City construction projects are now mapped at lawks.us/construction-map.
• Developers for the Ninth and New Hampshire street hotel construction project have pulled a right-of-way permit valid from July 17 to Sept. 10. Traffic will move in all directions at the intersection, but lanes will shift and in some cases turn lanes will be removed during the project timeline. The alley behind the project will be closed during at least the first phase of the project.
• City street maintenance crews will replace a section of the curb and gutter along the south side of West 23rd Street from Iowa Street to Louisiana Street. Right-lane restrictions will be in place on eastbound of West 23rd Street on an intermittent basis from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• The Iowa Street reconstruction project has moved into its second phase. The eastbound and westbound lanes of 15th Street/Bob Billings Parkway will be closed around the clock at the intersection with U.S. Highway 59/Iowa Street. Drivers should expect major delays and will need to find alternate routes during the closure.
• Bob Billings Parkway eastbound lanes, from Kasold to Crestline drives, will be reconstructed with a new water line installed along the roadway between Kasold Drive and Iowa Street. The eastbound lanes are shut down to traffic and all traffic is shifted to the westbound lanes, with one lane of traffic in each direction. Speed limits will be reduced to 20 miles per hour. Motorists are advised to expect major delays and avoid the area if possible.
• Reconstruction on Wakarusa Drive began May 20 at Bob Billings Parkway. The first phase of the project includes Wakarusa Drive from north of Research Park Way to south of Bob Billings Parkway. It is expected to take six to eight weeks before phase two begins.
• Kentucky Street from Seventh to Eighth streets is down to one lane. There will be intermittent closures of Kentucky Street when crews need to unload materials for the Lawrence Public Library or parking garage construction.
• A water main will be replaced on 19th Street from Maple Lane to Harper Avenue. The street will remain open but intermittent lane restrictions along 19th Street and temporary access restrictions at the intersections of Maple Lane and Harper Avenue will be necessary to complete the project. Construction is scheduled to be completed by September.
• Crack sealing is scheduled north of Sixth Street in the neighborhoods east and west of Monterey Way. There may be temporary lane closures during working hours.
• The city of Lawrence will replace a water main on Oxford Road from Iowa Street to Hilltop Drive. There will be no parking, and the road will be closed to through traffic from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday until mid-August.
U.S. Highway 56
• All lanes of eastbound and westbound U.S. Highway 56 from East 1400 Road to Sixth Street in Baldwin City will be closed to through traffic as repairs are made on the road. A 30-mile marked detour route is provided. The project is expected to be competed in mid-October prior to the Maple Leaf Festival.
Old U.S. Highway 59
• Northbound and southbound East 1300 Road from North 1000 to North 650 roads will be closed to through traffic for a bridge replacement project on Old U.S. 59. Completion date: late August.