- A construction project at 23rd and Iowa streets is moving into the second phase of eight. Beginning on Tuesday, traffic will shift to the west side of the intersection, allowing for two through lanes of traffic for westbound drivers. There will still be one through lane and one turn lane for the remaining north, south and east traffic. No large structures or loads are allowed through the work zone.
- Construction for improvements of Sixth and Iowa streets intersection began on May 19. In the first phase, existing box bridges under Sixth Street for north and south traffic on McDonald Drive and Iowa Street will be closed to traffic to about six weeks. South Iowa Street traffic accessing the Interstate 70 turnpike will be detoured to the East Lawrence turnpike interchange. Message boards will be installed on the turnpike to encourage southbound Iowa Street drivers to use the Lawrence/Lecompton interchange or the East Lawrence interchange. One lane on 6th Street will be closed for traffic while street light poles are removed between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. next week.
- The City of Lawrence will install a new water line on New Jersey Street, from East Ninth Street to East 10th Street. Road closures will affect East Ninth Street but not New Jersey Street. The project is expected to start May 27 and finish July 3.
- While contractors for AT&T; and the City of Lawrence have completed work on the intersection of 23rd and Louisiana streets, city utility workers continue work along 23rd Street. One westbound lane of 23rd Street will remain closed. All other traffic movements in this area have returned to normal.
- An area in Burcham Park remains fenced off with no public access to the river bank parking and the playground during ongoing construction. Temporary access to the Kansas University Boathouse and park shelter area have been constructed around the work scene. Access restrictions will stay in place until the project is completed in July. An increase in construction traffic in the park is expected over the next few weeks.
- City of Lawrence utility workers are working on a water main on Maple Lane from East 19th Street to East 21st Street. Because of the project, the road will be closed to through traffic and parking will be blocked Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Westland Construction is replacing the existing waterline on the west side of North Iowa Street from Riverridge Road to Lakeview Road. The westernmost lane of southbound North Iowa Street from Riverridge Road to Lakeview Road will be closed for installation of the water line, while N. Iowa Street will remain open to two-way traffic throughout construction. Access to southbound North Iowa Street from eastbound Kresge Road will be temporarily restricted to finish connection to the existing water lines at this intersection. The project is part of the Department of Utilities annual water line replacement program.
- BRB Contractors are installing two new force mains, by horizontal drilling from the KAW Wastewater Treatment Plant to Pump Station 04 in North Lawrence. The intersection of Eighth and Walnut streets has been closed since March, and is expected to remain closed until July. Detour signs have been placed near the intersection for local traffic as well as visitors to the park and boat ramp. Traffic will be rerouted to utilize Elm, Oak or Ash streets.
- Because of road construction at 23rd and Iowa streets, public transit route 5 will be rerouted as follows: Northbound and eastbound from Iowa Street will travel right on 24th Street, left on Ridge Court, right on 23rd Street to Hobby Lobby stop and then back to the normal route.
- Due to a road closure in the 900 block of New Hampshire Street, public transit route 7 will rerouted as follows: Southbound on New Hampshire Street to Ninth Street, left on Ninth Street, right on Connecticut Street, right on 11th Street, left on Massachusetts Street and then back to the normal route.
- Because of road construction on Jayhawk Boulevard, routes 10, 11 and 41 will also be rerouted. Buses will use Sunnyside Avenue instead.
South Lawrence Trafficway:
- Eastbound and westbound traffic will be blocked on 31st Street from Louisiana Street to Ousdahl and Louisiana Street just south of 31st Street, beginning on Tuesday. The 31st Street closure, needed for the construction of a bridge-size box culvert and the reconstruction of the street, and the Louisiana Street closure, needed for the construction of the relocated 31st Street slab bridge over Naismith Creek, is expected to remain in effect through summer 2015.
- Northbound and southbound Haskell Avenue is closed from 27th Street to 29th Street around-the-clock for utility work, box culvert installation and reconstruction. The intersection at 29th and Haskell is open, while the rest of the roadway will remain blocked until July 2014 for north and south traffic.