City commissioners are being asked to issue $50,000 in debt to fund a turning lane improvement for a portion of Ninth Street.
City engineers are recommending improvements for the intersection of Ninth Street and Emery Road in central Lawrence. The project will involve adding a center turn lane for traffic at the intersection. The road, however, will not widened. Instead the number of lanes at the intersection will be reduced to one lane in each direction. Currently, there are two lanes in each direction. In addition to the center turn lane, the project will include a new traffic signal, new pavement, new sidewalks, and bike lanes on Ninth Street between Michigan Street and Avalon Road. A federal safety grant is paying for the bulk of the work. The $50,000 in debt will provide the local matching funds for the project. If approved, construction work would take place this summer.
• Proclaim the week of January 14 - 21 as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Week.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from 12/3/13.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions.
• Approve all claims. The list of approved claims will be posted to the agenda the day after the City Commission meeting.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
• Bid and purchase items:
a) Authorize the City Manager to approve purchase orders to Elite Construction Services Inc. in the amount of $50,000 each with the option to increase each by $50,000 for concrete work, repair and replacement due to water main leaks and replacement.
b) Set a bid date of February 11, 2014 for Bid No. B1373, for project UT1309DS 23rd Street Waterline Replacement, Phase I.
c) Award the Bid for Bid No. B1362 Project UT1302CS Pump Station 04 Redundant Force Main Project to the low bidder BRB Contractors, Inc. in the amount of $1,435,000 and authorize the City Manager to execute the construction contract.
d) Award the bid for 2014 bus shelter maintenance services for the Lawrence Transit System to Bob’s Janitorial Service and Supply, Inc., in the amount of $13,325.00.
e) Approve payment for 2014 Annual Software Maintenance fees to Harris Software (formerly Innoprise Software) for $89,180.
f) Authorize the City Manager to approve the annual maintenance for the City’s Enterprise License Agreement with ESRI for GIS software for $50,195.89 for the period January 21, 2014 through January 20, 2015.
g) Authorize the City Manager to execute an amendment to a Professional Services Agreement with Olsson Associates, for traffic engineering work associated with potential transit center locations, for $25,795.
• Adopt the following ordinances on second and final reading:
a) Ordinance No. 8950, to rezone (Z-13-00440) approximately 19.3 acres from RS10 (Single-Dwelling Residential) District to RM12-PD (Multi-Dwelling Residential with PD Overlay) District, located at 3901 Peterson Road. (PC Item 2A; approved 9-0 on 12/16/13)
b) Ordinance No. 8952, to rezone (Z-13-00445) approximately 8.68 acres from County A (Agricultural) District to OS-FP (Open Space-Floodplain Overlay) District, located on the northwest corner of 31st and Louisiana streets. (PC Item 4A; approved 8-0 on 12/18/13)
c) Ordinance No. 8953, to annex (A-13-00437) approximately 14.53 acres, located at the northwest corner of N 1300 Road/West 31st and Louisiana streets (PC Item 5A; approved 8-0 on 12/18/13)
d) Ordinance No. 8954, to rezone (Z-13-00438) approximately 14.53 acres from County A (Agricultural) District to RM12D (Multi-Dwelling Residential) District and portions to RM12D-FP (Multi-Dwelling Residential-Floodplain Overlay District) District, located at the northwest corner of N 1300 Road/West 31st and Louisiana streets. (PC Item 5B; Approved 8-0 on 12/18/13)
e) Ordinance No. 8955, to annex (A-13-00443) approximately 21.17 acres located directly north of 1352 N 1300 Road for an extension of Naismith Valley Park. (PC Item 6A; Approved 8-0 on 12/18/13)
f) Ordinance No. 8956, to rezone (Z-13-00449) approximately 21.17 acres from A (Agricultural) District to OS-FP (Open Space-Floodplain Overlay) District, located directly north of 1352 N 1300 Road for an extension of Naismith Valley Park. (PC Item 6B; Approved 8-0 on 12/18/13)
• Authorize the City Manager to enter an agreement with US Bank to act as the City’s depository and purchasing card provider.
• Authorize City Manager to execute final agreement with Schmidtlein Excavating for the airport sanitary sewer project. The total amount paid to Schmidtlein was the original bid amount of $411,033.70 and the change order of $24,777.55 approved by the City Commission in May, 2013.
• Approve the request by Landplan Engineering, P.A. for variance from City Code 19-122, which requires that a fire service connection shall be at least two inches less in diameter than the main from which such fire service connection is made, with respect to 2727 Iowa Street.
• Receive city manager's report.
• Consider authorizing staff to finalize and submit an initial application to the Kansas Arts Industries Commission Creative Economy Support program to fund a City Director of Arts & Culture position, a city-wide cultural plan and associated marketing materials.
• Consider items related to construction at Ninth and New Hampshire streets.
a) Consider approval of use of right-of-way and closure of New Hampshire, from Ninth Street south to the Arts Center crosswalk through March 31, 2014.
b) Consider approval of signs of community interest providing direction to the Arts Center.
• Consider on first reading, Ordinance 8951, pertaining to the salary of City Commissioners and the mayor of the city of Lawrence.
• Consider authorizing payment to the Clerk of the Douglas County District Court in the amount of $114,500 for property acquisition for 1106 Rhode Island St.
• Consider approval of Resolution 7053 for the issuance of General Obligation Bonds for the main trafficway improvements to Ninth Street from Avalon Road to Missouri Street in the amount of $50,000, and authorize City Staff to proceed with design and plan production, Project Number PW1302.
• Consider authorizing the City Manager to execute the purchase agreement for 2201 Kresge Road in the amount of $995,000 for the future location of Solid Waste operations.