Commissioners will be asked to approve an agreement that will allow construction crews to install a special underground collection system in the 800 block of Ohio Street as part of a program to contain a major 2006 gasoline spill that contaminated groundwater in the area.
The Presto Convenience store near Ninth and Louisiana streets suffered a major gasoline leak in 2006 that contaminated groundwater in the area. A system of trenches and monitoring wells were installed under the direction of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. Results from the monitoring wells indicate additional collections trenches are needed to stop the underground plume of gasoline from spreading. The plume isn't thought to create any immediate dangers for residents of the area, KDHE and city officials have said. Commissioners delayed approval of the trench two weeks ago because a concern was expressed about the damage the work may do to Ohio Street. A city memo states the work to install the system will involve digging a trench in the street and then covering it back up once the equipment is installed. Public works officials said the work will have about the same impact on the street as a typical waterline repair project.
• Proclaim Nov. 16 – Dec. 24 as the Salvation Army Christmas Kettle Season.
• Proclaim the month of November 2013 as Alzheimer’s Awareness Month.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from Oct. 22 and Nov. 5.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
• Approve all claims.
• Bid and purchase items:
a) Set bid opening date of Dec. 3, 2013 for the owner-provided gym equipment for the recreation facility at Rock Chalk Park.
b) Set a bid opening date of Dec. 17, 2013 for Bid No. B1363, for project UT1308DS North Iowa Street Waterline Replacement.
c) Set a bid date of Dec. 17, 2013 for Bid Number B1362, Project UT1302CS Pump Station 04 Redundant Force Main.
d) Set a bid date of Dec. 17, 2013 for Bid No. B1367 project UT0701DS Kaw Water Treatment Plant Transmission Main Phase I.
e) Approve sale of surplus equipment on GovDeals.
f) Award the construction contract for Bid No. B1355 to Banks Construction, LLC, in the amount of $191,800.50, and authorize the City Manager to execute the construction contract for project UT1309DS – 23rd Street Waterline Replacement, Phase III (Iowa to Ousdahl).
g) Authorize the City Manager to approve the payment to Cogent for $19,439.27 for the rental of pump and piping during repairs of the Kaw Water Treatment Plant intake pump station.
h) Authorize payment to Samih K. Staiteh, Trustee and Tamara Agha-Jaffar, Trustee in the amount of $25,000 for temporary easement acquisition at 1000 N. Third St. for the Kaw Transmission Main Project.
i) Authorize payment to Southwest Properties, LLC in the amount of $49,200 for required property interests needed for the 23rd Street and Iowa project.
j) Authorize the City Manager to enter into a contract with the Kansas Biological Survey/The University of Kansas Center for Research, Inc., to complete the Biota Study on the Wakarusa River as required by permit, in the amount of $97,618.
• Adopt the following ordinances on second and final reading:
a) Ordinance No. 8934, to annex (A-13-00340) approximately 9.842 acres located at 1352 North 1300 Road. (PC Item 3A; approved 8-0-1 on 10/21/13)
b) Ordinance No. 8935 and Ordinance No. 8939 to rezone (Z-13-00337) approximately 9.842 acres from County A (Agricultural) District to CR-FP (Regional Commercial-Floodplain Overlay) District, located at 1352 North 1300 Road. (PC Item 3B; approved 8-0-1 on 10/21/13)
c) Ordinance No. 8932, to rezone (Z-13-00350) approximately 2.186 acres from RS10 (Single-Dwelling Residential) District to RS7 (Single-Dwelling Residential) District, at 1146 Haskell Ave. (PC Item 2A; approved 9-0 on 10/21/13)
d) Ordinance No. 8936, to rezone (Z-13-00351) approximately 1.785 acres from RS10 (Single-Dwelling Residential) District to IL (Limited Industrial District) District, located at 1146 Haskell Ave. (PC Item 2B; approved 8-1 on 10/21/13)
e) Ordinance No. 8933, to rezone (Z-13-00408) approximately 2.384 acres from RS10 (Single-Dwelling Residential) District to OS (Open Space) District, located at 1146 Haskell Ave. (PC Item 2C; approved 9-0 on 10/21/13)
f) Ordinance No. 8937, for a Text Amendment (TA-13-00336) to the City of Lawrence Land Development Code, Chapter 20, to include Bar or Lounge as a permitted use in the CN2 (Neighborhood Commercial Center) District.
• Adopt Resolution No. 7050 authorizing the use of the City’s eminent domain authority for the 23rd and Iowa Street intersection improvements and a survey of the interests to be condemned.
• Receive the letter from the FAA for initiation of work for proposed AIP (Airport Improvement Program); Project No. 3-20-0047-020.
• Concur with the following recommendations of the Traffic Safety Commission:
a) Approve traffic calming devices on Learnard Avenue between 19th Street and 23rd Street (TSC item #2; approved 8-0 on 10/07/13). No funding is currently available for this project.
b) Deny the request to establish a 25 mph speed limit on Lawrence Avenue between 31st Street and Clinton Parkway (TSC item #4; denied 8-0 on 10/07/13). c) Deny the request to establish a multi-way stop at the intersection of Kasold Drive and Riverview Road (TSC item #5; denied 8-0 on 10/07/13).
• Authorize the City Manager to execute a contract with Parker Ag Services, LLC for the 2014 Biosolids Land Application Program with the option to extend for four additional 1 year periods with both parties’ consent.
• Authorize the Vice-Mayor to execute a Memorandum of Understanding with the University of Kansas for coordinating transit operations.
• Authorize the City Manager to execute an Access Easement Agreement with Unified School District #497 that would grant USD #497 access to its property, the Holcom School Subdivision, off West 25th Street.
• Authorize the City Manager to execute a five year Beverage Agreement with PepsiCo to be the exclusive supplier of non-alcoholic beverages for the Parks & Recreation Department, beginning January 1, 2014.
• Authorize the Vice-Mayor to sign a Subordination Agreement for Angela Nascimento, 817 Alabama Street.
• Receive city manager's report
• Receive presentation from Mother Earth News.
• Consider authorizing the City Manager to enter into a License Agreement with Presto Convenience Stores, LLC to allow for the installation and maintenance of ground water collection equipment within the right of way in the 800 block of Ohio Street.
• Consider accepting donation of property for the creation of the Sandra J. Shaw Community Health Park and the Outside for a Better Inside trail.
• Consider Traffic Safety Commission recommendation to deny the request for traffic calming at Montana Street and Park Hill Terrace (TSC item #3; denied 7-1 on 10/07/13).
• Consider Traffic Safety Commission recommendation to establish no parking along the east side of Jana Drive from 50 feet north of Rogers Place to 50 feet south of Rogers Place, and consider adopting on first reading Ordinance No. 8941, establishing no parking (TSC item #6; approved 6-2 on 10/07/13).
• Receive presentation of 2013/2014 snow operation and preparations.