City commissioners will consider a host of issues related to water and sewer rates in the city, including a plan that would raise rates over a five-year period to pay for major infrastructure projects.
The latest recommendation from staff members would raise the average water and sewer bill by about 6 percent in 2013. The plan also calls for similar increases in years 2014 through 2018, but future commissions would have to approve each of those increases. The added revenue would help fund construction of a new sewer treatment plant south of the Wakarusa River, and a variety of maintenance and upgrades to the water and sewer system throughout town. In the latest recommendation, those improvements now include an estimated $19 million to address occasional taste and odor issues with the city’s water.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from Feb. 12, Feb. 19 and Feb. 26.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
• Approve all claims.
• Bid and purchase items:
a) Award bid for contract mowing the landscape areas 1 and 2 for the Parks and Recreation Department to Golden Rules Lawn Care for $85,760.
b) Award City Bid No. B1307: Eight (8) 2013 Ford Police utility Interceptors to Shawnee Mission Ford in the amount of $205,600.
c) Award City Bid No. B1311, Project No. PW1318 - 2013 Microsurfacing Program, to Bettis Asphalt & Construction, Inc., in the total amount of $474,300.50.
• Adopt on first reading the following ordinances:
a) Ordinance No. 8843, amending Sections 6-108.16 and 6-804 of the City Code regarding solicitor/peddler license fees.
b) Ordinance No. 8852, prohibiting the possession of glass bottles and other glass containers in the downtown district from noon March 30 through noon April 1 and noon April 6 through noon April 9.
• Adopt on second and final reading, the following ordinances:
a) Ordinance No. 8848, providing for the dedication of public right-of-way on the east side of Park West Subdivision and Glenwood Addition No. 2, additions to the City of Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas (along Eisenhower Drive on the Northwest side of City park property generally located at Wakarusa Drive and Overland Drive).
b) Ordinance No. 8849, providing for the dedication of public right-of-way on the south side of Lot 3A, Lot Split of Lot 2 and Lot 3, University Corporate and Research Park Subdivision No. 1, an addition to the City of Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas (along Bob Billings Parkway adjacent to the Investigation and Training Center).
c) Ordinance No. 8850, providing for the dedication of public right-of-way on the south side of Tract A of the amended plat of Quail Run No. 2, an addition to the City of Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas (along Bob Billings Parkway adjacent to the McGrew Nature Trail).
• Adopt Resolution No. 7018, City support of Poehler Phase II’s development of affordable housing in the City of Lawrence.
• Approve a Special Event, SE-13-00041, for antique auto show parking May 3-5, 2013, to be located on the western portion of the Farmland property, adjacent to the Douglas County Fairgrounds. Submitted by Ralph Reschke, for the Antique Automobile Club of America.
• Approve vacation of existing utility, drainage, and pedestrian easements and dedication of new utility, drainage and pedestrian easements to accommodate the reduced number of lots and larger lot sizes included in the Minor Subdivision, MS-13-00026, for Landon Court Addition, located at 200-266 Landon Court.
• Approve Comprehensive Plan Amendment, CPA-5-5-11, to Chapter 6 of Horizon 2020 to add policies for the Auto-Related Commercial Centers designation. Adopt on first reading, Joint City Ordinance No. 8841/County Resolution No. , for Comprehensive Plan Amendment (CPA-5-5-11) to Chapter 6 of Horizon 2020 to add policies for the Auto-Related Commercial Centers designation. (PC Item 4; approved 9-0 on 1/28/13)
• Approve temporary use of right-of-way permit for the Lawrence Art Guild to close Massachusetts Street from North Park Street to South Park Street on Sunday, May 5 from 6 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. for the 2013 Art in the Park Art Fair.
• Approve the following related Kansas Relays events to be held in downtown Lawrence on April 17 and April 18:
a) Approve a Temporary Use of Public Right-of-Way Permit for the closure of the 100 block of E. Eighth Street and the intersection of Eighth Street and New Hampshire Street from 6 a.m. April 17 to 6 a.m. April 18 and the closure of the 100 block of W. Eighth Street from 11 a.m. to midnight on April 18.
b) Adopt on first reading, Ordinance No. 8845, authorizing the possession and consumption of alcoholic liquor on the 100 block of E. Eighth St and the intersection of Eighth Street and New Hampshire Street from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. April 17, and on the 100 block of W. Eighth Street from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. April 18.
• Authorize the Mayor to sign Subordination Agreements for Arthur and Shirley Tarpy, 625 Lake Street; James Martinez, 2471 Brookside Drive; and Ruth Townsend, 1061 Home Circle.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Conduct public hearing to consider the vacation of a right-of-way on Redbud Lane, south of 26th Street in Southridge Addition No. 3, as requested by property owner Bluejay Apartments, Inc.
• Consider the following items related to Water and Wastewater master plan:
a) Receive update on 2010 Census challenge and impact to water and wastewater master plan.
b) Consider adopting the 2012 Water and Wastewater Master Plans.
c) Consider adopting the 2013–2017 Capital Improvement Program (CIP) for Scenario 5 – Taste, Odor, & Microtoxins.
d) Consider adopting on first reading, Ordinance No. 8846, adopting the 2013 Water and Wastewater Rates.
e) Consider adopting on first reading, Ordinance No. 8847, adopting the 2013–2017 Water and Wastewater System Development Charges (SDCs).
f) Consider authorizing the City Manager to execute Supplemental Agreement No.1 to the existing Engineering Services Agreement with Burns & McDonnell for Project UT0701DS – Kaw WTP Water Transmission Main Redefining the Project Scope and reducing the contract amount by $343,996 to $787,658.
g) Consider authorizing the City Manager to execute an Engineering Services Agreement with Burns & McDonnell in the amount of $137,128 for Project UT1209 – Taste and Odor, and Algal Toxin Water Treatment Process Evaluation.
h) Consider authorizing staff to negotiate a Supplemental Agreement to the existing Engineering Services Contract with Black & Veatch for Engineering Services for Project UT1102KA Kaw WTP Raw Water Intake Replacement.
i) Consider setting a bid date of April 9, 2013 for Bid No. B1314; UT1212-2013 Sanitary Sewer Cured-In-Place-Pipe Rehabilitation Project.
j) Consider authorizing staff to advertise Request for Proposals R1308 for Engineering Services for Project UT1304 Wakarusa Wastewater Treatment Plant, and Request for Proposals R1309 for Engineering Services for Project UT1306 Wakarusa Conveyance Corridor Facilities, and consider authorizing staff to negotiate with the Kansas Biological Survey for a Biota Study on the Wakarusa River.
k) Consider authorizing staff to advertise Request for Proposals R1307 for Engineering Services for Project UT1305 – Rapid Inflow and Infiltration Reduction.
l) Consider awarding the construction contract for Bid No. B1305 to the low bidder, Garney Construction, in the amount of $1,967,967 and consider authorizing the City Manager to execute the construction contract; consider authorizing the City Manager to execute Supplemental Agreement No. 2 with Wilson and Company in the amount of $33,800 for construction phase engineering services for project UT1206DS O’Connell Road Waterline.
m) Consider authorizing staff to distribute Request for Proposals for Oread Tank and Pump Station replacement project.