intersection. This will allow for two through lanes of traffic for westbound drivers. There will still be one through lane and one turn lane for the remaining east, south and north traffic. No large structures or superloads will be allowed through the project work zone.
• Intersection improvements continue at Sixth and Iowa Streets. The existing box bridges under Sixth Street for north and south traffic on McDonald Drive and Iowa Street will be closed to through traffic for about six weeks. South Iowa traffic accessing the turnpike will be detoured to the East Lawrence turnpike interchange. Message boards will be installed on the turnpike to encourage south Iowa traffic to use the Lawrence/Lecompton interchange or the East Lawrence interchange. One lane on Sixth Street will be closed to remove street light poles early next week between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. All lanes of traffic on Sixth Street will be open before 9 a.m. and after 4 p.m.
• Temporary single-lane closures on Iowa Street from Irving Hill to Harvard for pavement marking. The project will take approximately one week to finish. Work is weather dependent.
• Eastbound and westbound 31st Street from Louisiana Street to Ousdahl and Louisiana Street just south of 31st Street will be closed to all traffic. Motorists will be able to turn north on Louisiana from 31st Street or east on 31st Street from Louisiana. This closure will remain in effect through summer 2015, weather permitting. The 31st Street closure is needed for the construction of a bridge size box culvert and the reconstruction/realignment of 31st Street. The Louisiana Street closure is needed for the construction of the relocated 31st Street slab bridge over Naismith Creek.
• Milling and patching is taking place on streets generally near Fifth and Sixth and Tennessee Streets working towards Indiana St. The area generally east of Iowa Street and north of Sixth Street encompasses the entire work zone. There may be locations that will include partial or full street closures for periods while work is being performed, especially those days that surface treatment work (overlay or microsurfacing) is performed. Streets may be impacted on separate occasions. The work is anticipated to be completed in August 2014.
• An overlay paving project between the east Topeka and Lecompton/Lawrence exits on the Turnpike/I-70 (mile markers 183 to 198) began in late April.
• The utilities department is replacing the water line from Louisiana to Alabama Streets on 23rd Street. During construction the right lane of westbound traffic will be closed. Traffic control devices will be in place to direct motorists beginning 300 feet east of Ohio Street and both lanes of traffic open just west of Alabama Street. Staff anticipates this closing to last through the end of July. This schedule may change because of weather and construction needs.
• Contractors are installing two new force mains, by horizontal directional drilling from the KAW Wastewater Treatment Plant to Pump Station 04 in North Lawrence. The intersection of 8th and Walnut is expected to remain closed until the end of the project in July. Detour signs have been posted in the area of 8th and Walnut to accommodate for local traffic as well as park and boat ramp visitors. Barriers will be installed to detour traffic as necessary within the project schedule. Traffic will be rerouted to Elm Street, Oak Street or Ash Street.
• An area in Burcham Park will be fenced off with no public access to the river bank parking and playground equipment areas during construction of the Kaw Water Treatment Plant Raw Water Intake project. Temporary access to the KU Boathouse and park shelter area have been constructed around the work area. The access restrictions are expected to remain in place until work is completed in July.
• Because of the renovation and expansion of the Lawrence Public Library, there are intermittent closures of the street in the 700 block of Vermont or Kentucky when crews need to unload materials for construction.
• Because of a road closure in the 900 block of New Hampshire Street, a public transit route (7) is being detoured as follows: Southbound on New Hampshire to Ninth, left on Ninth, right on Connecticut, right on 11th, left on Massachusetts and back to the normal route.
• The utility department will begin a waterline replacement project on Forrest Avenue from Learnard Avenue to Maryland Street and Maryland Street from E. 15th Street to Forrest Avenue. There will be no parking and the road will be close to through traffic, Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. The project is expected to last until September 30.
• Westland Construction is replacing water line on the west side of North Iowa Street from Riverridge to Lakeview Road. North Iowa Street will remain open to two-way traffic throughout construction. The westernmost lane of southbound North Iowa Street from Riverridge to Lakeview will be closed to allow for installation of the water line. Access to southbound North Iowa Street from eastbound Kresge Road will be temporarily restricted.
South Lawrence Trafficway
• In December, a three-year construction project began to complete the six-mile, four-lane Kansas Highway 10/South Lawrence Trafficway freeway. The project will move existing K-10 onto a new alignment that will begin at the south junction of the U.S. 59 and K-10 interchange and reconnect with existing K-10 in East Lawrence. Construction work on the project will be completed in phases. Each phase includes specific work and advance notification will be sent under separate cover for each phase of construction, including planned traffic impacts. The overall scheduled completion date for the project is Fall 2016.
Northbound and southbound E 1750 Road from N 1360 Road to 35th Street/N 1250 Road in Lawrence will be closed, 24/7, for bridge embankment through Spring 2015, weather permitting.
Eastbound and westbound 35th Street from Iowa Street to the Baker Wetlands Visitor Center and 31st Street from E 1700 Road to E 1750 Road in Lawrence will be closed, 24/7 for box culvert construction work through mid-May 2014, weather permitting.
Eastbound and westbound 31st Street from E 1700 Road to E 1750 Road in Lawrence will also be closed 24/7 for box culvert construction work through Spring 2015, weather permitting.
No marked detours will be provided. Drivers should expect minor delays and must use alternate routes during the roadway closures.
Northbound and southbound Haskell Avenue from 27th Street to 29th Street will be closed 24/7 for utility work, box culvert installation and reconstruction work until Spring 2015.