• The the utilities department is replacing the water line from Louisiana to Alabama Streets on 23rd Street. During construction the right lane of westbound traffic will be closed. Traffic control devices will be in place to direct motorists beginning 300 feet east of Ohio Street and both lanes of traffic open just west of Alabama Street. Staff anticipates this closing to last through the end of July. This schedule may change because of weather and construction needs.
• Contractors are installing two new force mains, by horizontal directional drilling from the KAW Wastewater Treatment Plant to Pump Station 04 in North Lawrence. The intersection of 8th and Walnut is expected to remain closed until the end of the project in July. Detour signs have been posted in the area of 8th and Walnut to accommodate for local traffic as well as park and boat ramp visitors. Barriers will be installed to detour traffic as necessary within the project schedule. Traffic will be rerouted to Elm Street, Oak Street or Ash Street.
• An area in Burcham Park will be fenced off with no public access to the river bank parking and playground equipment areas during construction of the Kaw Water Treatment Plant Raw Water Intake project. Temporary access to the KU Boathouse and park shelter area have been constructed around the work area. The access restrictions are expected to remain in place until work is completed in July 2014.
• Because of the renovation and expansion of the Lawrence Public Library, there are intermittent closures of the street in the 700 block of Vermont or Kentucky when crews need to unload materials for construction.
• During normal working hours, Ridge Court, south of 27th Street, will be closed and traffic will be detoured to Redbud Lane for access to the southern portion of Ridge Court. Overnight, traffic will be limited to one lane of either access or exit to 27th Street.
• Because of a road closure in the 900 block of New Hampshire Street, a public transit route (7) is being detoured as follows: Southbound on New Hampshire to Ninth, left on Ninth, right on Connecticut, right on 11th, left on Massachusetts and back to the normal route. The closure is expected to last through March.
• The utilities department is working on a water main on Maple Lane from E 19th Street to E 21st Street. There will be no parking and the road will be closed to through traffic, Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. until 5:30 p.m.
• Westland Construction is replacing water line on the west side of North Iowa Street from Riverridge to Lakeview Road. North Iowa Street will remain open to two-way traffic throughout construction. The westernmost lane of southbound North Iowa Street from Riverridge to Lakeview will be closed to allow for installation of the water line. Access to southbound North Iowa Street from eastbound Kresge Road will be temporarily restricted.
South Lawrence Trafficway
• In December, a three-year construction project began to complete the six-mile, four-lane Kansas Highway 10/South Lawrence Trafficway freeway. The project will move existing K-10 onto a new alignment that will begin at the south junction of the U.S. 59 and K-10 interchange and reconnect with existing K-10 in East Lawrence. Construction work on the project will be completed in phases. Each phase includes specific work and advance notification will be sent under separate cover for each phase of construction, including planned traffic impacts. The overall scheduled completion date for the project is Fall 2016.
Northbound and southbound E 1750 Road from N 1360 Road to 35th Street/N 1250 Road in Lawrence will be closed, 24/7, for bridge embankment through Spring 2015, weather permitting.
Eastbound and westbound 35th Street from Iowa Street to the Baker Wetlands Visitor Center and 31st Street from E 1700 Road to E 1750 Road in Lawrence will be closed, 24/7 for box culvert construction work through mid-May 2014, weather permitting.
Eastbound and westbound 31st Street from E 1700 Road to E 1750 Road in Lawrence will also be closed 24/7 for box culvert construction work through Spring 2015, weather permitting.
No marked detours will be provided. Drivers should expect minor delays and must use alternate routes during the roadway closures.
Northbound and southbound Haskell Avenue from 27th Street to 29th Street will be closed 24/7 for utility work, box culvert installation and reconstruction work until Spring 2015.