City commissioners will consider approving a new fee schedule that significantly reduces the amount of building permit fees required for a standard residential solar panel installation.
Commissioners are being asked to approve a flat $65 inspection fee for solar panel installations that don't require any structural changes to the building. Currently, some solar panel installations can be charged several hundred dollars in fees. Area solar panel installation companies had asked commissioners to consider the change in fees because they said the amount of work the city must do to inspect a standard solar panel installation is minimal. The city's Building Code Board of Appeals unanimously recommended approval of the fee change.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
• Approve all claims. The list of approved claims will be posted to the agenda the day after the City Commission meeting.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
• Accept dedication of new utility easements for Minor Subdivision, MS-13-00341, Haskell Place No. 4, located at 2035 Barker Ave. Submitted by Grob Engineering Services LLC, for Architectural Consulting Source, property owner of record.
• Authorize the Mayor to execute an agreement with the Kansas Department of Transportation for the 9th Street and Kentucky Street Intersection Improvements, Project No. PW1303.
• Authorize the City Manager to enter into an agreement with Douglas County for the installation of a pole-mounted emergency siren located approximately 400 feet north of the centerline of westbound K-10 Highway on the west side and within the right-of-way of East Hills Drive.
• Approve the revised Title VI Program (2013-2015) and associated Policy Statement as required by the Federal Transportation Administration for the Lawrence Transit System.
• Authorize the Mayor to sign a Subordination Agreement for Robyn Brecheisen (Robyn Savannah), 1504 E. 21st Terrace.
• Receive city manager's report.
• Consider adopting on first reading, Ordinance No. 8862, authorizing the issuance of $40 million in industrial revenue bonds for the Kansas Athletics portion of the Rock Chalk Park project.
• Consider adopting on first reading Ordinance No. 8915, amending the Sign Code in Chapter V, Article 18, Section 1841.6, by adding Section 1841.6(D). The proposed amendment will allow changeable, digital display of gasoline and fuel product and numeric price information on ground/surface mounted (monument type) signs in Commercial or Industrial Districts, limited to not more than twenty-five percent (25%) of the total sign face area.
• Consider adopting on first reading Ordinance No. 8916, amending the Permit Fee Schedule in Chapter V, Article 1, Section 176, by adding Note F. The proposed amendment will establish a uniform fee of $65 for solar, thermal, and photovoltaic systems requiring no structural changes to the building.
• Consider adopting Joint City Resolution No. 7045/County Resolution No. , establishing a steering committee to oversee and guide the review and updating of Horizon 2020, the Comprehensive Plan for the City of Lawrence and Unincorporated Douglas County; and consider authorizing the Mayor to appoint steering committee members as noted in the resolution.