City commissioners will consider approving a $1.2 million purchase of a new 105 foot, Pierce quint fire engine.
The city is proposing to trade in two existing fire vehicles: A 2002 fire engine, and a 1998, 100-foot ladder truck. Both pieces of equipment ranked near the bottom of the city's scale that ranks the condition of fire equipment. The new quint — which combines the water hauling abilities of a fire engine and the aerial equipment of a ladder truck — will be ready for delivery in late 2014 or early 2015.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from 12/17/13 and 12/30/13.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions.
• Approve all claims. The list of approved claims will be posted to the agenda the day after the City Commission meeting.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
• Approve appointments as recommended by the Mayor.
• Bid and purchase items:
a) Set a bid opening date of February 25, 2014, for the purchase of a grapple truck for City departments.
b) Set a bid opening date of March 4, 2014 for Bid Number B1404 for 2014 Utilities Department Pump & Motor Rehabilitation Program.
c) Approve purchase of library furniture (Herman Miller portion) from Designed Business Interiors in the amount of $111,031.31, funded from the $18 million library renovation debt issuance.
d) Waive bidding requirements and approve purchase of one (1) John Deere 2500B Precision Cut Greens Mower off the State of Kansas Cooperative Purchasing Agreement, from the John Deere Company, for $27,334.17.
e) Waive bidding requirements and approve as a sole-source purchase, 38 computers for the Lawrence Police Department (off the State of Kansas Contract) from Dell Corporation for a total cost of $36,180.55.
• Authorize Mayor to sign agreements with the Kansas Department of Transportation for construction of: Staff Memo & Attachments
a) Project Number PW1401, KLINK microsurfacing, Sixth Street, Folks Road to K-10;
b) Project Number PW1208, reconstruction of the intersection of 23rd Street and Iowa Street; and
c) Construction Engineering Services for Project PW1303, NInth and Kentucky improvements.
• Authorize staff to advertise Request for Proposals R1400 for Engineering Services for Project UT1402 City of Lawrence Flow Monitoring Program. Staff Memo & Attachments
• Authorize the City Manager to execute a license for the use of city property for agricultural use in the Common Ground Program for: Kevin Prather and Jessi Asmussen of Mellowfields Urban Farm for the 1.0 acres in the northeast corner of the Maple Grove Urban Farm Incubator site.
• Approve as “signs of community interest,” a request from the Lawrence Home Builders Association to place directional signs in specified rights-of-way throughout the City for the 2014 Spring Parade of Homes, for the period February 17 - February 24, 2014.
• Authorize the Mayor to sign a Release of Mortgage for Jesse Fitzpatrick and Brindy Fitzpatrick, 407 Maine St. Staff Memo
• Receive city manager's report
Regular agenda items
• Consider authorizing staff to submit a Transportation Alternatives application to the Kansas Department of Transportation for the Hobbs Park to Constant Park Shared-use path connector project.
• Consider directing staff to distribute a Request for Information for common carriage fiber network.
• Consider waiving bidding requirements and approve the purchase of one (1) Velocity 105’ PUC (Quint) for the Fire/Medical Department from Pierce Manufacturing (off the Houston-Galveston Area Council contract) for $1,120,559.