Business

Business

Website encourages investment in Lawrence area

February 24, 2014

The Economic Development Corporation of Lawrence and Douglas County has launched a website to expand its business attraction efforts.

The site, www.EDCLawrence.com, includes statistical and community information and highlights community selling points such as education and culture.

The EDC promotes industrial and commercial growth in Douglas County.

"This site will provide timely, relevant information to companies looking to invest in the area, as well as being a resource for existing local businesses," CEO Greg Williams said in a statement.

Comments

Richard Heckler 10 months ago

The retail market is over loaded and has been for a few years which apparently is the economic displacement policy of city government.

And the population is at 88,000-89,000 according to what I read on february 23,2014.

Lawrence is a low wage city with the highest cost of living in the state of Kansas.

It has been said that overall taxes have increased over 100% which indicates reckless management of the community.

Lawrence residents do not want anymore polluting industries nor does Lawrence want more low wage jobs. Lawrence needs jobs that pay no less than $65,000 a year starting pay.

Bob Zimmerman 10 months ago

Oh my gosh!

They are just getting around to doing this?

This is like basic economic development 101; circa 1998.

I just hope their phone modems still work!

Bud Stagg 10 months ago

They don't want low wages or polluting industries. They don't want to offer incentives. You can't build it here or there, you can't build it anywhere. (Sorry Dr. Seuss) They want their cake and eat it too! The door is wide open for about 3 companies to move here. The other million don't fit because a person who lives Old West Lawrence thinks it might infringe on this or that. They will go lay down in the middle of Mass St. to protest and the city commission will fold.

I'm with Bob, This wasn't done already? What kind of idiots are running this city. The taxes are too high and we have no industry to support new "productive" jobs that pay well. Even Walmart is beginning to change it's ways and is investing $250 Billion in American goods. The great Satan is going to create jobs here. Some low paying jobs are better than no jobs Are we OK with that? I am, it's a start. Lawrence should learn from them.

Bob Smith 10 months ago

Do any of the people who are commenting on this thread and who also own a business start their new employees at $65,000? Yeah, I thought not.

Eric Gruber 10 months ago

I love how the website was made by a firm from Arizona.

Beator 10 months ago

I googled "best areas to invest". Lawrence didn't come up. I didn't go through all 115,000,000 pages though.