Archive for Thursday, February 27, 2014

Where’s the snow? Forecast downgraded to 1 to 3 inches

February 27, 2014, 10:39 a.m. Updated March 2, 2014, 10:01 a.m.

Douglas County remains under a winter storm warning until 6 p.m. today, but the National Weather Service in Topeka has downgraded the snow forecast to an additional 1 to 3 inches. That compares with up to 8 inches NWS had predicted Saturday afternoon.

Parts of Lawrence received up to 2 inches of snow overnight Saturday into Sunday morning, NWS reports. As of 10 a.m., the thermometer reading was just 6 degrees, with a wind chill of 12 below zero. The projected low tonight is 11 below, with wind chills as low as 22 below.

Lawrence street maintenance crews began around-the-clock shifts Saturday afternoon to prepare for the winter storm.

“We recommend that people start to plan ahead of the storm and think about how this may affect them Saturday night, Sunday and for their Monday commute to work,” city spokeswoman Megan Gilliland said. “Plan ahead now in case you need to refill medications, buy groceries or make plans to leave for work a little early for your commute on Monday.”

The city will update www.lawrenceks.org/snow with information on snow operations and any city closures or cancellations.

Several accidents were reported Saturday in conjunction with the weather. Among those was a fatality accident Saturday evening on U.S. Highway 56 and County Road 1061 in Douglas County. Two cars were involved in the accident; two people were killed, one was reported to have minor injuries and a fourth to have no life-threatening injuries. No further information was available Sunday morning.

Send weather-related closings to news@ljworld.com.

Comments

Bob Smith 6 months, 3 weeks ago

We can only imagine how Katy Tornado would be telling this story....

Beator 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I need footies in my jammies like complex Pajama Boy has.....

Julius Nolan 6 months, 3 weeks ago

And tomorrow morning we'll have another wild guess as to what "will" be the weather. Guesses change constantly, approximately every 10-15 minutes. I make no plans based on what the "experts" post.

Leslie Swearingen 6 months, 3 weeks ago

And, here I am up and about much earlier than usual so I won't slip on the ice on my way to the bus stop and break a serious bone. I already broke the funny bone giggling wildly as I post. LOL :-)

Leslie Swearingen 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Well, I made it home and guess what? It is fifty out there. Aaarrggg!

Darin Wade 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Another Heteronym forecastor that demonizes Normal snowfall..typical of herteral host that call Flashfloods 3inches

Leslie Swearingen 6 months, 2 weeks ago

First time I have ever saw the word heteronym, thanks for adding to my vocabulary.

Andrew Stahmer 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Three words for all homeowners with sidewalks... CITY SIDEWALK ORDINANCE

Leslie Swearingen 6 months, 2 weeks ago

You know I just thought that on The Walking Dead the weather is uniformly the same. What if they were caught in the weather that hit Georgia a while back?

Zombies On Ice!