Archive for Thursday, October 10, 2013

KU moves step closer on proposed $65.7 million business school

October 10, 2013

— A proposed $65.7 million business school at Kansas University will move a step closer to reality next week.

KU is asking the Kansas Board of Regents to authorize the KU Endowment Association to construct the 166,000-square-foot school.

KU has already raised a substantial portion of the cost of the project, according to a memo to the regents.

"Rather than selling bonds for the project, the KU Endowment Association has agreed to advance funds for the project and will be repaid as the pledges mature over several years," the memo said.

Private gifts will fund the design and construction costs of $55.7 million, while $10 million in university resources will be used to equip the building, and move some popular tennis courts elsewhere on campus.

When the new building is finished, Summerfield Hall, which houses the current business school, will be used for other purposes.

The regents, which approved the project in concept last year, will take up the issue again on Wednesday. KU is seeking approval for the KU Endowment Association to act as the contracting authority for the project, which will then be overseen by the University Design and Construction Management Office.

Last year, John B. Dicus, the chairman and chief executive officer of Capitol Federal Savings in Topeka, and a KU alum, announced a $20 million "lead" gift from the bank's Capitol Federal Foundation to go toward the new building.

The six-story structure will be located on Naismith Drive directly across from Allen Fieldhouse.

Neeli Bendapudi, dean of the business school, has said construction could start in 2014 and the building could open in time for the 2015-16 school year.

Comments

Richard Hitower 6 months, 2 weeks ago

"Anyone who's looked at or been in Summerfield knows that it is a sad excuse for a business school building in the modern age. I'm just sad I'll be finishing my MBA long before the new building opens."

That place was a dump 20 years ago. I can't imagine what it is like now.

"Constructive, engaged comments with no trolling. Excellent decision on the real names LJWorld."

Where is your name? Also, the LJW had fewer than 15 comments yesterday.

Joshua Montgomery 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Phil Schiff 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I find the proposed design strikingly beautiful. It is light, varied in texture, and sensitive to context. Limestone, a prevalent campus vernacular, predominates the building. Is the red material raw metal? That would be interesting. My only concerns are at the entrance, where the deep overhang might create a dark, unwelcoming space and the stairway, which seems daunting. I agree, KU boasts one of the country's most beautiful campuses. It must be preserved.

Jake Esau 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Austin Falley 6 months, 2 weeks ago

We agree. The renderings depicted here are actually what the School of Business originally commissioned to help in the development process.

The actual architecture firm, Gensler, has not yet released renderings for the new building. Fear not. This will be a beautiful new space to complement our campus.

Austin Falley Communications Director KU School of Business

JayhawkFan1985 6 months, 2 weeks ago

KU is one of the most beautiful college campuses in the country. Special care needs to be taken with each new building that is built to preserve that. We can't have an ugly but functional building. The picture shown is what I would call ugly.

Beer Guy 6 months, 2 weeks ago

My tuition triples and forces me to drop but lets spend more money to attract rich kids. Poor kids don't need school anyways. They're too busy digging ditches.