City commissioners will consider approving an agreement that will have the city take over all maintenance responsibilities for a four-mile section of Sixth Street between Iowa Street and Kansas Highway 10. Currently maintenance responsibilities are shared between the city and the state.
The state currently pays the city about $50,000 per year for maintenance costs on the road which doubles as Sixth Street and U.S. Highway 40. The stretch of road also is eligible for certain state grants because it is part of the state highway system. Under the new proposal, the section of street no longer would be part of the state highway system. In exchange for taking over all maintenance responsibilities for the road, KDOT has agreed to provide the city $3.55 million in one time funding for a variety of road projects throughout the community. They include work at Sixth and Iowa streets; 23rd and Iowa; K-10 and Bob Billings Parkway; and traffic signals at W. Sixth Street. City commissioners late last year gave preliminary approval of the agreement, and already have authorized spending for several of the projects.
• Presentation from Black Hills Energy on CNG Initiative.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
• Approve all claims.
• Approve appointments as recommended by the Mayor.
• Bid and purchase items:
a) Approve Change Orders 14, 15, and 16 for PW1224: VenturePark Infrastructure project in amount of $1,356,172.10, Project Number PW1224.
b) Waive bidding requirements and approve the purchase of nine Motorola MW810 Mobile Data Computers for the Lawrence Police Department from Topeka FM as a sole source vendor through the State of Kansas contract #28440, for a total cost of $41,242.50.
c) Authorize the City Manager to approve a purchase order with Marsh McBirney – Hach for continued data delivery services associated with the wastewater collection system’s long-term flow and rainfall monitoring program in the amount of $22,000.
d) Authorize the City Manager to execute an engineering services agreement with Professional Engineering Consultants for design phase engineering services in the amount of $49,457 for project UT1312DS, Bob Billings Parkway Watermain Replacement, George Williams Way to Bobwhite Drive.
• Concur with the following recommendations of the Traffic Safety Commission:
a) Deny the request to establish Yield Signs at the intersection of 30th Street and Kensington Road (TSC Item No. 2; denied 7-0 on 12/2/13).
b) Deny the request to establish No Left Turn on southbound Missouri Street, Arkansas Street and Maine Street at 19th Street (TSC Item No. 4; denied 7-0 on 12/2/13).
c) Deny the request for Traffic Calming on Walnut Street between Sixth Street and Seventh Street (TSC item No. 5; denied 7-0 on 12/3/13).
• Authorize the City Manager to execute a License Agreement with Consolidated Properties Inc. of Lawrence, a Kansas corporation, permitting it to use a portion of the sidewalk that is in the City's Right of Way for a stairway and mechanical lift device to allow access to the basement of the structure located at 7 E. Seventh St.
• Authorize the Mayor to sign a Release of Mortgage for Gene H. and Ursula Humburg, 2103 Orchard Lane.
• Receive city manager's report.
• Consider the following items related to the Vermont Street Parking Garage and the New Hampshire Street Parking Garage:
a) Consider authorizing a change order for $68,488.96, for the Vermont Street parking garage to add security cameras and access control pay on foot stations.
b) Consider approving the parking fee structure for the Vermont Street Parking garage.
c) Consider removing the “free” parking designation for the top level of the New Hampshire Street Parking Garage.
• Consider authorizing the Mayor to sign Agreement Number 251-13, state route transfer (turn-back) US-40, between the City of Lawrence and Kansas Department of Transportation.