City commissioners will consider rezoning an old duplex property at 804 Pennsylvania St. to be used for a neighborhood bistro and drinking establishment.
The old building is just west of the multistory Poehler Lofts building in East Lawrence. The developer of the lofts is seeking to convert the building — which was built in the late 1800s as a small warehouse and later converted to a duplex — into a bistro and drinking establishment. Residents of the neighborhood, however, have sought conditions to be placed on the zoning to ensure that it doesn't eventually become a traditional bar at some point in the future.
• Proclaim Thursday, Oct. 31 to be Halloween Trick-or-Treating Night.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from Sept. 24 and Oct. 1.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
• Approve all claims. The list of approved claims will be posted to the agenda the day after the City Commission meeting.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
• Bid and purchase items:
a. Set a Bid Date of Nov. 19 for Bid Number B1359, Project UT1102KA Kaw WTP Raw Water Intake Replacement
b) Approve purchase of a John Deere 7700 Precision Cut Fairway Mower off the State of Kansas contract from the John Deere Co., for a total of $44,634.01.
c) Approve sole source purchase of six handheld computers for reading water meters and associated docking stations to Itron Inc. in the amount of $18,063.
d) Authorize the City Manager to Execute Supplemental Agreement No. 1, in the amount of $1,566,900, to the Existing Engineering Services Agreement with Black & Veatch Corp. for Project UT1304 Wakarusa Wastewater Treatment Plant and Conveyance Corridor Facilities.
e) Authorize payment of $15,325 to the Lawrence Journal-World for the printing and dissemination of the 2014 Winter/Spring Activities Guide.
• Adopt on first reading Ordinance No. 8931, amending Section 19 of the City Code to set the nonemergency service charge for utility customers at $25.
• Adopt the following ordinances on second and final reading:
a) Ordinance No. 8921, amending the Contractor Licensing Regulations in Chapter V, Article 15, Section 5-1513 to correct an error in the Section number; add Section 5-1512.1 to create a Class L Limited Specialty Contractor category; and amend Section 5-1515 to establish parameters under which a Class L Limited Contractor License may be issued.
b) Ordinance No. 8835, to rezone (Z-12-00325) approximately 10.56 acres from RS7 (Single-Dwelling Residential) to RS5 (Single-Dwelling Residential) for Fairfield Farms East Addition, located SE of 25th Terrace and O’Connell Road. (PC Item 1; approved 9-0 on 1/28/13)
• Adopt Resolution No. 7048, authorizing the issuance of general obligation bonds in the amount of $120,000; and approve project PW1346, downtown street light replacement project.
• Approve Site Plan SP-13-00376 and sidewalk dining and hospitality license for Leroy’s located at 729 New Hampshire St. Submitted by Paul Werner Architects, for Jean S. Hetzel Trustee, property owner of record.
• Authorize the Mayor to sign a Release of Mortgage for Charlotte Pessoni, 1241 Delaware St., and Edward R. and Irene Armstrong Neider, 1017 Home Circle.
• Receive city manager's report
• Consider approving a request to rezone, Z-13-00287, approximately .27 acre from RM12D-UC (Multi-Dwelling Residential with Urban Conservation Overlay) District to CS-UC (Commercial Strip with Urban Conservation Overlay) District, located at 804 Pennsylvania St.
• Conduct public hearing and consider recommendations from the Historic Resources Commission to designate the following properties as Landmarks on the Lawrence Register of Historic Places:
- 900 Rhode Island St., Turnhalle Staff Report & Attachments
- 1500 Haskell Ave., Kibbee House Staff Report & Attachments
- 1734 Kent Terrace, Joseph Savage House Staff Report & Attachments
• Consider approving use of right-of-way and closure of the northbound lane of New Hampshire, from Ninth Street south to the Arts Center through March 1, 2014.
• City Auditor will present audit recommendation follow-up memo and updated information on street lights.