• Traffic has been moved to the newly constructed pavement on the west side of Iowa Street to allow for reconstruction of the original pavement on the east side of the roadway. Traffic will still only have one lane in each direction but this shift signals the start of the next phase of the Iowa Street Reconstruction Project. The city will shift traffic after rush hour on Thursday. The project is on schedule to be completed in late November.
• Through traffic has been opened on Wakarusa Drive. Lane closures to the outside lanes will remain while construction occurs on Oread West Drive and the sidewalks on the east and west side of Wakarusa Drive.
• City maintenance crews will begin pavement patching on Kasold, from Harvard to Bob Billings, starting Monday. There will be signed, single-lane closures during work hours, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• The city has begun water main installation on Oxford Road, from Iowa Street to Hilltop. The road will be closed to thru traffic with no parking on the street, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
• Because of the renovation and expansion of the Lawrence Public Library, there are intermittent closures of the street in the 700 block of Vermont or Kentucky when crews need to unload materials for construction.
• The city of Lawrence will replace a water main on Ponderosa from East 27th Street to East 28th Terrace. There will be no parking, and the road will be closed to through traffic from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
• Kentucky Street from Seventh to Eighth streets is down to one lane. There will be intermittent closures of Kentucky Street when crews need to unload materials for the Lawrence Public Library or parking garage construction.
• The city's utilities department is working on a water main on Ponderosa from East 27th Street to East 28th Terrace. There will be no parking and the road will be closed to through traffic, Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
• Garney Construction will be installing waterline and constructing a metering station for the City of Baldwin and Douglas County Rural Water District No. 4. Installation of the watermain will commence at O'Connell Road and Prairie Terrace and continue south approximately 2,000 feet north of 1100 Road on the city-owned property for the future Wakarusa Wastewater Treatment Plant. The project also includes the replacement of an existing Rural Water District waterline along 1175 Road from 1600 Road to 1500 Road (Haskell Avenue). Residents can expect to see construction equipment, materials, and construction activity within public right-of-way and utility easements. No access restrictions, lane closures, or detours are planned as part of this project.
U.S. Highway 56
• Work on the U.S. 56 Multi-Bridge Replacement Project is scheduled to be completed in mid-October. In April, all lanes of eastbound and westbound U.S. 56 from E 1400 Road to 6th Street in Baldwin City became closed to through traffic and were scheduled to remain closed during the projection's duration. A 30-mile marked state detour route was provided. Eastbound traffic detoured via southbound U.S. 59 to northbound I-35 to northbound K-33 back to U.S. 56. Westbound U.S. 56 traffic will detour via southbound K-33 to southbound I-35 to northbound U.S. 59 back to U.S. 56.